Author Topic: Why you flush brake systems  (Read 88 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
Why you flush brake systems
« on: Friday,May 12, 2023, 06:55:22 AM »
And what it looks like if you don't.  Besides the absolutely knackered fluid...rust and other ick is waiting in there. 

The rubber seals for the caliper just crumbled in my hand.  Off to soak in evaporust to clean up the big rust bits in the bores, then 440 grit to further clean, rinse with (nonchlorinated) Brakekleen, and rebuild.

FWIW, the break-away torque for the 4 bolts holding the halves together was 24 ft/lbs.  I have a fresh quad seal for the inter-half fluid channel...and will use that figure for reassembly.  That jives with the number I've used in the past for these Girling calipers...

Have fresh set of Greenstuff EBC pads, full rebuild kit (including aforementioned quad seal for the halves) gubbins for the caliper bodies, stainless pistons; the antirattle shields and pins seem ok...this is not a concours resto but a repair to get back on the road...if it was a resto, I'd be off to a bead blast cabinet to clean up those dirty calipers.  As it is, I'm lacking in SOME 'nice to have in the garage' things (blast cabinet, parts washer, press among them), so, will have to make do with what I have.
« Last Edit: Friday,May 12, 2023, 06:59:24 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.