Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168575 times)

Offline Pfreen

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1125 on: Monday,August 19, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
The electric window ground goes under one of the the motor assembly mounting bolts to the door.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1126 on: Monday,August 19, 2019, 07:19:16 AM »
I have never had the voltage issue Ted described and that might be the problem but my thought was since all the turn signals share a flasher, that there might be a difference in draw between the right and left sides. Are you using LEDs anywhere? Are you using the stock flasher? I seem to remember playing with different flashers to get the blinking frequency I wanted (I have no idea why the original flasher with standard incandescent bulbs would have been a problem  :confused:).

As for the window motor ground, I just put it under one of the mounting bolts for the motor. I'll get you a picture.

Can't wait for your first drive report!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1127 on: Monday,August 19, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
Some signal flashers have a load dependant flashing rate.  They have a bimetallic strip that heats up when the signals are connected, breaks the contact, cool and then remake the contact.  Bright, hi-watt bulbs mean a fast flash rate while low-watt/led bulbs mean a slow (or no) flash rate.  Other flashers are not load dependant and flash at the same rate regardless (Tridon HD12 and HD13 for example).  If one side flashes at a slower rate it means it has a different load.  So: different bulbs, poor connections, poor ground, etc.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1128 on: Monday,August 19, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
Glad you put in some crazy hours!

Window motors, PFreen  nailed it.

Flashers , did you add any dielectric to the sockets,  maybe too much? Bad bulb? Swap sides see if problem follows. Use some jumpers with alligator clips.

Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1129 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 05:08:09 AM »
my turn signals have the same symptoms when I first start the car.....until the alternator is revved up and charging, the voltage is too low and my signals blink VERY slow or just stay on.    Never did anything about it, except to make sure I revved the engine early when starting the car, then all seems fine after that.    So maybe a low voltage issue?   check that alternator is charging 13-14 volts.

Alternator running at higher speeds didn’t solve the problem. I ordered new flashers. Charging perfectly (I had the alternator rebuilt).

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1130 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 05:10:25 AM »
The electric window ground goes under one of the the motor assembly mounting bolts to the door.

I finally gave up trying to find a tiny bolt to attach the ground wire to inside of the door. Cut off the terminals, crimped on larger ring terminals and placed on one of the bolts holding the motor in place. Works like a charm.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1131 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 05:12:34 AM »
Glad you put in some crazy hours!

Window motors, PFreen  nailed it.

Flashers , did you add any dielectric to the sockets,  maybe too much? Bad bulb? Swap sides see if problem follows. Use some jumpers with alligator clips.

Dakazman

Dave, I did spray dielectric but am careful not to go crazy. Bulbs are all brand new and working. Swapped wiring when I couldn’t get the lights to flash. I’ve ordered a new flasher.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1132 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »
Monday after work I finally took the Europa out of the garage for its first road test after I put the rear view mirror in and adjusted the side mirror.  Drove 6 miles around my home (didn't want to get too far away in case I had to limp home for some reason). Engine runs extremely well and has huge torque, transmission shifts very well (I was worried about this as its fully rebuilt and this is the first time its been used since the rebuild), engine temp is still a bit hot but I think there are two reasons for that. The water pump belt seemed loose to me and I'm guessing its the wrong size and not turning the pump enough plus I reversed the radiator fan blade on the electric motor and reversed the polarity to make it spin as a pusher vs puller. I think I need to put the blades back in its original orientation. Steering is very good and the all the gauges and accessories function. There is a slight clunking sound from the rear of the car that sounds like something hitting the drive shaft u-joints and there is a scraping sound coming from the front wheels when turning.  The clutch is adjusted perfectly (phew) and the brakes work well for brand new pads and shoes that haven't been scrubbed in yet.

My wife was so excited she came out to take pictures of me driving the Europa to send to our son's. She was waiting in the driveway for my return.

Put the car back on the lift. No oil leaks, no brake fluid leaks, no cooling fluid leaks. Check.

Investigated the sound coming from the rear, yup just what I thought. The new grade 8 bolt heads in the upright are just snicking the u-joint metal.  That is just a filing to do.

The front end was more of a surprise. Both inside wheels are scraping the upper a-arms in the same place. That has me wondering and sent me to the shop manual and making a separate posting on this site to get sage advice. After spending an hour reading and checking the confirm I had everything assembled correctly (I did) I decided to sleep on it and work on it in the morning.

Or not. Decided I should do one more job before going to sleep and installed the left interior door panel and associated trim.  Yeah, that took hours and now its 1am in the morning. 

I'm now two days behind on my schedule and wondering if I should be thinking about driving the Europa to LOG.  Looked at one of my Elan's and thought about what I need to do to get one of them ready for a road trip. I'm not giving up yet. Tuesday will tell all.......

« Last Edit: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 06:02:33 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1133 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 06:15:40 AM »
All in all, it sounds like things are going well, if not quite as quickly or smoothly as you hoped. Congratulations on the first drive with your baby!  :beerchug:

I hope you're able to take it to the LOG!

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #1134 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 06:51:08 AM »
First Ride.  That is awesome.  No leaks, even better.  I think you are heading to LOG in the car.  Have a great trip.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #1135 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 11:41:15 AM »
You have a huge smile in the third photo. Looks great!

Offline seniorchristo

« Reply #1136 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 02:49:29 PM »
Yes, congratulations Glen!!  ;D and plus 1 on the beer chug :beerchug:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1137 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
My advice?  Don't rush to a deadline.  Better to have time to work the bugs out.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1138 on: Tuesday,August 20, 2019, 04:54:10 PM »
Glen , I saved a copy of all your pics.
 You still have a few days before your journey. Your hours of working are inspiring all of us . Take heed in what JB says. You are a winner in this lotus community and a legend period.
Dave K

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1139 on: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 04:23:42 AM »
Appreciate all the complements and the advise. Even though I have put in some huge hours this past month on completing the restoration, it’s mainly because I am careful and detailed oriented while reassembling. Plus I won’t give up the attention to detail and quality of the completed car. (Not mentioning the continuous customization I have done along the way).

This isn’t my first rodeo. It’s my third Lotus fame off project and one additional soft restoration. The last month is always a time killer.

Safety is always the biggest concern. Suspension, brakes, electrical, lights, signals, engine and trans need to operate at spec or better. Anything less is not except-able and I won’t put the car on the road.

Last night I did a 30 mile road test. Pitch black and late enough there was no traffic. I know, you have to be a fool to do another road test in the dark. But I know what I have built and wasn’t worried. The drive was glorious.

One more road test today to confirm longer operating conditions. Except for a few pieces of trim, 2358R is almost done.     
« Last Edit: Wednesday,August 21, 2019, 04:25:56 AM by Certified Lotus »