Author Topic: TCS Battery Size  (Read 466 times)

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
TCS Battery Size
« on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 01:41:30 PM »
Want to move the battery from its position (in photo below) back to where it belongs.  Found that the long bolts were still in the location where they needed to be...and want to get rid of the weight behind the wheels...not that I'll be doing any slaloms or autocrossing, mind you, but...and move it back to where it belongs.

Of the top of the head, anyone recall what the proper size is that will fit in the location it was designed for or should I just take measurements and dig through what's at the local parts emporium?  Figured I'd ask first...(and have to make the hold-down channel...I have angle aluminum channel, so, that won't be a big issue to cut and drill for the hold-down....).

FWIW, pulled the heat shield out, degunked it, polished it up...ok, the rest of the fiberglass body in that location is very greasy from all the oil leaks, but, if you clean as you go...it starts to look better (that's what I tell myself as I'm digging grease and ick out from under my fingernails....)
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

Re: TCS Battery Size
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 02:42:26 PM »
The workshop says the battery is Exide 6 VTA 29L. That is an obsolete specification and when I was getting a battery, a guy who apparently knew about that converted it to the more modern 51R specification which equates to 9" long x 5" wide x 7.5" tall (or that's the approx. dimensions of my battery). Several people here use Odyssey P680 batteries which are even smaller. I think that practically, you are probably looking for a Miata battery which is probably about the smallest car battery you can get.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 03:11:23 PM »
A Miata Battery is a good option. They are spec'd as AGM. I run a Deka (ETX20L) that is a little smaller and I have no problem cranking a larger motor.

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »
That’s a motorcycle battery, isn’t it? From a brief look on eBay, they seem to come in different CCA options. Which one do you have or recommend?

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,May 03, 2022, 06:39:19 PM »
The workshop says the battery is Exide 6 VTA 29L. That is an obsolete specification and when I was getting a battery, a guy who apparently knew about that converted it to the more modern 51R specification which equates to 9" long x 5" wide x 7.5" tall (or that's the approx. dimensions of my battery). Several people here use Odyssey P680 batteries which are even smaller. I think that practically, you are probably looking for a Miata battery which is probably about the smallest car battery you can get.

Sounds like a good choice. 

Did I mention that I really don't enjoy unwinding modifications that were previously made without understanding the follow-on implications of same?  But...this should be a relatively easy change (and get rid of that tray, mount, and 4 extra feet of positive lead battery cable) to get accomplished.

He said, smiling wanly...
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,May 04, 2022, 04:32:55 AM »
That’s a motorcycle battery, isn’t it? From a brief look on eBay, they seem to come in different CCA options. Which one do you have or recommend?

I run the ETX20. If I already had car battery terminals and wasn't obsessed with cutting the weight from what I added, I would run the Miata one. The cca's are almost the same.

https://www.techbatterysolutions.com/deka-mazda-miata-battery-1999-2005-sealed-agm/

http://etx20l.com/index.html