Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168588 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1065 on: Thursday,August 08, 2019, 05:53:33 AM »
Thanks for the continued moral support guys. I've been putting in some long evenings to keep the progress going. It's slow and methodical but I'm not going to rush anything.

Picked up my refinished door from Dave's shop.  Big shout out to Dave for turning the repair work around in 2 days.  Looks great and as always does a very professional job. He even fiber glassed some cracks in my luggage box for me. Thanks again Dave!

Most of my work last night was the boring stuff. Making wiring extensions (I moved the brake pressure sensor and had to make longer wires), putting shrink wrap tubing on old connectors to make a better weather seal, installing aluminum wiring harness hold downs, wrapping wiring harness with black covering material to make a clean install, etc. etc. 

Cleaned the center console with "Back to Black".  Also repaired a crack on one side of the console by reinforcing the back of the plastic with a piece of plastic superglued to make sure the crack doesn't open up again.

Drilled out the spring steel wire inside of the OEM heater knob so I can solder the new steel cable in. File the end of the steel cable holder flat so you can center punch it for accurate drilling.  Broke a few 1/16th bits along the way as spring steel is very hard. Use oil while drilling. A drill press is a must. Cannot do this with a hand held drill.

The next step is carpet install.  I've got all the interior wiring and control cables routed that goes under the carpet so I should be ready.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1066 on: Thursday,August 08, 2019, 06:47:24 AM »
Great stuff, Certified! She is really coming together and your not hurrying will yield huge dividends!

I think it's pretty cool to have original heater and choke knobs! I still have my heater knob but lost my choke knob long ago and wanted a matching choke knob (I think I finally found where they can be had) but then my carbs are for a front engine car so hooking up a choke cable is not a trivial matter so it's deleted and my garage door opener sits there.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1067 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 03:51:12 AM »
Left side door install day. I laid out the table for working on the door along with all the associated parts to assemble the exterior door handle, lock, window motor, inside door handle & locking device, the several rails and special clips (several were broken) and the door hinge pin system.

Bruce was coming over to help (Thank goodness, there is no way to do this install alone) and while I was waiting for him I put the car on the lift and installed two rubber grommets' in the chassis holes where the heater and choke cables go thru. I had forgotten to install those and didn't want to forget again.   Tough location to reach after the car is assembled, so remember to do this when the chassis of off the body.

Bruce arrived in his Elan S2 (Great sports car driving day) and we set about installing everything in the door. Of course it all take hours......  The exterior door handle needed fettling as there was new fiberglass installed where the door handle had pulled out. And then we had to install the motor (that was easy) and the control rods that operate everything (that was hard).  I had bought new clips for the control rods and they were such a tight fit you couldn't snap them in place with your fingers. Had to use pliers.........in a space that isn't meant for a pair of pliers.  And then the dock locking mechanism was being difficult.  Bruce kept at it while I moved to the installed door to install the new clips.  We were both doing the same thing on two different doors grumbling “no wonder they could only build 5 cars a day at the Lotus factory”.

Larry stopped by to see what progress had been made since he helped with the rear window installation. He was very surprised how much had been done and thought I would only be a couple of days from finishing. Yes, I thought so too, but no way I would make it to New Hope on Sunday. He agreed. 

Bruce and I went to lunch and stopped by the local Ace hardware store (they have a great bolt department) to pick up some stainless steel washers.  I thought the bottom hinge of the door could use an extra washer (three instead of two) but didn't had the right size in stock at home.

Back at my garage we prepped for the door hinge install. Taped the opening area of the door, test fit the pin in the bobbins, greased the inside of the bobbins, the SS pin, the SS washers (to hold them in place) and the inside of the SS door receivers.  As I had done this all before on the right door last week I figured this would be a breeze. I would be wrong.

I wont go into all the gory details but ..........Two and one half hours later we stood back to admire our work and remove the masking tape from the body. Yup, looks great but can't close the door all the way because the new rubber door molding forces the door to be too proud. 

I was running very late for a planned dinner at a local restaurant and had to say thanks and goodbye to Bruce quickly. I have to tell you, got to appreciate good friends who come to help get your Lotus back together!  Really appreciate it Bruce!

While driving to the restaurant my wife say's "you and Bruce where in the garage for almost 10 hours today and all you got done was one door?" Yes dear.  "I just don't understand how you guys are so passionate about these cars".  Yup, neither do I..........  I just need a drink.

« Last Edit: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 04:18:44 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1068 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 05:29:08 AM »
   As always your story of the processes we go through, as well as professionals,  deal with to assemble correctly an item are out standing. I always think to myself , I’m the one who is warranting this...🤔 Doings things twice takes even longer.
 Aside from the interior and operational testing it looks nearly complete. Now it’s time to write a book!
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #1069 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 05:43:49 AM »
That really is great progress! Maybe your Europa will be the only rain tight one out there!

I see you posted about possible solutions to your sealing problem on another thread but I thought I'd give your my thoughts here. Stuff like rubber seals probably goes through small dimensional changes over time. Check out Steele Rubber Products (https://www.steelerubber.com/). You might be able to find seals that are a LITTLE smaller or have a slightly thinner section than the ones you have. You might call Ray to see if he has any ideas. You might try Dave Bean.

I don't remember where I got mine but they fit alright but they are not rain tight. I found some hollow stick-on seals at Lowes that I put on the raised part around the window and now things stay dry inside. I guess the moral of the story might be to happy with a seal that is a little too small and customize. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 06:05:54 AM by BDA »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #1070 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »
I spent 8 hours today on the RH door of 3089R today, and it is half done.

The interior trim, dashboard, carpet and doors are all very slow progress.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1071 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »
It's good (to me anyway) that I'm not the only one who could spend hours and hours aligning a door so it would be close enough to only need to spend hours and hours more to get it nearly right!  :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1072 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 11:45:04 AM »
  Boy , I can’t wait to hang mine now.🤪
Dakazman

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #1073 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 11:53:11 AM »
Sorry to hear some rain on your parade. I encountered the same issue with the door seals. After much frustrations with the door being too proud and stiff to close properly, I would suggest another supplier to the door seals.

Ray's were too big for the bulb section...too much material.
Banks, were better and with some selective slices on the inner weld, seemed to make them fold over better at the leading edge where the sill and foot well arch meet.
McMaster Carr is another source, they have various dimensions of bulb sizes.

Tech tip...draw in your striker a little, this will compress the bulb quicker to take a memory.
You can always readjust later.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1074 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »
4129R, glad to hear I’m not the only one spending countless hours reassembling the doors.

Lou and BDA, there is no way the RD molding is going to compress enough. Luckily I saved the original moldings and will re-install those until I find an exact copy or something very close to them. The hunt is on!
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 01:51:34 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #1075 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1076 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 04:08:38 PM »
This might also be a good place to look: https://www.steelerubber.com/push-on-weatherstrip-seal

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1077 on: Saturday,August 10, 2019, 04:31:49 PM »
This might also be a good place to look: https://www.steelerubber.com/push-on-weatherstrip-seal

This is a great vendor . Dealt with them years ago and funny thing is two weeks ago ordered their catalog.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1078 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 06:19:03 AM »
See my detailed response in the Door Seals topic. I think I found a suitable solution. 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1079 on: Sunday,August 11, 2019, 06:43:01 AM »
I spent a fair amount of time yesterday trying to figure out the door seal issue, which hopefully I have resolved. But it took hours of valuable rebuild time and I didn't get as much done as I wanted.  Here is what got accomplished:

Riveted the left door ID plate in.

Installed the new Sebring plastic chrome mirror. I had also ordered the optional mirror base that raises the mirror to increase viewing area, but I haven't installed it yet until I drive the car on the road and determine if I really need it.

Silver soldered the OEM heater knob to the new spring steel cable.  Then routed it to the proper location, measured, cut and installed.

Installed the new choke cable, cut off the excess cable housing and trimmed the cable to length.  In order to install the cable into the weber carb choke cable receptacle, you need to trim 1/2" of the plastic sheath off to insert into the hold down block and tighten the screw.  I also trimmed a piece of cable sheath for the second carb and installed.

There are two switches on the dash board that were faded and I had decided to leave them that way to add a bit of the classic "this is an old sports car" feel.  It's been bothering me that they are the only switches that are faded so I will be dyeing them black. Before photos show the condition now, will update when I have finished them.