Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168601 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1020 on: Monday,July 29, 2019, 04:44:40 AM »
Was way too tired Ted. Corrected. Thanks!

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #1021 on: Monday,July 29, 2019, 11:25:23 AM »
The installation of the closing plate had its own challenges. Two of the threaded bolts that hold the plate in place had snapped off (PO did this). Of course I was going to try and save the day by drilling out the bolts and re-threading them. Good idea but not reality. I drilled out the bolts and then used a bolt extractor which ended up breaking inside the bolt. Great, now I have hardened steel extractor that wont drill out easily.  Spent a couple of hours grinding out the extractor with a Dremel tool, then re-drilling and using a tap to thread the opening.

Been there, done that. But with me it is always the hardened drill breaking in those holes.

I ended up overdrilling and tapping for 5/16"UNF instead of the standard 1/4"UNF.

Offline seniorchristo

« Reply #1022 on: Tuesday,July 30, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »
You're quite the Restoration Maestro Glen :beerchug: I know from working with you there's always a few tricks up your sleeve for installing the nearly impossible.  Surgical tools!  :)  Who would have thunk it. ???

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1023 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 03:04:19 AM »
4129R, I am so careful when I drill out snapped off bolts & rethread. Like you, have broken a few drill bits myself inside the bolt I’m drilling. Never thought to just increase the size of the bolt and drill away. Will remember that. Thanks!

Chris, thanks for the complement and yes, surgical tools in the garage. Truth be known, I usually buy surgical tools for my RC model building. But that’s another story......

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1024 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 04:53:34 AM »
Surgical instruments have all kinds of uses. No dropped washer gets away from these babies.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1025 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 09:19:44 AM »
Windscreen install day. I had made an interior brace to hold up the fiberglass roof and setup all the parts for the windscreen install earlier in the morning.  Nobody was more surprised than me when two very large trucks from ABS Auto Glass pulls into my driveway and 4 guys pile out.  They are admiring my Lotus cars and my workshop and when we get to talking about the installation of the windscreen and what is actually involved there is a lot of Spanish conversation going on and a phone call to "the boss". They hang up and say they can't do the job.  HUH? You got to be kidding.  They say to call the boss. Which I do.

I calmly explained the woman I spoke with last week on the phone was well informed of what was involved and specifically talked about a glue in windscreen along with gluing in the trim. I even said I made her contact the adhesive manufacturer to confirm it would adhere to fiberglass (which she did).  And then I told him I took the day off from work to be here.  He said he would be at my house in 20 minutes and tell his guys to wait.

20 minutes later he shows up, has me explain how the windscreen and trim is installed and then takes over.  Very methodical, very focused, explaining everything he is doing to his guys in Spanish and in 90 minutes its all done. Amazing. Says not to move the car for 4 hours, leave the tape on for 48 hours and everything should be good.

Thanks me for my business and leaves. His guys hand me the bill ($320) even though there were 5 people and took longer than expected. I was happy to pay them.

Offline Dan C 2624R

« Reply #1026 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »
Glenn,  The car is really coming together and looking great.  Dan

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #1027 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 10:15:50 AM »
looks great!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 11:22:51 AM by tedtaylor »
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #1028 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
I second Ted and Dan's comments. She is looking great, but I have to say, you are REALLY lucky that that guy was willing to do your windshield job and explain to his workers how to do it. I can't tell you how many windshield shops I called - even ones that cater to classic cars - who didn't want to have anything to do with my windshield. When I was building my car back in '98, I found two guys who were willing to do it. The first guy said he wouldn't guarantee anything. While the second guy was doing it, I told him about the first guy. He said he wasn't going to guarantee anything either! He did a great job and there were no problems but nobody wants to fool with them at all now.

May your luck continue!

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #1029 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 12:23:59 PM »
That looks really good! A beautiful car and restoration job!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1030 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
Wow Glen , what a story!
 As am reading your post I say to myself, please take all the junk out of your pockets. Then I see your well prepared.
  As always your prep work has checkmated all obstacles. Well done.

I find myself looking at the pictures and find myself saying, that’s not what I ordered. The trim looks fantastic!👍👍

Dakazman

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1031 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
Really looks like a complete car with the windshield in. Congrats Glen!

I had a bit of a windshield scare today. You may hear on the news a tornado/microburst tore through the area north of Boston today. My wife and I were in a movie theater and missed the whole thing. We came out into a war zone. Trees and branches were down all over the place. Our house and driveway are under a huge chestnut tree. As we were walking back to the house my wife was saying "Oh please let the roof of our house and the garden be okay". I was saying to myself "Oh please let the Lotus windshield not be broken". Fortunately both were okay, but our neighbors were not all so lucky. Weather is weird these days.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #1032 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 08:20:32 PM »
Weather has always been weird! I'm glad you, your family, and your stuff were unharmed!

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1033 on: Wednesday,July 31, 2019, 09:22:44 PM »
. . . but I have to say, you are REALLY lucky that that guy was willing to do your windshield job and explain to his workers how to do it. I can't tell you how many windshield shops I called - even ones that cater to classic cars - who didn't want to have anything to do with my windshield.
I hear ya . .
Way back in time, I purchased a new windscreen for my Lotus Excel which included installation.
When it came time for delivery, I got a call saying they they wouldn’t be able to install because it was a “foreign scary car” which was my interpretation.

After pressing them on the issue, they agreed to have one of their installers assess the situation without any further commitment on their part. The “assessor” would be able to visit within about two hours and look at it on his way to his next job.

I agreed and the guy duly turned up. I explained how it all went together with the sides of the windscreen covered by those fibreglass “spats” (for want of a better word). He said it all looked fine and installed it the next afternoon without a problem. He even supplied the top & bottom capping trim which looked brilliant. It was just some flattish generic trim that came off a roll in his van!

So, I think what happens is that the vast majority of installers are likely independent contractors and perhaps many of them aren’t prepared to take the risk on something unknown when they can install Toyota windscreens all day long and avoid the hassle.

Anyway, Glenn, the car looks great.
Somehow they always look much more complete with the windscreen in.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1034 on: Thursday,August 01, 2019, 03:58:09 AM »
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the complements and your following of my two year journey. The New Hope Auto Show is August 11th. I’m down to the wire on getting  2358R done. The work I get done this coming weekend will be a good indication if that is possible.