Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

807/TS DD, Auto-X, Hill-Climb build.

(1/8) > >>

Richard48Y:
It occurs to me that I may have been posting some of my questions to the wrong sub-forum.
They may be more appropriate here?
1970 S2, 807/TS DD, Auto-X, Hill-Climb build.

An enhanced performance street car/occasional mild competition build.
807 engine with TS head, Weber 40's, headers, and whatever other tricks I may add on a limited budget.
It will be a DD in summer out here in rural Nevada.
No intent to subject it to city traffic unless I go to a weekend car show, and that would never be the Hot August Nights jam-up.

Most discussion at this site seems to be related to Lotus/Ford TC engines.
I see a few Renault powered cars being raced so hopefully I may bounce some of my questions off this sub-forum.

While I am not chasing max HP I am very interested in reliability/long engine life mods.
So far the most interesting I have found mention of are.
1. Undercutting the camshaft so that the followers do not hit the casting when on the cam heel.
2. Reducing excess oil flow to the cam for more oil pressure to the crankshaft.
3. Discussion of valve spring pressures.
4. Cutting a 4mm deep relief around the circumference of the cylinder top for a more positive head-gasket seal.

My own musings have me chasing after Beehive valve springs and cryogenic or TiN treatment of cam followers, camshaft, cylinders, and maybe even the crankshaft.

TiN turns out to be very expensive but Cryo is relatively cheap.
Cannot do much more with the Beehive springs goal until I get the cam back from Delta Cams.
I shipped it to them a couple of days ago so they should have it Friday.
They will contact me with their assessment for repair and grinds they offer.
If Delta are able to provide excellent service we may want to make note of that somewhere.
I was originally going to buy a Cat Cams camshaft but Euro 550 and shipping, plus the language barrier made that infeasible.
I believe that Delta will be half the cost, possible less.

My Wossner forged pistons are 77.8 mm for 1595cc.
I expect to have to shave the tops to bring compression down a little.

I have been corresponding with Salv Sacco a bit and bought the pistons from him.
Salv states that the Max Speeding rods have improved from their early days and are now very good.

More as it occurs, suggestions welcome.

Richard48Y:
I was going to add some PDF's regards new metal treatments but the files are too large.
MS2, Metal Ion implantation, Moly DiSulphide.
I can email them to anyone who is interested.
Claims are some pretty amazing results for HP gains and increased component life.

Richard48Y:
A bit of information not easily found for TS type heads.
Original thickness/height top to bottom.
Nominal height 93.5mm. (3.681102")
Minimum repair height 93mm. (3.661417")

This can be used to find out if the head has been milled in the past and how much.
Seems milling the head also throws off valve-train geometry.
So head milling is not a good means of raising compression.

GavinT:

--- Quote from: Richard48Y on Thursday,November 24, 2022, 01:18:12 PM ---
Seems milling the head also throws off valve-train geometry.

--- End quote ---

It depends.
The valve train between the lifters and valves remains unchanged because they're all contained in the head.
The part that can change is the relationship between the cam (in the block) and the lifters. That's what adjustable cam sprockets are for.  ;)

Richard48Y:
My minor victory of the day is finding that my head is .0073" thicker than "Nominal".  :)
This should mean it has never been cut.

I have a lot of notes and comments scattered around the forum.
Tonight I hope to complete my email to Delta Cams.
I also intend to gather much of this information up and post it here after it is organized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version