Author Topic: Thoughts on TCS Brakes  (Read 897 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Thoughts on TCS Brakes
« Reply #15 on: Thursday,March 10, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »
Here's my $.02 worth. I bought my TCS with boosters removed and no changes to the MC. My first drive was scary as hell, I thought I had no brakes! I had all sorts of plans to re-sleeve the MC to a smaller bore, or swap a different MC, but after driving the car for a few months, I got used to stabbing the pedal with authority and the brake upgrade gradually slipped down the priority list.

Another approach you may want to consider if simply drilling a new hole for the brake clevis 3/8 inch closer to the fulcrum. I can't find my original notes, but I think that works out to something like a 35% force increase. You would also want to raise the pedal assembly by 3/8 inch also to keep the line-of-action in line with the MC centerline to prevent off-center forces from scoring the MC wall, but that is an easy do also.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #16 on: Friday,March 11, 2022, 06:11:32 AM »
JeffBatt, on my TCS without boosters (thanks, PO) I replaced the master with a 0.7" dual circuit master. It works great, and I haven't tried newer, better pads yet. Just saying your 0.075 might be too large.

which cylinder did you go with?  Still sussing this out while rebuilding my strombergs (and finding head scratching 'why did the PPO think this was a good thing to do?')
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline 69merc

« Reply #17 on: Thursday,March 17, 2022, 06:52:16 AM »
I’m going to go the route of surfguitar58 with my TCS.  Trying to keep it simple.  I made 2 small brake line jumpers fitted at the ends of the original lines that enter the engine bay.  Brake pad material makes a big difference on brake feel (I’ve tried many on my track day car).  Since I’ve never driven this car, I’ll see how the brakes feel and go from there (it might be just right :confused:).