Author Topic: Another early S1 Chassis 460106  (Read 964 times)

Offline lotusfanatic

Another early S1 Chassis 460106
« on: Wednesday,March 17, 2021, 08:44:25 AM »
Hello all,

an S1 advertised for sale in Canada has recently sold and is believed to be on its way to Europe.

I found more details of the car from a Canadian car website.

The chassis is 460161 but it has S1B features (wooden instrument panels and the later large rear light units)
I'm not sure how that happened, possibly an accident and a subsequent rebuild early in its life?

The car isn't listed on the Register,

Has anyone on here bought it?
Mark
« Last Edit: Wednesday,March 17, 2021, 08:46:57 AM by lotusfanatic »

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
Re: Another early S1 Chassis 460106
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 17, 2021, 09:33:12 AM »
The car was bought by a mechanic in Ottawa who was over his head and realized that some parts were impossible to source so he put it up for sale and someone in Germany bought it for $9500 Canuck dollars. I was going to buy it before him but the prior owner was a nut case and I had to walk away

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Monday,November 29, 2021, 06:54:44 AM »
I recently purchased an S1B that had a similar fate. I was in talks with the PO who advertised it as 460393, which happens to be the sister car to my S1A 0392... You can understand why I was desperate to have it. He sent me pics of the car, but managed to miss the rear light cluster shots. When I got there I was surprised to find that it was indeed a B with body number 0643 which would surely make it one of the last S1 ever made. I need to search the frame for its vin number as the body has no chassis plate that I have found yet. It may be buried in the boxes of parts I received with the car.

Did you ever figure out what happened to 460106 in terms of the vin history?
« Last Edit: Monday,November 29, 2021, 06:56:15 AM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,December 01, 2021, 08:37:30 AM »
The car was originally owned by a gentleman in Quebec who ultimately sold it to someone else who again sold it etc till it ended up with a gentleman in Ottawa who restored it along with his son but the registration was never transferred from the original owner. I was going to buy the car till I ran into all of these issues and decided to walk away . The gentleman's daughter was trying to sell the car and she had very little knowledge of it and was a real pain to deal with. She eventually has the car registered as a '69 and sold it to a mechanic for $10,000. He got the car running in a few days and then realized that parts were hard to come by so he posted in on Kijiji and someone from germany bought it for less than he paid for it. There was a lot of work put into this car and if it had been represented properly at the start I would have bought it. But , as in most cases, there were too many hidden facts that didn't add up.
I am sure that it will do well in Germany