Author Topic: Helping good friends!  (Read 302 times)

Offline dakazman

Helping good friends!
« on: Wednesday,September 07, 2022, 06:10:40 PM »
  Took on a friend’s Nissan Altima SER 3.5v6 that has been in and out of several shops and all have fixed nothing. Going with a computer code lead me to find a bad connection on one cam sensor , wow it couldn’t have been that easy . Codes gone. After a test ride and with the engine starting much easier I continued with a list of other problems  and finished most of the list and fixing a few others I went for a test ride . Idle slightly low but smooth. I let the owner drive it and afterwards I could see his tears of joy.
   A few days later he ran it on the highway  70-80 mph when suddenly he developed some lack of power and came back to me.  Different code this time , one dreaded by owners according to YouTube university. Check engine flashing and running rough I asked when and what was replaced , I decided to pull the plugs and found the 147k plugs compromised a bit and 1 coil pack broken. Plugs replaced 2 years ago so I suggested we change the plugs and coil packs . Not for the faint of heart 3 cylinders easy, the back 3 wow , tedious work. In I went a few days later (today) after getting all the parts I dove in , front 3 cylinders 15 minutes. Started the car and code gone check engine off, idle still low and hunting, so I decided to go in and check the back cylinders , pulling the intake off , then the upper manifold and the back manifold the gasket was soaked in fuel, and the mating bolts loose. Pulled off the upper manifold and immediately found a crack into one cylinder,  continued with the replacement of the plugs and packs as planned. Found the back 3 plugs loose
  Tomorrow or shall I say 4 days later I’ll continue with the replacement of the manifold.
 By the way , all this for no charge.
Just being a good friend.
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

Re: Helping good friends!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 07, 2022, 06:34:01 PM »
It sounds like you are great friend to have!

The world could use many more people that are helpful !
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 07, 2022, 06:56:38 PM »
You’re a good man Charlie Brown!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,September 08, 2022, 04:12:08 AM »
Thanks guys, but I’m sure you all would have stepped in also . I really hate when mechanics go in and break things on you and don’t tell you. I have been where he and his family are now and didn’t have the time and went to so call professionals , only to end up doing the job again.
  I just hope I caught all the problems this time and glad I try to do my due diligence.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,September 21, 2022, 05:36:01 AM »
  Just an update, it had a good ending 😁

I replaced the rear plugs and coil packs and was waiting for the upper plenum to come in.
Finally it arrived a few days late. I swapped out some fitting and throttle body . Well after that the next four hours went by fighting almost every bolt , turning some bolts 1/8 turn at a time
Well you’all get it , it probably wold have been easier pulling the engine out .
   Finished the job and road tested , no more codes, a smooth correct idle and a stiffer brake pedal now that the air leak is gone.
  The best part is receiving messages like this. It makes my efforts have some meaning, and I’m sure that’s why we all help others

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,September 21, 2022, 08:22:19 AM »
Gold star for you, D'man!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 22, 2022, 03:39:19 PM »
 Thanks BDA,
  My forearm's look like someone beat me to a pulp. :FUNNY:
  It may be the rat poison they use to thin your blood but man I bruise easily.
Dakazman