Author Topic: New Tool  (Read 1992 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
New Tool
« on: Sunday,November 18, 2018, 09:57:54 PM »
Whenever I’m in a tight space and need a tool, I have to move my arms and twist my body to get the tool and then reverse the moves to get back into position.   Having the tools in a pocket, on a belt, or the floor around me doesn’t make any difference.   I still end up struggling to get back to where I was. The best place for tools is at the ends of my arms near my hands.

Enter Letherman’s TREAD bracelet.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have one.  Trouble is, I’d have to remember to wear it.   
However, I always remember to wear a watch and when I’m working use a “beater” watch that doesn’t have to stay pretty.   And the only difference between a watchband and a bracelet is the band’s ability to hold a watch. 

A couple hours fiddling and I have a Watch with a bunch of tools around it.  All on my wrist.

Tomorrow I’ll give it a shake down with jobs on the car.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Online BDA

Re: New Tool
« Reply #1 on: Monday,November 19, 2018, 06:32:37 AM »
That's interesting! Let us know how it works out for you.

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,November 22, 2018, 01:08:29 AM »
:welder:
Well I tried the bracelet on a small job with interesting results.   I needed to add a hose fitting so I snapped a 1/4” socket onto the bracelet to do it.  It isn’t as efficient as a ratcheting socket wrench, but the floppiness of the bracelet made it nearly as efficient.  The links don’t bend at all in the flat plain so torque can be added to forcefully tighten the job. 

After I had finished, I put the socket into my pocket and returned the watch to my wrist.  I went back to the hose and realized I had blocked access behind it with the clamp’s bolt.  It needed to be rotated   180° To the zither side of the hose.   Rather than dig around in my pocket for the socket, I nearly removed the watch and used the philips driver to loosen and reset the clamp. 

I don’t know about jobs that will require real tools, but there was virtually zero stress or frustration with this task. 

My beater watch is always on my wrist anyway and with the bracelet, I know it can handle limited tasks efficiently.   It offers few choices of box wrench sizes, due mainly to my small wrist size (6.5”) and the fact the only watch uses 2 links worth of tool space.   For versatility I’ve committed the Allen wrench sizes to metric and the box wrench sizes to English.  I can always swap out links and don’t yet know how useful it’ll be after the newness wears off, but I think this’ll be the watch I’ll be wearing when I’m working on the car this winter.
« Last Edit: Thursday,November 22, 2018, 01:23:03 AM by LeftAngle »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Monday,November 26, 2018, 03:48:19 AM »
 Here is an interesting product I ran across, it holds 50 lbs .
I do not own it or have it. Anyone have it?
Dakazman

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #4 on: Monday,November 26, 2018, 06:52:32 AM »
Here is an interesting product I ran across, it holds 50 lbs .
I do not own it or have it. Anyone have it?
Dakazman

I want my money back, D-man, it doesn't stick to the Europa!  :FUNNY:
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 26, 2018, 04:36:34 PM »
Surf,
If it holds all my sockets in one place while under car even if it’s not attached to the car that’s a clear advantage. My strongest magnets are from old hard drives and they come in handy . It is very difficult to remove anything they grap. My neighbor threw his keys on the dash and they went right down the vents. I attached some fishing line, dropped one of those down and bam . Out they came.
Dakazman

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #6 on: Monday,November 26, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
Oh, okay D-man. It's just 2 of the 3 photos show the mat sticking to the car fender. Thought you might have forgotten our cars are fiberglass.  ;D
Cheers,
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Online 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #7 on: Monday,November 26, 2018, 08:58:13 PM »
My strongest magnets are from old hard drives and they come in handy . It is very difficult to remove anything they grap.

Give us a clue. Where are these, and on what hard drives?

They sound ideal on a bendy stick for getting lost bits back.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,November 27, 2018, 05:38:13 AM »
 Surf , sorry, I did post the wrong pictures, but the website that is on the pictures has other ideas for its use.

See you tube https://youtu.be/YKzPt18aE_0
With many computer hard drives over years of fixing them for people I collected the disc , rings and the magnets. I also found the magnets on eBay fairly cheap.
See pic.
Dakazman

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,December 06, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
This topic has become interesting. I intended to post an update  about my bracelet and noticed it has evolved into magnets.   As the mysteries of chance and life dictate, it so happens my wife has just ordered a magnetic cuff for me to wear on my other arm. Other than looking like Carmen Miranda under my dashboard, This device may come in handy holding various sockets.   And like my watch bracelet, should always be within arms reach (pun).

I purchase my  rare earth magnets online.  These buttons are so powerful they have to be slid off the substrate they’re attached to. They’re delivered stuck to each other in a column and it takes some effort to get them to separate.   They come in handy for many tasks around the shop including holding posters on  steel walls.  Attached to a screwdriver blade, they keep a screw attached to the tip while aiming the driver somewhere only it can fit.  Similarly, when glued to the end of a popsicle stick, will hold nuts in place all day when threading bolts into inaccessible spaces.   If more power is needed, they stack up neatly... but can be a task to unstack again of course.
Bruce

Offline LeftAngle

• 0659R Photos
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,January 01, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »
Happy New Year all!  This is an update to my Leatherman Tread post.  I thought an Apple Watch would provide more utilitarian features, which it did until New Year’s Eve.   Evidently, Apple watches aren’t up to the task of big boy requirements.  Come to find out. The entire face is held on with double sided tape.  I looked at my wrist and the face was hanging off to the side. The Apple Watch lasted less than two months.  I’m back to the original beater.  The bracelet gets use often as does the magnetic cuff.  Other than the watch incident, these bits of “jewelry” have proved their worth to me.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,January 01, 2019, 05:56:18 PM »
Bummer. I wear a $30 plastic Timex when working on my cars. I know a good watch won’t survive.