Author Topic: Slow leaks  (Read 178 times)

Offline dakazman

Slow leaks
« on: Thursday,September 22, 2022, 03:33:57 PM »
  I’m trying to get my 84 El Camino ready for the road by November, yes my birthday month.
I replaced every component except for the filter dryer hard line . I thought I found it with a crack in the line to the condenser. Slow is 10 lbs of vacuum in 6 hours. Was at 28 .
 I’m not up on ac leaks, but I did pressurize system to 100 psi and couldn’t detect a single leak.  I used a leak detector ands sniffer ,…HELP!
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Thursday,September 22, 2022, 03:35:49 PM by dakazman »

Offline Richard48Y

Re: Slow leaks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,September 22, 2022, 06:55:31 PM »
I removed every AC component from my '68.
It still has wind wings and I despise the complications of AC.
Particularly since Gov. Org. keeps taking away the correct refrigerant.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Friday,September 23, 2022, 05:07:00 AM »
Do you have dye in the system? Is it R134 or R12? If it's the cheaper, I would run it with the dye. Then use a uv/blacklight flash light, they're cheap. It will glow. I know compressors like to leak at the front seal. I always change shraeder valves if I empty it too.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Friday,September 23, 2022, 10:20:27 AM »
  No Freon 134 in system yet .  I had a major crack in a new condenser, had it welded up and pressurized . Seemed good so I installed it , then just vacuumed down and didn’t use a dye because of no Freon. Then I pressurized the system with air and checked with a stethoscope , that’s when I found the crack in pipe under hose and replaced the hose from dryer to compressor and continues to the condenser.  I also replaced the evaporator , compressor and receiver dryer.  Double checked all o rings, but I did use the old low pressure switch. The only old piece is the high pressure side line to the condenser , it’s pipe so I left it in .
  I have it vacuumed down now with that low pressure switch capped, hopefully that’s it .
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,September 24, 2022, 05:05:24 PM »
  I went back to basics and vacuumed down my gauges and pump , all good. However this time instead of opening both the low and high sides I just did one at a time . Turns out the high side when open was leaking .
 So glad to get past that part of servicing the ac.

That you Clifton, I do have the leak detector and now that I’ll add the Freon I will use it on the connections now that I’m in the ballpark.
 I had a professional service do my wife’s van and losses 5 lbs of Freon in three days , when I went back to report it , they said they would not cover the loss . $400 down the drain, and now it’s up to me to find that leak.
  Rich , I wish I could rip these out .
Dakazman