Author Topic: 1969 S2 Europa Hill climb car - 700whp Turbo Honda K24 swap  (Read 4895 times)

Offline Taimoshan

Re: 1969 S2 Europa Hill climb car - 700whp Turbo Honda K24 swap
« Reply #30 on: Thursday,March 30, 2023, 02:21:26 AM »
Hi All,

Twin Cam ali fuel tanks arrived with the custom mods of fuel sender in each tank (one for pump gas and one for E85) and -AN return lines for the high pressure fuel pump return lines.

Will need to make some mods to the fibreglass to get them to fit, but they are nice looking tanks

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #31 on: Thursday,March 30, 2023, 02:29:40 AM »
Also forgot to add, the new fibreglass vented bonnet and curved arches also arrived in the delivery from Lotus Supplies.

There is going to be a lot of fibreglass work to be done on the body.

1) Fit new bonnet
2) fit front and rear round arches + widen the rear arches but an addition 100mm and the fronts by 50mm as the front and rear track width has been increased to fit the wide wheels
3) the rerouting of the rad airflow inside the spare tyre well
4) Modifying both foot wells to fit the new suspension arrangements and the pedal box
5) cut and reshape the floor in the driver and passenger to assist airflow into the rear defuser and aero mods
6) cut and replace the firewall
7) reshape the engine bay panels and rear inner arches
8) remove the front indicator lights and relocate
9) fit some brake duct and NACA ducts for cooling
10) general repairs the the brittle or previously repaired sections

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #32 on: Thursday,March 30, 2023, 04:43:44 AM »
Will be looking forward to updates on this!!

Any pics of rear arches?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Clifton

« Reply #33 on: Thursday,March 30, 2023, 10:10:16 AM »

I love the Barra, I am an Aussie  :beerchug: Actually the solution to WG problem is an Aussie one, a number of the Barra boys are welding the WG tube into the scroll of the hot side, this is a good option as it provides a better flow path into the WG pipe, only problem is finding a turbo blanket to fit around the WG pipe. I am probably going to run the turbosmart straight through electronic wastegate for ultimate control.

Yes the car will be road "legal"ish as I have the UK reg papers for the car and should be able to get it registered under the classic reg that does not require and MOT now in the UK. If I get that before taking to Jersey should be ok.

EFI is the Megasquirt Pro unit, I used these units on many applications over the last 15 years, so its what I know well and they are damn capable and super cheap v their functionality

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-ultimate-standalone-engine-management-system/

My rear hubs and CV are Audi to match the 01E transaxle and have a trigger wheel on the them so if I fit a hall effect sensor I could run TC, but probably not going to. The solution (and I might be dreaming) is lots of rubber and light vehicle weight and the trick wavetrack LSD.

Wheels are 12 x 15" rear and 10 x 15" fronts which will let me run some series rubber. Front Avons are 255 and rear 325 tread width.   https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/p917-alloy-wheel/. These are the biggest I could fit while maintaining space between the frame and wheel for the underbody aero.

(Thought I would add some example pics of hot side housings with external WG ports , so show what I plan to do )

Makes me feel old but Grand National guys would weld WG flanges to them. I think Turbonetics even cast a GN housing with a two bolt flange.

10's and 12's, that is some width. Looking forward to seeing more. Avons aren't too common in the US, most here run Hoosiers if rules and pocket book allow.

FWIW, I have less power and tire but very soft 245mm RT660 tires + LSD and still added traction control. Short wheelbase+ mid engine+ LSD and a lot of power made it not as fun/catch-able as a front engine rwd car. When it steps out in a turn under power, it happens fast. I used the Wilwood rotor bolt heads for the trigger.

Cool you are keeping it streetable.

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #34 on: Friday,March 31, 2023, 12:19:32 AM »

I love the Barra, I am an Aussie  :beerchug: Actually the solution to WG problem is an Aussie one, a number of the Barra boys are welding the WG tube into the scroll of the hot side, this is a good option as it provides a better flow path into the WG pipe, only problem is finding a turbo blanket to fit around the WG pipe. I am probably going to run the turbosmart straight through electronic wastegate for ultimate control.

Yes the car will be road "legal"ish as I have the UK reg papers for the car and should be able to get it registered under the classic reg that does not require and MOT now in the UK. If I get that before taking to Jersey should be ok.

EFI is the Megasquirt Pro unit, I used these units on many applications over the last 15 years, so its what I know well and they are damn capable and super cheap v their functionality

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-ultimate-standalone-engine-management-system/

My rear hubs and CV are Audi to match the 01E transaxle and have a trigger wheel on the them so if I fit a hall effect sensor I could run TC, but probably not going to. The solution (and I might be dreaming) is lots of rubber and light vehicle weight and the trick wavetrack LSD.

Wheels are 12 x 15" rear and 10 x 15" fronts which will let me run some series rubber. Front Avons are 255 and rear 325 tread width.   https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/p917-alloy-wheel/. These are the biggest I could fit while maintaining space between the frame and wheel for the underbody aero.

(Thought I would add some example pics of hot side housings with external WG ports , so show what I plan to do )

Makes me feel old but Grand National guys would weld WG flanges to them. I think Turbonetics even cast a GN housing with a two bolt flange.

10's and 12's, that is some width. Looking forward to seeing more. Avons aren't too common in the US, most here run Hoosiers if rules and pocket book allow.

