Author Topic: Europa TCST  (Read 56897 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Europa TCST
« Reply #240 on: Monday,April 19, 2021, 04:26:58 PM »
  The front lower T section has two plates , one for the t section and an overlay for the pedals. Then the cover plate on top of all that. But that’s an S2 .
  Looks great , keep moving forward.
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #241 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 01:22:16 PM »
Finished removing rot from T-section....need to clean things and finish fabricating repair pieces.

BDA you said to add clearance for the steering accessibility..... In which direction?
« Last Edit: Monday,April 26, 2021, 01:24:44 PM by TurboFource »
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline BDA

« Reply #242 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »
Good job, Turbo!!

Basically you want a bigger hole in the front of the 'T' so you have better access to the steering wheel u-joint. You're probably not like me and probably won't end up essentially rebuilding your car several times but if you need to get at the steering u-joint even once, you'll be thankful for better access.

I don't know if they make what I've always called "chassis punches" in the size you would want but I found this on the inerwebs (https://www.trick-tools.com/Flare_Tools_78?view_all). I searched for "sheet metal hole flare tools" (without the quotes) because "chassis punch" just gave hole punches so I apparently don't know the real name for them! The flare should give you some extra strength to make up for the bigger hold. If that's not practical, you should be able to double up the area there.

Sorry I can't give you dimentions but if you experiment with positioning your hand at different angles in the existing hole, that might help you size your new hole.

Does that help?

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #243 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 02:37:29 PM »
That's impressive work TurboFource - keep at it !!!

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #244 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
Thanks BDA... I found something called a "The Bob Stick" online that home aircraft builders
use to flange ribs for wings etc. Look s easy enough to make one and try it, especially since
I will end up with an odd size and maybe oval shaped opening. I can temporarily stick the rack back on the chassis
to help figure things out....

The Twin Cam T-section is surprisingly fabricated much different than an S2....the main part of the chassis is formed differently too.
« Last Edit: Monday,April 26, 2021, 03:30:41 PM by TurboFource »

Offline BDA

« Reply #245 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 04:15:32 PM »
I am continually amazed at the many differences between the S2 and the TC!

Another name for the tool I was talking about is "dimple die". I think you know what I'm talking about but just to make double dog sure, here's an image search (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sheet+metal+hole+flare+tools&t=opera&page=1&sexp=%7B"biaexp"%3A"b"%2C"msvrtexp"%3A"b"%7D&iax=images&ia=images). I wasn't able to find any information on "the Bob Stick" but I think you know what you're doing. An oval hole might be as good or even better than a round one.

Good luck and show us what you did when you finish it!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #246 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »
Here’s a simple flanging tool used in aircraft fabrication:

This works with light aluminium sheet and extremely light steel sheet.  It would not work with the 16g steel used in a Europa chassis.
« Last Edit: Monday,April 26, 2021, 06:20:52 PM by jbcollier »

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #247 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 09:32:56 PM »
Hello Turbo,

They are known as 'Flanged Lightening Holes' and there are tools available but for a one-off I'm sure that you could make one if you have access to a lathe?

Usually these are used in a fly press and given a good thump to form the flange but these appear to be able to be used in situ on the chassis.

For reference here's a photo of some that were for sale in the UK...

(If not, try and fabricate a beefier version of the tool that JB has shown?)

Mark
« Last Edit: Monday,April 26, 2021, 09:35:06 PM by lotusfanatic »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #248 on: Tuesday,April 27, 2021, 12:05:03 PM »
The "dimple dies" for flanged lightening holes are probably the best way to go, but this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LicoIj-BdWk - skip ahead to about 5:30) does a descent job hand hammering into a home made aluminum die. FYI, this sardonic Irishman is restoring an S2 Esprit on his channel Soup Classic Motoring. He explains himself well and uses a lot of stop action photography which is interesting to watch. It is also interesting to see just how similar the older Esprits are to the Europa.

Folks might be thinking I waste a lot of time on YouTube. Well...  :confused:

Tom

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #249 on: Tuesday,April 27, 2021, 04:13:25 PM »
No way to get a die in there....the rectangular stiffener/gusset inside is flush with the bottom of the steering hole.....

Did some cleaning up of my chassis cuts and started fabricating repair pieces.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #250 on: Tuesday,April 27, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »
This is " The Bob Stick" , you just put the metal in the slot and slowly and incrementally work your way around the hole to flange it.

Of course a wooden dowel would probably not work trying to flange steel.....
« Last Edit: Tuesday,April 27, 2021, 04:24:25 PM by TurboFource »

Offline BDA

« Reply #251 on: Tuesday,April 27, 2021, 04:21:46 PM »
That will complicate things. You may have to cut the hole a bit bigger and double up the area surrounding the hole.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #252 on: Tuesday,April 27, 2021, 11:13:54 PM »
The "dimple dies" for flanged lightening holes are probably the best way to go, but this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LicoIj-BdWk - skip ahead to about 5:30) does a descent job hand hammering into a home made aluminum die. FYI, this sardonic Irishman is restoring an S2 Esprit on his channel Soup Classic Motoring. He explains himself well and uses a lot of stop action photography which is interesting to watch. It is also interesting to see just how similar the older Esprits are to the Europa.
Folks might be thinking I waste a lot of time on YouTube. Well...  :confused:
Tom

I spend hours on YouTube - and I take my hat off to those who produce the videos on there - these in themselves are not easy to produce - especially when you just want to get something done and are not too sure about what you are doing... :)) :)) (Well this generally is the case for me anyway...). Regarding the above video, I have watched many of them and find his presentations "way up there" -  I always laugh at his term "the spinning wheel of death" when referring to an angle grinder....  :FUNNY:     

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #253 on: Monday,May 03, 2021, 01:15:55 PM »
Some more T-section repair pieces being fabricated.....slow going....using an angry grinder and cutoff wheel...and Dremel etc

Offline BDA

« Reply #254 on: Monday,May 03, 2021, 03:49:48 PM »
I know it feels like slow going but it is coming together. Those welds in the fist picture look really good!  :beerchug: