Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168588 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1005 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
The temperature finally dropped along with the humidity here in the North East. At least its "more comfortable" to work in the garage and I was waiting for this to happen to start the dash install and other behind the dash and under the dash installations.

So the progress today started with the vent installation on top of the "crash pad" and then the heater box hoses, then the hand brake and the steering wheel "crash bar". Installed the dash, screwed in all the dash Phillips head bolts and bolted in the steering column bracket under the dash. Installed the dash trim and bolted & screwed it in. Installed the fresh air hoses under the dash.

Removed the radiator fan blade from the housing and reversed it so it is now a pusher fan instead of a puller. Figured out how to install the fan assembly to the radiator and bolted it in.

Tomorrow is running the wiring harness along with some extra wire from the engine bay to the dash for who knows what I decide to install at some point in time.  And maybe the next day to test all the circuits out. And it won't surprise me if I pull the dash out at least one more time to make some connection I can't do from underneath......

Also need to install the steering column u-joint which will require that I remove the steering rack to bolt in the u-joint and then bolt in the column supports.

Scheduled the glass installer for Wednesday giving them fair warning to bring the right adhesive for direct glue to fiberglass. I'm making a brace for the inside top of the roof to the chassis tunnel to keep it straight while the adhesive sets up. 

« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 05:39:13 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1006 on: Wednesday,July 24, 2019, 07:22:36 PM »
Congratulations on your progress! Congratulations, too, on finding a windshield installer to install your windshield! I called probably two dozen windshield installers before I found one who would do it.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #1007 on: Thursday,July 25, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »
glen, not nit-picking (honest), but shouldn't the shifter ball be the same color/shade to match that beautiful dashboard?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #1008 on: Thursday,July 25, 2019, 12:06:04 PM »
glen, not nit-picking (honest), but shouldn't the shifter ball be the same color/shade to match that beautiful dashboard?

Amazing the difference in names.

We on the other side of the pond, where manual transmission is more normal, would call that a gear stick knob or gear knob.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1009 on: Thursday,July 25, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »

I wish Prestige Autowood, who made my dash, made matching shift knob (regardless of the name!  ;D )

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1010 on: Thursday,July 25, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
Congratulations on your progress! Congratulations, too, on finding a windshield installer to install your windshield! I called probably two dozen windshield installers before I found one who would do it.

BDA, the first auto glass installer I called said yes. I even challenged them regarding the requirements for the installation and made them call the manufacturer of the adhesive they use to confirm direct glue to fiberglass was approved. They called me back and reconfirmed.  The area I live in is near Trenton NJ where there are lots of shops that cater to specialized automotive builds.  I've got machine shops, metal fabrication shops, custom exhaust shops, automotive interior shops,  powder coating shop (just one) and plating shops. Lots of paint shops but only a couple will do fiberglass and most have 2 year wait lists. Never the less, lots of access to the specialization I need when I need it.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1011 on: Thursday,July 25, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »

Ted, you of all people (you know me well) shouldn't even have to ask. Of course I have a shift knob that matches......

But to be honest I have been purposely leaving a few things unrestored as homage the original car and the guys who originally built this car.  Every once in a while you will find an original bolt or metal bracket that wasn't refinished.  I even purposely have a part of the body that wasn't re-sprayed just to show the original paint (you can't even tell as the color match is that close).

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1012 on: Thursday,July 25, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
Small progress today. As usual everything takes time and I am typically careful and thoughtful on what I am doing.

Installed the weber carb throttle cable linkage on the carbs.  This is designed by weber and I had one left over from my Elan S1 rebuild that didn't fit because the profile was too high. The Europa is another story as there are no issues with clearance to the engine deck lid.

Then I installed the steering column bolting it to the metal bracket dash support and making sure the crash bracket was attached too. Then the bracket for the ignition switch. Everything was installed and bolted in laying flat of my back on the drivers side floor.  You can't do this with the seats in.

Laying out the wiring harness was next.  Separated the rear part of the harness from the pile of wire on the floor and routed the wiring through the opening in the firewall. Then I took the front part of the harness and taped it up with painters tape to protect the various connectors that come out of the harness as I was going to feed it through the small opening between the body to the front boot of the car. Used a coat hanger to pull the harness through and then removed all the tape. Started connecting leads to the various devices in the boot.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1013 on: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »
I must have cursed myself putting the license plate on the car before it was ready for a road test. Let me explain.......I came across a set of 4 stainless steel license plate bolts in one of my many parts bins and decided I would put them with the plates so when I was ready to put them on I would have everything in the same area. Open the drawer where the license plates are (I have several, don't ask) I decided what the heck, just put the rear plate on now.  Which is what did. BAM. Almost everything that happened the rest of the evening went badly.

Installed the rear chrome tail pipe to make sure the clearance was right and I liked the location. Looks great (in my opinion).

Then went about the task of unbolting the front steering rack and the steering column in order to install the u-joint that attaches the steering column to the rack. Disassembly went easily.  For those of you that haven't done this yet,  you need to attach the u-joint to the end of the steering column and then lower it into place in front of the steering rack that has been removed from its brackets that hold it to the chassis.  There is just enough room to insert and tighten the bolt on the rack side. Once that is done you can push the entire rack assembly back onto the brackets.

Now comes the hard part.  The only place to access the top bolts on the two brackets to install lock nuts is through the access hole in the front box of the chassis.  This sounds easy but you are encumbered by the steering rack, water cooling hose and sway bar.  All in the way of getting inside the hole on the chassis to fit a small wrench to hold the lock nut in place to tighten the bolt on the bracket. To make matter worse, the location of the nut is right above another piece of metal inside the box which means you can only get a wrench on the nut at a weird angle. None of which can be accomplished because you cant get your hand into the opening. 

I wont bore you with all the details but just know that I finally quit at 2am and 3 beers and STILL did not have everything installed.  The secret of getting the lock nuts in place was to use an odd surgical tool (I have a box of them from the flea market, they always come in handy) to hold the nut and get it threaded (blindly and only by feel).  Then you can just barely get a small open end wrench in the hole to hold the nut while using a socket wrench on the outside of the bracket to tighten.

The highlite of the evening was getting my lovely wife to hold the steering column while I lined up the u-joint at the rack location. She says when she completed her task "it doesn't look like you have gotten very far since the last time I was out here.  You're not going to get this done in two weeks.........  Thanks dear. Double curse.

Later that morning (10am) I finished the steering rack & Column installation and started back on the wiring.  I made a new harness of 4 wires to run from the engine bay to the dash for future needs.  The electronic tach needs a wire and the electric fuel pump needs a switch plus I'm sure Ill need something else later down the road. Easy to do it now and run with the rest of the harness under the carpeting.

Before I quit at the end of the day (had friends coming over for dinner) I made a template for the heat shield I was making for the bottom of the rear engine bay storage box (I had already cleaned off the grease and grime from the bottom of the fiberglass box). The OEM metal plate was all rusty and the asbestos cloth was a bit ratty so I decided to remove and use fiberglass heat shield instead. The template went quickly so I cut out the heat shield and installed on the bottom of the box. I will trim with silver heat tape to insure it doesn't peel off at some point down the road.
« Last Edit: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 09:36:30 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1014 on: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
Nice pictures, Certified! Give my regards to your beautiful assistant.

I sympathize with the the difficulty in attaching the steering column to the rack with the stock frame. I would advise anyone in the market for a frame to make sure the frame they get has enhanced access in that area. If they are restoring their frame, adding better access there would be a good objective of the restoration. Most people haven't had to take their rack off and on as many times as I have (but then most people are smarter than I) and the easy access in that area in my early Spyder frame made it a pretty simple one-man task.

Good luck with the rest of your restoration. I'm keeping my fingers crossed you'll be able to take it to the LOG.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #1015 on: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
G’day Certified,

You installed the alloy rack brackets with the nuts on the inside?
Agreed, the access is nearly impossible.

I made up a 16 gauge plate and zapped the bolt heads to it somewhat like this (stolen) pic except using two bolts.
Install this plate inside the chassis and Bob’s your aunty’s live in lover.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1016 on: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »
 Thanks Glen, you and GalvinT just reminded me to insert the hyloc’s in the the 5510 plates I made up awhile back. Now I have my one thing to do that doesn’t require finding pieces. I even pulled out the column and went Thru your pain.

I had to laugh at the picture of you BA sitting on the door for jamb. It really triggered how small these cars are.  I know the double thing, it looks to me you can make it. Don’t rush it ! It’s to close to being finished. BTW, what is the break-in on your engine or did they do that at the shop?

We’re here for you but just as cheerleaders, it all is you, your BA and friends.
Hope you meet your goal.
Dave

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1017 on: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 09:16:51 PM »
Thanks for the moral support BDA, GavinT, and Dakazman.  Yes. my assistant is rather cute and I always welcome her in the garage  :pirate:  No fear, I am focused on always doing the right level of work irrespective of the time line. Remember, I'm a track guy so shortcuts equal serious injury. I don't do shortcut's.  The car is either built to my standards or it doesn't go on the road.

GavinT. your smarter than I am. Nice solution !

Dakazman, the engine was broken in on the dyno at Quicksilver racing.  I always have them do that as it makes for a more fun start of my road trips.  :trophy:
« Last Edit: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 09:50:53 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1018 on: Sunday,July 28, 2019, 09:49:34 PM »
Another hot day in NJ.  I worked on the Europa in the morning and the late afternoon into the evening. Some fabrication on certain parts was needed (what else is new) and I had to visit a friends garage to make some of the parts which of course delayed the completion of today's list of projects to get done.
Here is what was accomplished today:

I'm not installing the stock steering wheel. This wheel was on my '64 Elan S1 when I bought it  (I changed to a 26R steering wheel) and I thought it complemented the Europa very well.

Then I installed the air horns in the front boot (The puny electric horn was not loud enough).

Made the brake line from the master cylinder to the rear balancing valve. It’s the longest brake line in the car and has a couple of bends to locate properly. Plus I needed to get it installed before I bolted in the closing plate. I find it odd that the brake line runs along the bottom of the chassis exposed to the road. Was thinking about relocating it inside the chassis, but that means adding some type of clamp every 2 ft so it doesn’t vibrate and it was just too much work to even consider.

One of the "custom" things I do to brake lines is to add clear vinyl hose to any brake/fuel line where it is clamped to prevent chaffing.  Just count the number of clamps that will be used, cut the number pieces of clear hose to be used and slide them on the hose before adding the fittings. And then I wrap SS wire to hold the vinyl hose in place at the clamping points.

The installation of the closing plate had its own challenges. Two of the threaded bolts that hold the plate in place had snapped off (PO did this). Of course I was going to try and save the day by drilling out the bolts and re-threading them. Good idea but not reality. I drilled out the bolts and then used a bolt extractor which ended up breaking inside the bolt. Great, now I have hardened steel extractor that wont drill out easily.  Spent a couple of hours grinding out the extractor with a Dremel tool, then re-drilling and using a tap to thread the opening.
« Last Edit: Monday,July 29, 2019, 05:10:02 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #1019 on: Monday,July 29, 2019, 04:32:43 AM »
four (4) pictures of the broken bolt extractor??   are you making a point, or just very tired?  ;D
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook