Author Topic: 2766R Finally...  (Read 5925 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: 2766R Finally...
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,March 07, 2018, 05:08:23 AM »
Looks terrific! Another driver hits the road, congrats!  :beerchug: I sympathize with the weather keeping us off the road, can't wait until spring. What's your plan for paint? Restore what you have, or respray. I've been looking into gentle paint restoration methods, and your original paint already looks better than mine. I'd be interested to hear your plans.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,March 07, 2018, 05:15:55 AM »
Congratulations, 2766R!!  :beerchug:

:lotus:

She looks like a fine specimen! Keep us up to date on your progress and if you get stuck, somebody here will surely be able to help you.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,March 07, 2018, 05:35:27 AM »
Nothing better than having your sports car ready for the driving season! Congrats!

Offline 2766R

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,March 07, 2018, 08:28:50 AM »
Thanks for the complements and encouragement.  It may look decent in the pictures but, believe me, between spider cracks, blistered paint, cracking finish on the instrument panel, splits in the driver's seat, etc, etc it's going to be a process.  Lets say it's a 30 footer at this point, hopefully a 2 footer one day.  Not conours but a no excuse driver.  here are some pictures; first (2) are from late summer at Ragtops, second (2) from 2 years ago.

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,March 07, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »
It really doesn't look that bad. The fiberglass work isn't too bad. The interior will probably be the biggest pain to do.

Since you're probably getting a new dash, I recommend http://prestigeautowood.com/. He does a super job including finishing the back and all edges to keep moisture out and he'll do custom work like more or fewer gauges, glove box door, etc. He has a selection of veneers to choose from. You probably already know about https://www.autointeriors.biz/ since they're not far from you.

At least, in the mean time, you can drive it!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,March 07, 2018, 10:07:14 AM »
I’m a big believer of mechanical work first, cosmetic second. Your doing it the right way.

Offline coldwarvet

« Reply #21 on: Saturday,March 10, 2018, 11:13:45 AM »
...nice work...I think your mechanic was right to trailer it back...they still use salt on the roads back there don't they?...

Offline 2766R

« Reply #22 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 04:51:16 AM »
Damn, another nor'easter on the way, and yes, more salt on the road.  Highway Department + snow + salt = OVERTIME!  :headbanger:
Enough of me grumbling.  I need a little advice and I'll post in a new subject in the 'Garage' forum. 

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #23 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 05:15:21 AM »
Damn, another nor'easter on the way, and yes, more salt on the road.  Highway Department + snow + salt = OVERTIME!  :headbanger:

Feeling your pain in the Boston area.
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #24 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 05:36:28 AM »
I just gave up and moved to Florida after age 32 and having to work outside in sub zero weather to get aircraft out. I also remember after double double shifts getting home only to shovel the snow out AGAIN.
Well stay safe !
Dakazman

Offline 2766R

« Reply #25 on: Monday,September 24, 2018, 03:48:04 AM »
Well it's been a while updating some minor progress on 2766R.  Back in March I had new vinyl door panel and driver’s seat side and head bolsters patterns sewn up made from my tatty originals at AutoMat.  I had them make up new sun visors.  They used the old visor frames with new sewn up vinyl and foam.  The original visors were a bag of dust inside the heat sealed vinyl 45 years on.  Also ordered and installed new floor mats. Finally got around to repairing (fiber glassing) the door cards; they were cracked along the full length of the 90< bend.  I made up new door aperture cards as well.
https://www.autointeriors.biz/

The original carpeting is a bit threadbare in spots but I can live with it as is for now.

Also touch-up the paint just as a temporary fix until a full respray can be done, tentatively late winter/early spring.
 https://www.paintscratch.com/

I’ve also ordered a crash pad (from Banks) and a new dash panel from CG Autowood.  I had it custom finished with quarter sawn mahogany.  It’s a little lighter than I had envisioned but with the rest of the interior being black, it will brighten things up a bit. These will be installed after the respray.

Now for few before/after and other pics: 

Offline 2766R

« Reply #26 on: Monday,September 24, 2018, 03:51:39 AM »
I meant to include the new dash pic as well:

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Monday,September 24, 2018, 05:15:05 AM »
Very nice!  :beerchug:

Offline Clifton

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday,September 25, 2018, 03:28:17 AM »
Looks good. Is your horn button new? I haven't seen a nicer one for a Momo wheel.

Offline 2766R

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday,September 25, 2018, 05:26:49 AM »
Looks good. Is your horn button new? I haven't seen a nicer one for a Momo wheel.

No, not new.  It's original to the Momo wheel that I installed back in the early '80's.  Of course it doesn't work the horn, they work off of the stalk.