Author Topic: The Zetec 'Ropacane  (Read 68543 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: The Zetec 'Ropacane
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 12:10:41 AM »
(In all honesty it quickly devolved to a scenario similar to a chimpanzee beating a hard fruit against a tree)

:FUNNY:   and something all recognise only too well. In fact I often think it's more like  :headbanger:

Brian

Edit to add; After stripping a thread in my carrier this year I decided to fit a helicoil insert rather than re-tap to the next size up. I've never used them before but came away very impressed with the job, so much so that the next time the carrier is on the bench I'm going to fit helicoils to all of the bolt holes.  It might be worth putting on your option list ?
« Last Edit: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 12:14:30 AM by EuropaTC »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday,November 13, 2013, 08:04:28 AM »
Definitely! I forgot about those little things. Those bolts were literally at 45 degree angles!

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #32 on: Friday,November 29, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
Well friends, everything on the frame is removed now. The body shell is also stripped of its rusty components. There were a few surprises, namely the drivers side door hinge. I am going to make some patterns this week and cut some new sheet metal for the frame...stay tuned.
« Last Edit: Friday,November 29, 2013, 09:18:40 PM by Chuck Nukem »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #33 on: Friday,November 29, 2013, 11:10:50 PM »
I reckon you're gonna need a new hinge pin mate....   now that's what I call corrosion ! 

Mine was rusted solid but nothing like that. If the top is the same condition it's going to be a long boring time with a hacksaw blade ahead. You might even need to renew the bush in the sill as well if it's been open/closed a lot with the pin seized up.  But what's going on in that center tunnel ? something making a nest ?

Brian

Offline cal44

« Reply #34 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 07:36:24 AM »
I bought RD's stainless pin set for the doors.  Ain't cheap but this way you only do it once.
Wait........I bought them last year and still haven't done them.

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #35 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 08:32:38 AM »
I bought RD's stainless pin set for the doors.  Ain't cheap but this way you only do it once.
Wait........I bought them last year and still haven't done them.

mike

If you are looking for another "ain't cheap" option, I bought Bank's brass hinge set.   This consists of independent upper and lower pivots that lock in place allowing the door to be removed without upsetting the alignment.  Handy if you were like me and removed and replaced the door a hundred time. Since there is no long pin, you can glass up the lower sill hole.   You can see a photo by scrolling down a bit in this page.

http://www.vintagemotoring.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1534&start=25

Dean (S2/Zetec)

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #36 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »
I reckon you're gonna need a new hinge pin mate....   now that's what I call corrosion ! 

Mine was rusted solid but nothing like that. If the top is the same condition it's going to be a long boring time with a hacksaw blade ahead. You might even need to renew the bush in the sill as well if it's been open/closed a lot with the pin seized up.  But what's going on in that center tunnel ? something making a nest ?

Brian

I hear the doors are the pinnacle of lotus restoration pleasure. I am looking forward to them...Right now the task at hand is to remove the gargantuan nut which holds the half shaft on the hub! wish me luck!!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #37 on: Saturday,November 30, 2013, 11:12:05 PM »
Right now the task at hand is to remove the gargantuan nut which holds the half shaft on the hub! wish me luck!!

Just in case it was before you signed up, this has been discussed before on the forum, this is one thread and no doubt there have been others;

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=249.0

After Mike's post showing a design for a restraining bar locking on the wheel nuts I made one myself for the next time I did the job. It worked a treat and is well worth a place in the toolbox. It's also well worth giving it some heat from a torch just in case someone has used Loctite in the past to stop it loosening.

Brian

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #38 on: Sunday,December 01, 2013, 08:12:32 AM »
Thanks for that Brian. One nut came off with relative ease. The other is exactly as is described by that thread...We had MAP gas and penetrating fluid on it and I still managed to shear a 1/2'' breaker bar! I had a 6' cheater pipe on hand and it was completely ineffective. Looks like I will be investing in a 3/4'' solution...

Offline 3929R

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday,December 03, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
I hear the doors are the pinnacle of lotus restoration pleasure. I am looking forward to them...
  Pinnacle implies that once you reach the door hinge summit it's all downhill.  I adjusted my doors such that they were well aligned and shut smoothly.  Anytime anyone got in or out of the car I instructed them to NOT LEAN ON THE DOOR but they are just too handy for hauling fat arses up out of the car  :headbanger:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday,December 03, 2013, 10:24:01 PM »
Pinnacle implies that once you reach the door hinge summit it's all downhill.  I adjusted my doors such that they were well aligned and shut smoothly.  Anytime anyone got in or out of the car I instructed them to NOT LEAN ON THE DOOR but they are just too handy for hauling fat arses up out of the car  :headbanger:

I will be adding the Lo-spike strip to the top edge of the door to discourage this behavior

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday,December 04, 2013, 05:58:53 AM »
I hear the doors are the pinnacle of lotus restoration pleasure. I am looking forward to them...
Yup, a constant problem. I instruct riders that they are not to touch the door at all when getting in or out.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline 3929R

« Reply #42 on: Friday,December 06, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »

I will be adding the Lo-spike strip to the top edge of the door to discourage this behavior

Very nice!
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #43 on: Friday,December 06, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
Guys...Been through the door pin removal mantra a few times. From the looks of things, go right for the throat. Break out grinder or sawzall and cut them off. I made a small shield{around the pin} of light aluminum as not to slip and damage the body. A palm grinder or dremel works best. I have used the pins from R&D and would suggest the fibre washers supplied are not that good. They seem to slip and the adhesive backing is weak. Go get some heavy grit sand paper and cut your own...
Good luck.ld     

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #44 on: Monday,December 09, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »
If you are squeamish turn away now...these pictures are not for the faint of heart.

Those are the gory details that I am going to be sorting out eventually. On a side note, how much does lotus dust sell for by the gram? I am thinking about parting out the frame :FUNNY: In spite of all this, there is some good news!