FWIW, I have less power and tire but very soft 245mm RT660 tires + LSD and still added traction control. Short wheelbase+ mid engine+ LSD and a lot of power made it not as fun/catch-able as a front engine rwd car. When it steps out in a turn under power, it happens fast. I used the Wilwood rotor bolt heads for the trigger.

Cool you are keeping it streetable.

Yes, probably not a surprise that its been done before.  I mean the internal WG setup from factory OEM turbo set ups are basically the same thing.  There is not much new in motor racing, even the rocket unit that Subaru used in world rally champ a few years was patented back in 1900 or 1910. :-)

Actually you make a good point re the Traction Control, I had not considered the rotor bolts as the trigger for the front wheel speed sensor, that's easier that trying to fit another trigger wheel.  Thx

The car will be road registered. The Honda K series with the right cams is very tractable, as the small cam lobe set is std road spec, with only the VVT big cam lobes provide the high RPM and power, VVT comes in at around 4500rpm, so if you turn the boost down on the electronic waste gate to a minimal 2-3 lbs then you are running a 300ish whp engine with regular road manner, if you want more a push of the button gives more boost and more power.

The short wheel base will be interesting, and suspect very sensitive to throttle / brake balance , similar to the 1969 S3 Lotus 7 i owned a few years ago, you needed to be really smooth in the corners or ended up pointing the wrong way. 

Offline Clifton

« Reply #35 on: Friday,March 31, 2023, 08:06:37 AM »
The short wheel base will be interesting, and suspect very sensitive to throttle / brake balance , similar to the 1969 S3 Lotus 7 i owned a few years ago, you needed to be really smooth in the corners or ended up pointing the wrong way.

:I-agree: so true.

If you haven't checked these Youtube channels. Garage 4age just did a dyno on a K24, tunning Vtec angles. He has one of the best informative tuning with dyno channels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX6rAjI-VW0

Richard  Holdener does a lot of turbo comparisons too with dyno, mostly LS but a bit of K24 too.
https://www.youtube.com/@richardholdener1727/search?query=k24

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #36 on: Friday,March 31, 2023, 09:33:22 AM »

:I-agree: so true.

If you haven't checked these Youtube channels. Garage 4age just did a dyno on a K24, tunning Vtec angles. He has one of the best informative tuning with dyno channels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX6rAjI-VW0

Richard  Holdener does a lot of turbo comparisons too with dyno, mostly LS but a bit of K24 too.
https://www.youtube.com/@richardholdener1727/search?query=k24

I don't know Garage 4age, but i have been following Richard Holdner and also Tuning by Nick on the the K Series Vtec tuning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx-n-Jnl0_8.

What's interesting in the above video is that you pick up power by tapering the VTEC off as you ramp rpm.  For me the interesting thing is that you also need to taper ignition timing on 2-strokes to maximise power, suspect that tapering of ignition and tapering of valve timing are as a result of the same inlet/exhaust port scavenging & resonance effect. Its a fascinating subject.

My other favourite is good old David Vizard , by far the most scientific insight into making power..  https://www.youtube.com/@DavidVizard/videos

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 03:02:20 AM »
Hi All,

I am back working on the Europa, finally got the wheels and tyres back from the wheel builder, long delay in production.
Any way here are some pics of the wheel and the round arch kit (not fitted yet).

For those interested I maxed out the offset of the rims on the both front and rear wheels to get the scrub radius on the front down to 50mm and the rear to give clearance for the suspension arms.  This caused part of the production delays.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 03:09:04 AM by Taimoshan »

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 03:06:50 AM »
Ok time for tyres..... 

Fronts are 290x15
Rears are 345x15

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 03:14:55 AM »
Thought I also better show some pics of the wheels and tyres on the cars and the start of building the arches.

Hope there is enough rubber to deliver the power?

« Last Edit: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 10:50:27 AM by Taimoshan »

Offline BDA

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 07:21:07 AM »
She’s going to be a monster, Taimoshan!

Offline Cor van Nistelrooij

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 08:28:13 AM »
really breathtaking Taimoshan, keep them pics coming!!

What chargecooler is seen at the pictures??

Thanks Cor

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 11:32:48 AM »
Hi,

The intercooler in the pictures is a 1200hp rated air to water intercooler, 3in inlet and 3in outlet.  I also have a much smaller 600hp rated barrel shape air to water intercooler that I might start with, which has a much shorter path from turbo to inlet distance to reduce turbo lag,  as I progressively raise the boost and HP.  Air to Water intercoolers are pretty efficient. I will also be running a duel fuel system , off boost and low boost will run on pump gas and as boost rises , there is a second fuel tank, fuel rail and set of injectors delivering E85, this should substantially aid charge cooling and minimise detonation.

J

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday,September 19, 2023, 11:56:00 AM »
That is totally bananas. I love it!

Offline Taimoshan

« Reply #44 on: Thursday,September 21, 2023, 09:25:36 AM »
Hi All,

today I have a few pics of some of the body mods I have been working on.

First group of pics are the front trunk mods, where I am re-routing the radiator airflow down under the car to improve the aero and ground effects downforce. So I have cut out and blocked off the OEM Rad outlet and in the process (hard to notice) moved the inner wheel arch to fit the 15in wheel and tyres. Also have a large 3 core rad for a GT40 with 2 spal fans + a 2 core air to water intercooler rad to fit + the appropriate ducting from the front grill.  Need to cut out and shape the under car outlet next once the rads arrive.

Second group is the work on the wide arches , started on the RH Rear, quite some work and fiddling around to get the shape and position close, still not 100%, but heading in the right direction .