Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168601 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #990 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 03:53:10 AM »
 Hey Glen,
 It can’t be said enough, your car is definitely picture perfect. Keep moving forward and I hope you make it to LOG.
Dave

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #991 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 05:08:34 AM »
Thanks Dave! I’m off to pick up my left side door and front splitter this morning. When I get back I’m going to install the custom air filter installation and my custom exhaust bracket. Both will take some work to get the way I want it but will all be worth it.
« Last Edit: Monday,July 22, 2019, 02:50:04 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #992 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 06:21:23 AM »
I look forward to seeing your air box intake system with great interest, since another thread informs me my foam air filter is one backfire away from total immolation. (Sorry about opening a can of worms with my impact switch comment.)  ::)
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline GavinT

« Reply #993 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »
I see Certified deleted his post. Just so he knows, I don't think that was warranted.

Agreed, I also think Certified should have left the post. It was fine.

I’d like to think we’re all mature enough to accept peoples’ different perspectives and hope I didn’t contribute to some self censoring by Certified because that was never my intention.
As I say, it’s all good with me.

Cheers,
Gavin

Offline GavinT

« Reply #994 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 07:24:08 AM »
GavinT… you're killing me with those acronyms and texting shorts....

Point taken Ted, I’ve lapsed into a world of TLA’s and some of them have four.  :FUNNY:
BTW (by the way) “Us older guys” includes me having turned 70 last April.  :beerchug:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #995 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 07:29:00 AM »
Never apologize for an opinion, factual error, sure.  For years MGBs, and others, had an ignition feed fuel pump with no roll-over switch.  Lots of fun was had and few lives were lost.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #996 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 04:07:20 PM »
Never apologize for an opinion, factual error, sure.  For years MGBs, and others, had an ignition feed fuel pump with no roll-over switch.  Lots of fun was had and few lives were lost.

No worries JB, Gavin and Surf, just decided not to get overly engaged in the subject matter.
« Last Edit: Monday,July 22, 2019, 02:44:59 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #997 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »
Brutal day today. It was 96 degrees F inside the garage.  I had my big fan running at high speed all afternoon which kept some of the humidity down, but the temp never went down.

Never the less, I had a lot to do and a list of what I wanted to get done. So I hydrated like crazy and ignored the fact that I was soaking wet all day.

Went to Dave Hoffman's body shop as planned this morning and picked up my door and front splitter.  All went well and I was back by 11:30 this morning to get to work on my list. Installed the front splitter right away as it was easy and got it out of the way in my shop.

Focused on the custom bracket I had made for the exhaust hanger at the end of the transaxle. I need to drill the four holes (two for the transaxle mount and two for the U-clamp) make a few custom grinds, media blast everything and paint with high temp silver paint and then let cure (I painted in the basement as it was too humid outside for anything to dry).

While the paint was curing I then set about measuring for the location of the K&N airfilter bracket and filter. RD Ent. makes a very neat airfilter bracket that is low profile and simple. I bought one to use for this installation. Once I figured out the right location for the airfilter (the angle is important to connect to the airbox and the airfilter must be above the bottom of the pan of the body) I marked the holes to drill, installed stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers and bolted the bracket in. As the "firewall" is a bit flimsy, I made sure that I used large SS washers and a custom plate on the interior to provide the right support.  Everything went according to plan with the only small issue being one of the fuel lines was in the way.  I made a new one and routed it accordingly.

One major note; I reinforced the inside of the filter with a schedule 40 PVC adapter and used a 3" rubber gasket and hose clamp to attached the filter to the bracket.  That made it a lot more stable and you could really tighten the hose clamp down without distorting the rubber on the filter.

I went back to installing the exhaust system bracket and bolted everything in to the transaxle. It is solid and looks good. My only concern is the silencer (Muffler) is too close to the chassis at one end. Will need to do some fine tune adjustment.

Installed the front radiator hoses and clamps.  I tried to installed the supplied electric fan that came with the radiator, but it won’t bolt up to any holes on the fan shroud.  I'm tired and sweaty and just drained. Will figure that out on another day.

Had a beer and admired my work before heading to the shower. 
« Last Edit: Monday,July 22, 2019, 02:36:10 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #998 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 06:04:19 PM »
96 degrees?   for that million dollar home you don't have AC routed out there????  :)    you have a window, you should put a window unit in even on a temporary basis....
seems I hate working in the garage in extreme heat and extreme cold, so Spring and Fall are my preferred working times out there, unless, like you, i'm under the gun to get something accomplished!   and you are a man on a mission!!!

With the air intake so low, do you have any concern about water splashing up from tires in a rain storm?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #999 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 06:42:25 PM »
I don’t drive in the rain  :FUNNY:

Seriously, I’m installing a NACA duct just below that will direct air to the area but not right on the filter.

Ted, my garage is 1000 sq ft. It would take a very large window AC to cool it down sufficiently. I usually don’t work in the garage when the temp is this high but I want to get my car done to drive to LOG so i’m working in the heat. Not the end of the world, just a little uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: Monday,July 22, 2019, 02:41:02 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #1000 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 06:52:44 PM »
One would think that coming from New Orleans that I would be somewhat resistant or at least not be so wimpy with regard to the heat but I have to hand it to Certified and the D'man for working in the heat we on the east coast and the gulf coast have been experiencing. That's dedication!

I second Ted's suggestion. A 1200 BTU window unit wouldn't reduce the temps to the 70s but it will cut the humidity by a lot. It is a very good investment!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1001 on: Monday,July 22, 2019, 02:43:57 AM »
BDA, our house is for sale (we are moving to a state with lower taxes and downsizing) so buying anything for the house is not money well spent. I can handle the heat for a week or too......maybe.

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #1002 on: Monday,July 22, 2019, 06:02:26 AM »
I made a cold air inlet for my tcs.  It has been in service for nearly a year.  I have not needed to clean the filter yet.  http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2658.msg25750#msg25750
So, as much discussion as there has been about road dirt with a low mounted air filter, it doesn’t seem to be a problem.  I don’t drive in the rain though, at least not intentionally.

Offline BDA

« Reply #1003 on: Monday,July 22, 2019, 06:31:18 AM »
BDA, our house is for sale (we are moving to a state with lower taxes and downsizing) so buying anything for the house is not money well spent. I can handle the heat for a week or too......maybe.

I hear you and good luck! Where are you moving?

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1004 on: Monday,July 22, 2019, 07:00:52 AM »
I can handle the heat for a week or too......maybe.

We had some friends drop by unexpectedly yesterday. "What brings you to town?" I said.
"The radio says we need to check up on the elderly during the heat wave. So, how are you guys?" They said.  :FUNNY:
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery