Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Lotus Europa 16V Gordini

<< < (45/45)

BDA:
Great pictures, Mecky! And great report on your race at SPA!

Regarding your competition, it appears the classification system over there is as hostile towards Lotus as it was over here when I was racing in the late ‘70s (Europa TCs competed against Datsun, now Nissan, 240Zs, 260Zs, and 280Zs).

You got two very honorable seconds. I think you did well and much better than in the past! Congratulations on big improvements all around!  :beerchug:

Mecky:
You are right that the classification system in my race series is far from perfect for me. From my point of view there are two major issues:

1.) The corridor of allowed build-years in my class is huge. It spans from 1947 to 1981. In reality, there was never a car older than from the mid 60s. That makes me one of the five oldest cars of a field ranging from 40 to 60 cars overall. The big corridor stretches over a significant turning point in FIA tyre regulations. Cars built from January 1st 1972 onwards are allowed to use slick tyres, older cars are not. That means that there is the possibility that cars in the same class have to follow different tyre regulations. I prefer a level playing field on the tyre front. No matter, whether slicks are allowed or forbidden. But the same should be apply for everyone in the same class.

2.) The minimum weight requirements in each class are based on average continental-european touring cars with steel body from the 80s. 1960s Lotus cars with polyester body have trouble even reaching this required weight of 740 kg in 1600 cc class without fuel and driver. Thus, I can't use my weight advantage to equalize my disadvantage in power.

Of course, I have chosen the racing series myself and knew about these shortcomings of the regulations. Thus, mea culpa. But I was not aware of the extend, in which this 1588 cc Toyota Celica is superior in engine power. I thought, it would have up to 180 HP, because its DOHC construction is more modern compared to my OHV engine. I'm afraid that my engine doesn't have a lot room for improvement left. Maybe I could gain a handful of horses with a different exhaust and/or intake manifold and I will try that. But at around 165 HP there is a ceiling, even Salv Sacco told me that.

Every Renault 807/843 crossflow engine, which has more than 165 horsepower, is very likely to be an 1800 cc (or more) engine. But I won't be taking that route. This would mean a step up into the 2000 cc class, which has minimum weight of 810 kg. Even with increased power output, that amount of weight would be deadly for the Europa.

BDA:
So older cars, which are already at a disadvantage, have to be saddled with inferior tires?! That’s lunacy!

With stuff like this and the all the politics surrounding Andretti trying to get on the F1 grid, it seems like the people who run motor sports are actively trying to ruin them.

Mecky:

--- Quote from: BDA on Monday,May 13, 2024, 07:01:22 AM ---So older cars, which are already at a disadvantage, have to be saddled with inferior tires?! That’s lunacy!

With stuff like this and the all the politics surrounding Andretti trying to get on the F1 grid, it seems like the people who run motor sports are actively trying to ruin them.

--- End quote ---
In the case of historic racing, the FIA has a safety concerns for the oldest cars. Because slick tyres are (of course) grippier than semi-slicks or historic-style racing tyres and therefore mean more stress for the suspension, chassis and brakes. At least with the Lotus Europa, they have a point. My suspension is already heavily upgraded, but the soft sheet-metal chassis is not very well suited for racing. Colin Chapman knew that, built the types 47 and 62 for racing purpose and didn't bother to enter the normal Europa in any race.

The mistake (from my POV) is that the rule makers of my competition span the class over that huge period of time. It would have been more sensible to divide it at the "tyre limit", which is 31st December 1971:
Older cars: no slicks
Younger cars: slicks

Regarding Andretti, you are completely right. The F1 teams are an elite group and try to keep this group exclusively to themselves. My guess is that Andretti will purchase the remains of Alpine sooner or later. This way, F1 can't keep them out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version