Author Topic: WTB 72-74 Twin Cam  (Read 1619 times)

Offline MAK

WTB 72-74 Twin Cam
« on: Thursday,January 12, 2023, 07:04:14 PM »
Hi
First time on the forum,
I am on the hunt for 72 to 74 Twin Cam special, budget about $20.0 to $25.0 depending on condition.
Not looking for perfect, but chassis, engine, cooling system must be in 100% in working order, at least when I purchase it.  Paint and Interior can be fair but totaled.
Will pay (within Continental US) to ship back to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
No interest in S1 or S2 cars.
Have wanted a Europa ever since I was 16 when first saw one at the Hackett Imports in Westport CT.  but like most of us jobs, kids and life changes what's possible, now totally retired and recently sold my 1985 Colony Park wagon - had 61,000 miles on it, and it looked like a new car.

Once I get 1 and I will get 1 - I will be looking for a ton of advice, I know these cars were/are not for the faint of heart, but can they really be worse than a 73 Alfa Spyder?

thanks everyone

I generally use Hagerty's rating scale:
NO. 1: EXCELLENT
Restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area or perfect original with components operating or appearing as new; a 95-plus point show car that isn’t driven.
NO. 2: FINE
Well-restored or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original; also, an extremely well-maintained original showing very minimal wear.
NO. 3: VERY GOOD
Completely operable original or “older restoration” showing wear; also, a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and out. Plus combinations of well-done restoration and good operable components or a partially restored car with all parts necessary to complete and/or valuable NOS parts.
NO. 4: GOOD
A drivable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional; also, a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. All components may need restoration to be “excellent,” but the car is mostly useable “as is.”
"The best to you each morning"

Offline BDA

Re: WTB 72-74 Twin Cam
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,January 12, 2023, 07:51:14 PM »
I have not had to try searching like you are so this might not be helpful but have you tried doing a duck duck go (or Google - yetch!) search for Lotus Europa Twin Cam for sale?

I have no idea if any of the cars listed here (https://buysellsearch.com/vehicles/cars/mk-lotus/ml-europa/gs-twin-cam and http://davidsclassiccars.com/lotus/356215-1974-lotus-europa-twin-cam-special-big-valve.html in similar lists) are still real but it might be a start.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,January 12, 2023, 07:58:46 PM »
« Last Edit: Thursday,January 12, 2023, 08:11:47 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline MAK

« Reply #3 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 06:55:40 AM »
Thanks for the tips, 
These sites were some of the 1's I used.  Out of the 6 I inquired about only 1 was real - and that's the 1 from South Carolina that the owner wants $25 for at best $18 car.
Unfortunately, scammers are huge on the "off" web sites.
Example: here a quick rundown for Trivot

1973 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special, 78,000 miles $21,000 Posted 13 days ago. This car was on BAT Oct. 10/2021 and failed to reach reserve at $23,991 - great videos of the car!!!
        I sent listing seller an email – never got a response.

1973 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special 1923 miles $15,900 Posted 12/27/22 – Sold on BAT 9/14/17 for $35,973 great video’s!                       
Sellers ad on Trivot is exactly like ad on BAT –
       Emailed seller from Trivot – never answered my question on why the car is 20grand less than it sold for in 2017 –
       wants me to wire $ to transport company’s escrow – provided me the link – that company’s Internet Domaine was
       created on 11/22. Shipping Co. – Extra Ships
No this doesn't sound fishy? does it?

1974 Lotus Europa Special Ford Twin Cam for sale$7,950 Posted 4/22 Sold 3 years ago out of Costa Mesa CA not running project car, resurfaced a year later on eBay 11/20 bid to $7700 Buy Now $14950 ad on Trivot exact copy of part of eBay listing.
       Emailed Trivot seller – same deal as above – money to shipper – again shippers Domaine was created on 11/22
       Shipper: Western Bridge Shipping

Both Western Bridge & Extra Ships Domaine’s were created same day same location:
Redacted for Privacy
Privacy service provided by Withheld for Privacy
Kalkofnsvegur 2,
Reykjavik, Capital Region, 101, is

A little discouraging start to the quest, but now I know - 
But I have no fear - there is a car out there somewhere.  It's just that patience is not my best virtue.
« Last Edit: Friday,January 13, 2023, 06:57:12 AM by MAK »
"The best to you each morning"

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #4 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 08:32:05 AM »
Good morning....I can sympathize with  your issue since I wanted one too for almost 50 years. I finally found one on this website about two years ago and have been working on it to bring it back to life after having been stored above a workshop in a barn in northern NY state for 44 years. It was all original but had a seized engine that is currently being rebuilt.
My suggestion is to keep a very close eye on the forum and see what comes up thru other people who have the same interest. This forum is pretty good and I haven't seen anyone misuse it. Ads are always a scam

As for a TC Special with a twin cam, there aren't many so BE PATIENT and your dream will come true. Good luck and let us know when you find your dream

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 12:12:30 PM »
"... but can they really be worse than a 73 Alfa Spyder?"

