Author Topic: I'm going Seven shopping  (Read 505 times)

Offline jbcollier

I'm going Seven shopping
« on: Friday,September 30, 2022, 07:58:04 AM »
I’d like a roadster again and I’m going to check out a ’68 Lotus Seven series 3 with the base crossflow, supposedly in largely original condition.  I have all the books and am going to check the frame carefully (front by the rear mounting point of the lower arms, rear at the axle mounts).  The engine is still stock so the running gear should be fine other than the usual consumables.  Any advice from listers with Seven experience?

Offline BDA

Re: I'm going Seven shopping
« Reply #1 on: Friday,September 30, 2022, 08:10:32 AM »
The only experience I have with 7s is when a friend let me drive his. Driving it was about the most fun you can have on the street with four wheels!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Friday,September 30, 2022, 09:33:58 AM »
Take goggles/helmet and warm clothing.

Wire wool can remove the flies from your teeth, but plays havoc with your gums.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #3 on: Friday,September 30, 2022, 09:48:22 AM »
Well, I have a set of chassis drawings should you need them.  Definitely check the bracket at the base of the rear axle casing and see if the bushings are in good shape.  Dear old dad had the bracket part ways with the axle on his early Cateringvan, luckily at low speed.  The axle actually pulled the driveshaft out of the gearbox and left a large bulge on the tunnel.  I hate to thing what would've happened at speed.  Also have a look at the upper trailing arm mounts at the chassis end. 

The unfortunate thing about the Lotus built S2/3 chassis is it does lack the triangulation that the S1 had, and what Caterham added, so there could be some chassis issues if the previous owners have "improved" it.  The steering rack mounts aren't the best but can be easily modified to make them stronger (Caterham did this).  The lower chassis tubes are hidden in the cockpit area, so no easy way of inspecting them without removing the ally cladding. 

Other than that, they are very simple to work on, very fun to drive, and if it's a crossflow then relatively easy to make decent power.  The single downdraft, though stock, makes next to no power.  I was very unimpressed with the one that came through the shop in stock form. 

Good luck with the search and please post pics if you do get one.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Friday,September 30, 2022, 01:04:57 PM »
Great one. As you already covered not much to go wrong. Chassis and panels is the main thing. Cross flow lump is easily tuneable. You can alway twin cam head it. But to be honest you can as much power with the cross flow.. I’m jealous. 
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 09:26:52 AM »
Bought it.  These photos are from the seller:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Seven-S3/

It has had a replacement chassis a long time ago.  I'm actually happy about this as the original chassises were more than a little on the weak side.  I was tossing and turning nights wondering if I would take a torch to it and fit the required reinforcements.

I have a 4-2-1 header on its way and the 4-1 with the drain pipe exhaust will go in the bin.  I'll fit a Magnaflow muffler with a tail pipe out the back as per original.

Offline BDA

« Reply #6 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 09:47:13 AM »
Congratulations!!! I'm envious, JB!! She's a beauty. I am told the "swoopy" front fenders can catch the wind but I still prefer them to to the motorcycle style.

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #7 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 10:45:33 AM »
Great looking machine.   Looks like a lot of fun.   I have to ask how did you find it.   I didn't notice any ads for it, but I usually only check the commonl classified suspects within the province..

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 11:34:54 AM »
7cars out of Red Deer:

https://7cars.ca

Terry is very knowledgeable and friendly.  He is also super busy as his main gig is as an FIA rep and driving instructor.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #9 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 11:38:40 AM »
BDA, a Seven is a proverbial brick.  Mine will have about 84 hp and top out just shy of a 100.  If you hop it up, you can get to 120 hp no problem but the aerodynamics are so bad you only gain maybe 5 or 10 mph in the top speed.  I've no plans to go much over 70mph in it as that is about the limit before you are just chucking fuel out the back for little more effect.
« Last Edit: Monday,October 03, 2022, 04:51:32 PM by jbcollier »

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #10 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 12:48:45 PM »
7cars out of Red Deer:

https://7cars.ca

Terry is very knowledgeable and friendly.  He is also super busy as his main gig is as an FIA rep and driving instructor.

Thanks, another site for me to drool over.   :)

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #11 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 04:42:09 PM »
I own a 1972 Lotus Seven S4. I love it and it is an absolute blast to drive!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #12 on: Monday,October 03, 2022, 04:54:38 PM »
Cool.  I was looking at an S4 as well.  I grew up in the 70s and wasn't keen on constantly triggering flashbacks so I went for an older one.  I think S4s are actually more advanced and certainly the best way to go if you want a factory installed TC engine.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2022, 03:01:49 AM »
Congratulations, JB.

It occurs to me that a Seven makes a Europa look like an entirely practical daily driver.   8)

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2022, 06:05:11 AM »
That pretty much sums up my wife's reaction.  And, she hasn't had to enter with the top up yet!