Author Topic: V-8 project  (Read 21438 times)

Offline TurboFource

Re: V-8 project
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday,August 10, 2022, 12:36:03 PM »
Any updates on this awesome project?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #46 on: Wednesday,August 10, 2022, 07:14:31 PM »
Oh ya, but watching paint, or should I say primer dry. After soda blast and hours of body work, almost done with final blocking, then on to primer wet sand for the paint. My body man helper/advisor wants at least 30 plus days for the Feather Fill G2 to shrink out, even though the instruction sheet states can be sanded after only a few hours of application. He has years in the trade so I yield to his expertise. Should be ready for paint soon, but I think I will mount the body on the chassis first and then paint. I don't want to paint it off the chassis and take the chance of tweaking the body and possibly damaging or cracking the new paint. I will mount the body with the V-8 in-situ, as installing the engine and transaxle after the body is on is difficult, a very tight fit. Engine is at the machine shop now. A few boring status pictures of primer drying. Looking forward to final assembly. Thanks for the interest.   

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #47 on: Thursday,August 11, 2022, 03:32:51 AM »
 8).     Have you picked a color?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #48 on: Thursday,August 11, 2022, 06:27:30 AM »
Kram,
     listen to your bodyman and wait on painting.
  There are plenty of odd jobs to keep you going, so its not really waiting. it really looks good.  :trophy:  :coolpic:
dakazman

Offline Kendo

« Reply #49 on: Thursday,August 11, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »
Kram350kram, I'm almost at the Featherfill stage. Did your advisor say to wait on all sanding until 30 days had passed, or just the final before priming?

Looks good, even at that stage. I'm jealous ;)

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #50 on: Thursday,August 11, 2022, 08:11:53 PM »
Kendo,

Short answer; A 30 day wait after each primer evolution and out in the sun and heat as much as possible.
Long answer; Waited 30 days on the initial 3 coat primer after body work. Out in the sun near everyday, then blocked with 180. Another three coats, then another 30 day wait and blocked again with white guide coat. Couple of lighter coats of Feather Fill to fix some spots that showed up after guide coat. Now waiting another 30 days and will block with 320/600 wet, then paint. I did a little sanding after 5 days on the hood and then at 30 days on a door after the first primer coats. The paper cut much better at 30 days and the primer smell was gone. Seems like a lot of waiting but even with the primer catalyzed it seems to get harder the longer it sits, so it must continue to shrink out. Since the car will be black, we want to be sure it will be straight and will not have sand scratches. I have to say I like mechanical work better. 

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #51 on: Thursday,November 03, 2022, 07:55:08 PM »
Getting closer to mounting the engine in the chassis. Backwoods Frankenstein engine run-in stand, just the mock up engine mounted now. Waiting on the custom ground cam from California. Been a lot of cam failures in the domestic V-8 engine world, apparently from poor heat treatment. Best to run-in the motor out of the car as getting the V-8 back out with the body on the chassis would not be fun.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #52 on: Friday,November 04, 2022, 03:35:28 AM »
 8)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #53 on: Friday,November 04, 2022, 10:40:43 AM »
  Kram,
  With the radiator a larger size are you going to increase the diameter of the transfer pipes? 
I love your exhaust layoutand cant wait for the startup vidio. :trophy:
dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #54 on: Friday,November 04, 2022, 12:09:52 PM »
Looks like they are 1-5/8" from a previous post.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #55 on: Friday,November 04, 2022, 08:00:59 PM »
Correct, 1-5/8" diameter.  With a 350 Corvette radiator, overdriven water pump and additional water capacity from the pipes, I might have a cool running 289? Mock-up picture of pipes.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #56 on: Saturday,November 05, 2022, 03:40:55 AM »
After buying a manometer, anemometer, infrared camera to find what my issue was. I found I had a pretty new fan not doing it's part. If you need aftermarket fans. Get the highest flowing that will fit. https://www.spal-vertrieb.de/en/catalog/

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #57 on: Monday,December 05, 2022, 06:53:26 PM »
Getting close to firing up the V-8 on the test stand.  Alignment of the transaxle to the crank centerline was very difficult and time consuming, as the adapter plate was off centerline some .020" to the Porsche trans and some .005 off the engine. Made some custom dowels on the lathe to get to zero runout. The Porsche transaxle allows for zero input deflection with its tapered roller bearing input as opposed to the stock Ford transmission with input roller bearings which allow some minor misalignment off centerline.  Anyway thought some might find this interesting. 

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday,December 06, 2022, 03:31:32 AM »
Can’t wait till you get it running! Is the tranny a 5 or a 6 speed?

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #59 on: Tuesday,December 06, 2022, 08:27:03 AM »
A G86/01 5 speed, which was not really the best option, the six speed would have been a better choice with the higher torque rating. However, the 5 speed fits the car better and the shifter, cable orientation are perfect for the Europa Chassis. Will need to careful not to strip gears or twist the input off, I'm over the torque rating with the 289 by about 25%. I wouldn't be doing any power shifting or clutch drops. The only solace I have is the tire width is less than a stock Boxster and with no posi, hoping it stays together. The gear ratio's are near the same as the stock Europa 4 speed but with 5th .83:1 under.