The short answer is "Yes, they can."  Like the 73 Alfa, and many other European cars from that era, Europas require a good deal of servicing and fettling.  I've done quite a few long trips 1K to 5K and something always comes up.  Nothing major because I keep on top of servicing and maintenance -- how does three sets of rear axle bearings in under 30K sound (there's a story, there's always a story) -- but maybe a rearview mirror falls off, or 3 days of heavy rain lead to damp bottoms (S1), or the reverse light fuse blows, or etc.  Niggling is in their nature.  Added against the Europa is a marginal rear suspension set up, Rube Goldberg worthy shift linkage and a barely adequate cooling system.  Keep on top of things, be prepared for minor issues, and they work just fine.  I love mine and just bought a Lotus Seven, which makes the Europa seem like a Rolls, and I plan to drive the Seven across Canada, so I'm certifiable.

If all this sounds familiar and, frankly, kind of fun, you've chosen the right car and come to the right place.  The handling is whatever comes after telepathic.  It's not "like" driving a '60s sports racer on the road, it is driving a '60s sports racer on the road.  It is also, unexpectedly, divinely comfortable, albeit noisy, on long trips.

If not, please buy a Miata or Toyota MR2.  No word of a lie, they are great cars, give very little trouble, and no constant nagging dread of impending doom as you pass the no services for xxx miles signs.

Offline Daveilt

« Reply #6 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 12:54:28 PM »
I have a 73 TCS 5spd that I was going to sell in the spring,
9,000 miles, off the road since 77(last license plate) till I got the car back on the road this year.
Rebuilt engine, new tires,brakes, clutch, radiator etc. I was thinking 28K
You can contact me about it if you like, Black with Black interior,
Very original

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 01:37:57 PM »
My understanding is the rear wheel bearing problem you experience is a feature of S1s and that by the TC and especially the TCS, the problem was "solved" (let's say the change interval had been extended to a more manageable lifetime). I did a 10K mile trip in my TCS when it was "new" with no wheel bearing problems.

I've attached a column from a very early Lotus ReMarque (the North American Lotus club magazine) that illustrates the rear wheel bearing problem along with some of the stories the writer had (JB's stories may be different!). As a postscript to that column, I heard only a few years ago that the author still had his S1 and was still driving it.

As for Alfa Spyders, a good friend of mine had one while he was in college and as I remember, it was generally reliable. There were only two failures that I remember off hand. One was the ignition switch stopped working. Rather than pay the exorbitant price for a new switch, he kept a beer bottle cap in the ash tray. To start the car, he put the key in the ignition and put it in the "On" position, then retrieved the bottle cap and reached behind the ignition switch and shorted it out starting the car. He did that for several years before he sold it. When the potential buyer got in the driver's seat for a test drive, my buddy didn't have a chance to tell him about the bottle cap dance before the buyer put the key in the ignition, turned it and fired it up!

The second failure was the fuel injection pump. Those were expensive items for a college student too so he went to the parts store and bought the highest pressure pump he could find. If memory serves, and JB can probably correct me if it doesn't, the fuel pressure is supposed to be something like 120 psi. The Holley pump my buddy got produced only about 45 psi. The car worked without an issue anyway. The only thing is that I guess he didn't put any (or enough) isolation between the pump and the body and you could hear the pump over the engine till he got to about 3000 rpm!

I agree with JB on the experience. I doubt there is another car that is remotely as exhilarating to drive and there are few cars that get as much attention. Along with the exhilaration and attention are a lot of quirks - some minor and others, well, not so minor - but the car is about driving and that experience is well worth the quirks to me!
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 15, 2023, 01:58:24 PM by BDA »

Offline Daveilt

« Reply #8 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 01:53:21 PM »
Here are a few photos

Offline Daveilt

« Reply #9 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 01:54:17 PM »
73 TCS photos

Offline Daveilt

« Reply #10 on: Friday,January 13, 2023, 01:55:36 PM »