Author Topic: My Europa story and what I have done to the car:  (Read 4044 times)

Offline BDA

Re: My Europa story and what I have done to the car:
« Reply #15 on: Friday,September 12, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
You're welcome, Mark. I'm not sure what to think of your pump. From what you say, it seems fine now. I would start saving money and make plans for a new Bean water pump outfit.

Good luck!

Offline Jess Larsen

« Reply #16 on: Friday,September 12, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
Hi

Bainford and 3929R,  Thank you very much for your kind comments.

BDA, Nice to see those fotos of the door through the firewall, it gives inspiration to how it can be made.
I have reinforced the fiberboard with some layers of glassfibre on both sides, so I think it should be easy to make a clean cut for the door opening.

Regards
Jess

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Friday,September 12, 2014, 02:28:25 PM »
Yeah, Jess. It will be a piece of cake. The biggest issue is how to attach the door from just the inside. I think the threaded insert's original name was riv-nut, but different companies use different names. It turns out that Amazon has them under "threaded inserts" (oddly enough) here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=threaded%20inserts%20for%20metal&sprefix=threaded+insert%2Caps%2C263

I imagine you can buy them from Amazon in Denmark. Of course, you will have to buy the installation tool (think pop rivet type tool) and the adapter for the particular threads you're using. The other thing you have to consider is the grip length or grip range. That's how thick a panel the insert will grip.
« Last Edit: Friday,September 12, 2014, 03:18:34 PM by BDA »

Offline Jess Larsen

« Reply #18 on: Saturday,September 13, 2014, 12:56:11 PM »
Hi BDA

I have allredy a set of those rivet nuts. I have used them where the chassis plate is boltet to the underside of the front of the chassis. The nuts inside chassis was very rusty and broke loose, so instead of welding new nut inside the chassis I used these rivet nuts. I think they come in handy in a situation like that and also as you have used them for the access door.

I found this article on Europa Engineerings website, where there is a description with pictures how to make an access door, maybe you have seen this, but anyhow here it is.
http://www.banks-europa.co.uk/customers/James_Rice_02.htm

Regards
Jess

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Saturday,September 13, 2014, 01:05:11 PM »
I'm glad all my explanation and drivel was for naught and you knew what I was talking about! They are very handy indeed!  :)

I hadn't seen that but I'll read it now! It looks a bit like mine - only MUCH NICER of course! I came up with the idea because I didn't know how accessible my water pump would be and I since I had a belt driven motor, I needed access unless I wanted to take my motor out for changing either of those. I actually did have someone change the timing belt for me through the door so I know it works! (I didn't trust myself to get the belt tension right without a gauge)   :)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #20 on: Saturday,September 13, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
I'm wondering if quarter turn dzus fasteners might work as another method of attaching the access door to the rear bulkhead. They work well for car and motorcycle body work and the simplicity of removal is a plus.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,September 13, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »
Yes, I think this is a good place for Dzus fasteners. They require a bit more area than the 10-32 rivet-nuts I used so you'd have to plan for that.

I still use bolts on my rear trunk tray. I considered Dzus fasteners there too, but I chickened out because I wasn't sure I could get the grip length right. Every time I do those bolts, I wish I had done it, though!