Author Topic: MINI 60 AMP ALTERNATOR  (Read 3800 times)

Offline exarkun1178

MINI 60 AMP ALTERNATOR
« on: Friday,May 02, 2014, 06:22:57 PM »
So I just bought a 1 wire NEW MINI SELF EXCITING 60 AMP ALTERNATOR, in black.  I have no idea if it will fit / work.   I do know that it is damn near half the size of the stock unit.  It is also much nicer to look at.   $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121118333750

there may or may not be some fab work, but in any event i will be a nice upgrade and improvement over the current stock unit.  Moreover, i am shedding 2 pounds.

Any one else install a mini alternator?

Offline Mecky

• Lotus Europa Racing
Re: MINI 60 AMP ALTERNATOR
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,May 03, 2014, 03:10:02 AM »
Moreover, i am shedding 2 pounds.
I love lightweight design  :pirate:

Offline Valerio Leone

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,May 03, 2014, 05:20:27 AM »
Thanks man!

In europe will cost double...
look at the delivery fees+duty...
I will ask to my wify to bring me back one when she comes back from her parents trip home..

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #3 on: Friday,May 09, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
The alternator arrived earlier in the week and was finally able to get it down to the shop today.  the "mini" is smaller then the stock unit, but not as small in comparison as i had hoped.  The good news however, it appears as it may be a near perfect fit.  eye ball alignment says it wont even need a shim!  Guess we'll know more in a few weeks.

Offline cal44

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,May 10, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »
Funny you would bring up alignment.  I can't tell you how many knuckleheads don't know how to use a straight edge when doing an install of an alternator. 

mike
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,May 31, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »
Bolt up for fitment, looks darn good.  and looks much smaller then the stock unit.

Offline frankm

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,June 01, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
I just picked up the same unit for my ground up rebuild. I have not fit to the engine yet (it's still on the stand), but it should be a nice improvement. Nice compact size and only 7 pounds. Also reworking/modifying  the brake system, cooling system, wiring, adding a fuse block, grounding wire, etc.. The car sat for 30+ years, so there is a lot of work to do....

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,June 01, 2014, 02:40:36 PM »
That sounds like its a ton of work ahead of you! good luck.

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #8 on: Monday,June 30, 2014, 01:23:55 AM »
Hi, so I bought one of these alternators and it does fit lovely in terms of alignment
(I have a Gordini engine) but it replaces the Lucas alternator I had on it and I'm confused
as to the rewiring if anyone could help?

The lightweight alt comes with a 3 pin in row plug (tiny pins type 4) marked '   S   IG   L     '

Theres an external regulator originally whereas the lightweight has one built in.

On the Lucas alt;

+ pos to Battery live
M terminal is earth
EXC wire goes through to the regulator then relay and back to the alt through the ign key-
therefore its not needed as the new alt one has a reg built in BUT it will need a wire to the switched ignition,
this would be the wire ' W1 ' from the relay above the regulator on the engine bay wall I guess - plug that to the tab marked IG on the new 3 pin alternator!
Is that it? Have I worked it out on my own?..... :beerchug:

Also, I fitted the linkage parts from Banks, so tested to see if I could drive it into the garage from the drive.
I have no brakes so I put a couple of tyres behind me on the floor and some in the garage. It drove straight
into the garage bounced of the tyres in there which sent it back out of the garage to hit the tyres on the drive he he! Then rain fell from the sky, the car died then wouldn't start (ran out of petrol) - BUT its the first time I have driven a Europa (forward and back)!

PS Can't post pics, doesn't matter what size 200k or 2mb gif or jpg they won't attach? Wheres the upload once file selected?

Regards, Mark
« Last Edit: Monday,June 30, 2014, 07:23:13 AM by Europaforever »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #9 on: Monday,June 30, 2014, 08:07:16 AM »
At least the car runs and moves under it's own power, one less major headache to deal with. This link may or may not help in wiring your alternator.

http://westfield-world.com/daihatsu_alternator.html

In posting pictures, there is no upload button. Once you've selected your attachment (s), simply hit Post. There is a size restriction on individual pictures.   

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday,July 01, 2014, 07:09:32 AM »
Thanks for the link but it doesn't show the type 4 plug I have which is  marked     IG   S    L      From what I have found by googling;

IG is to the keyed ignition and so putting a wire from IG to the + on the coil it leads back to the key via the rev counter tach looking at the wiring diagram (S2).
'IG' terminal is used to turn the alternator on when the engine is on.  If the regulator didn't have a signal to turn on / off it would drain the battery.

S is for sense which can go to the + pos on the battery as a constant live via a 8amp fuse - (it allows the alternator regulator to measure the true voltage at the positive terminal of the battery.

L is for the alt light idiot switch which I won't bother with. (yeah yeah I'm being an idiot!)

terminal B post is for the main battery feed.

Does this all sound correct?
« Last Edit: Tuesday,July 01, 2014, 07:20:07 AM by Europaforever »

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday,July 01, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »
for what its worth the one i ordered had only a single terminal on the rear of the unit....

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday,July 15, 2014, 06:16:17 PM »
Saw the car over the weekend. i can confirm there is only one wire to the single terminal on the back.  Also,  the unit works fine and there was no alignment issue.

Offline Europaforever

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday,July 16, 2014, 12:11:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I found an instruction sheet and it confirms the wiring pattern I suggested.

I have now fitted the alt with good alignment but I had to use the original bracket arm. It just fits at
its full extension but I see you have cut and re-welded yours! Thats a good plan- you know I've tried
and it seems you can't buy universal curved chrome bracket arms in the UK.