Author Topic: Lotus Europa Wilwood Rear Disc Brake Upgrade Kit  (Read 14500 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Lotus Europa Wilwood Rear Disc Brake Upgrade Kit
« Reply #45 on: Monday,January 29, 2018, 05:03:21 PM »
MICHAEL, greatly appreciate the detailed update and yes continued high level of interest for a well engineered system. I’m no brake expert but Have you looked at the AP Racing caliper CP3696-6E0 ?

Personally, I don’t care if there is no ebrake. But I do want the disc brake system to fit inside the OEM 13” aluminum wheel.
« Last Edit: Monday,January 29, 2018, 08:43:58 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline mio

« Reply #46 on: Friday,February 16, 2018, 08:59:43 AM »
The  AP Racing caliper CP3696-6E0 doesn't include the handbrake option.
The Ebrake option is not being considered because I don't think it would be approved by inspection "TUV"
Working at a custom caliper design to deal with the limited space inside the 13" wheel.
Michael

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #47 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
I applaud you Michael for endeavoring to find a rear disc brake solution that includes the handbrake.  But I have to ask, I wonder how many of us don’t really care if we have a hand brake as the cars are old enough that there is no inspection (at least in the US).

I for one don’t “need” a handbrake. How many of us are there?

Offline BDA

« Reply #48 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »
There are very rare occasions when I wish I had a hand brake and I think they only occur when I want to leave the car running on the slope of my driveway to get the mail. I just pull up to the top of the driveway and get out and walk. In other words, it's not a real issue for me.

Now, if I lived in San Francisco, that would be different, but then I don't want to live in San Francisco anyway.

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #49 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
We don’t need a hand brake??  Didn’t realize that. New York State with historical plate.   I was going to spend a ton on an electric set up but if I don’t need it - great. 68 non federal S2

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #50 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
I haven't been in many vehicles that have experienced complete hydraulic brake failure but I have been in a few.  Two of which had dual circuit master cylinders.  Let me tell you, there is nothing like having the brake pedal hit the floor with no warning to provide focus and clarity in one's life.   Some sort of emergency brake is a must.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #51 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »
We don’t need a hand brake??  Didn’t realize that. New York State with historical plate.   I was going to spend a ton on an electric set up but if I don’t need it - great. 68 non federal S2

In NJ with historic plates there is no inspection. Only photo submission to get the historic plates.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #52 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »
I haven't been in many vehicles that have experienced complete hydraulic brake failure but I have been in a few.  Two of which had dual circuit master cylinders.  Let me tell you, there is nothing like having the brake pedal hit the floor with no warning to provide focus and clarity in one's life.   Some sort of emergency brake is a must.

I’ve only lost my brakes once on a public road (Datsun 2000) from my perspective downshifting and steering out of danger was a far better choice than trying to engage the handbrake that was iffy at best. My S1 Elan handbrake is a joke, I would never consider that an emergency brake. It might slow me down a bit but it won’t stop the car.

Never the less, I understand your point JB. My question is how many people have a handbrake in an old sports car that would stop the car?

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #53 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 08:08:52 PM »

In NJ with historic plates there is no inspection. Only photo submission to get the historic plates.

Actually Glen, although you are not required to report for annual NJ state inspections with your historic registration, you are still left to self inspection AND you are required to maintain your car and its safety features.   If you were stopped by police and/or investigation after an accident, and it was found your car was NOT so properly equipped with required safety features (E-brake being one of them), then you are subject to summons and fines.     This coming from me, a retired LEO. 
Additionally, I would think your insurance company might have grounds to contest payout or settlement based upon those "alterations" and "modifications" in case of a claim.     
As for me, I might not use the hand brake often, but i'm sure I would not give it up, remove or disconnect it.  Resale becomes another issue where disclosure would be necessary and may impact or negate a sale.
FYI only.   proceed at your own risk!
« Last Edit: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 08:14:46 PM by tedtaylor »
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #54 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
First time I lost brakes was ~1978 in a 1970 BMW 2002. Totally my fault from amateur brake repair. Glad I had the e-brake and limped home with it. Second time was ~2006 in a 1998 Audi A6, totally Audi's fault that time. Happened to be in a New England blizzard and was very happy to have me e-brake working to limp home. Hate the Nanny State, and I'm no Safety Sam, but I'm going to keep my emergency brake operational.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #55 on: Saturday,February 17, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
Never the less, I understand your point JB. My question is how many people have a handbrake in an old sports car that would stop the car?

In the UK our annual test includes the handbrake. On a single circuit system the pass mark is 25% for the handbrake, slightly lower on dual circuit at either 18% or 15%, I can't remember for sure.  A pass for the footbrake used to be twice as good at 50% so you can expect the handbrake to stop the car, just not very quickly. The footbrake system is so efficient these days that the comparison does leave you thinking "is this handbrake working ?"

Our legislation changes this year and an Historic vehicle won't need the annual test. But even without the test your car has to be legally roadworthy and so in the UK at least, driving without an independent secondary brake system is going to get you in trouble.

I'd guess the situation is the same on mainland Europe and if you're marketing a disc brake conversion for road use to get the best market you'd want to include the facility even if it ends up not being used/purchased.  So you can understand why Michael is spending the time on that aspect.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #56 on: Sunday,February 18, 2018, 04:05:04 AM »
All good points guys. I’m scratching my head at all the rear disc conversions I’ve read about that don’t have the handbrake. What to those people think?

Clearly Michael is building the right disc conversion. Hopefully he will have it ready for sale before summer.......

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #57 on: Sunday,February 18, 2018, 04:54:17 AM »
I have the banks rear disc set up. Still think the “hot rod” set up with electric motor will be easier but more expensive

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #58 on: Sunday,February 18, 2018, 05:12:23 AM »
I've made my decision, I'm keeping the stock drum rears.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #59 on: Sunday,February 18, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »
Just to elaborate, I am trying to keep the car mostly stock, with only reversible safety and performance enhancing mods. I drool over the sexy high performance conversions some of you guys are doing, but have to remind myself what my goals are. (Someday I’m gonna build a killer resto-mod, but not today.) I will consider the rear disk option when I am convinced there is a well thought out, integrated front & rear disk package is designed to fit the 13inch stock wheel, that doesn’t look home made, that doesn’t mix and match calipers from different manufacturers, is a bolt-on conversion (reversible to stock) and still has a functional e-brake.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery