Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168589 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #975 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »
Good idea using the rubber vibration damper. Wish I had done that on mine. It's rather loud just before engaging the starter, but at least I know it's working. I can't hear it with the engine running.

Are you going to install a rollover/impact cut-off switch? I had no plans to install one but our more knowledgeable forum members shamed me into it, and now I'm glad I have it.

My only criticism would be that if your fuel line/filter/pump connection leaks it will pool in the fiberglass shell. I but my pump in the "C" section of the metal frame just below where you mounted yours. That way if it leaks it will drip off the metal to the ground.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #976 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 08:53:35 AM »
I'm interested in how your cold air mod goes! I'm considering doing that too.

I mounted my fuel pump where surf mounted his, but not for his reason, which is a good one,  but to mount the pump as low as I could. One filter is enough but I put a filter after each tank. Just a thought...

A funny story about electric fuel pump noise: back when I was in college, a buddy had an Alfa Spider, which is fuel injected. His fuel pump went out and because he couldn't afford an Alfa pump, he got the highest pressure fuel pump he could find, I think it was a Moro but it only generated about half the pressure that the Alfa pump did. It worked fine for him but it was a lot louder than the Alfa pump. In fact you could still hear it up to about 3000 rpm!

Offline GavinT

« Reply #977 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
Facet Fuel Pump Mounting Bracket Bobbins. (plenty of generic ones around, also)

https://www.hxfzzxshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=532563

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #978 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 11:22:01 AM »
No roll over/impact switch. Just an off switch in the cockpit (I know, I’m going to get lots of comments on this. Just remember, this is an old car with almost no safety features what so ever. If you get hit those two fuel tanks one of the biggest things you need to worry about. Shutting off the fuel pump may be the least of your worries. Most people who realize their car is on fire don’t realize it’s been burning for a while. In a fiberglass car you only have seconds to get out. An impact switch won’t save you).

The location of the electric fuel pump was a major consideration. I spent a week thinking about it. My collective thoughts were: 1) put all the fuel related equipment on one side of the car (carbs, fuel line, fuel pump and one fuel tank. Nothing I can do about the second tank. 2) mount the pump to the chassis, not fiberglass. 3) install as low as possible but away from as much weather and road related material as possible 4) locate in a place where I could regularly maintain/observe it.

My consideration and rational for the air filter location is strictly arm chair engineering. No idea if I’m on the right track, but I think so.

Online Pfreen

« Reply #979 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Certified.  Where did you buy the fuel pump?  I bought a pump that looked like yours on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNIVERSAL-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-GAS-DIESEL-MARINE-CARBURETED-E8016S/281596075987?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Although cheap $11.88, it leaked and I through it away.  So, just be sure to check for leaks for a while after you get on the road.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #980 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 12:36:36 PM »
Bought my fuel pump from RD. This is the third one I have bought from them. Never had any problems.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #981 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
I hear you... but, putting a roll over switch is so simple and easy it doesn't make sense not to.  Regardless, to each their own.  Just warn me if I ever am about to be a passenger in your car ;-)

PS: Fuel tanks leak down and away while fuel pumps spray.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #982 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 07:39:43 PM »
Small progress today.  The heat and humidity is draining. Never the less, gotta keep moving forward. I was able to get my helper extraordinaire out in the garage to hold a socket wrench while I was under the car tightening a bolt that was difficult to reach.  She always thinks everything is this easy and why is it taking me so long........ :confused:

Finally got the Odyssesy battery bracket bolted in (thanks to my helper) and the Odyssesy battery installed.  The Morosso oil catch can arrived so I installed that and made all the connections on the SS hose.  I replaced a number of OEM bolts that had seen their day with grade 8 lock nuts, washers and bolts.  Boring stuff that I photographed but am not bothering to show the forum.

I've got a PALS Lotus Garage Tour event to go to tomorrow (taking one of my Elan's) and then a car show later in Doylestown (if I can survive the heat all day).  Sunday morning I'm picking up my left door and front splitter from Dave's shop.  Will hopefully get a couple of hours in on Sunday afternoon as I would like to get the airfilter installation done.

Tick tock.  Three weeks left to complete my rebuild and then road test for a week before driving to LOG.  Getting close and a lot to do.
« Last Edit: Monday,July 22, 2019, 02:50:53 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #983 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 07:42:34 PM »
In a fiberglass car you only have seconds to get out. An impact switch won’t save you).

Back in the 70’s my younger brother bought an MGA. It was a near finished restoration and came in grey primer. He and my mate spent two days trying to get the engine running. The car also came with a second set of carbs & manifold, so they changed them over to see if it made a difference.

The car fired up and they decided to take it around the block for a test.
About a mile from home, he lost control and the car ended up on it’s side, jammed behind a power pole in a cutting.

My brother couldn’t move. My mate heard the fuel pump ticking and figured the best thing to do was to drag my brother from the car before something happened.

It turned out that my brother had broken his spine.
After three months in the spinal unit, he walked . . flat footed and on crutches, but he walked.
He still walks flat footed but otherwise, normally (no crutches). He needs to take daily medication for things like UTI’s but he’s also fathered five kids that the doctors said he’d never be able to.

So, yeah . . it’s common to hear YMMV and that’s still true. This is just one data point.

Offline BDA

« Reply #984 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
We don't normally appreciate the possibility of danger in what are normally mundane situations. Unfortunately, your brother was bitten by an unlikely circumstance. Thankfully he was able to recover far beyond his doctors's expectations.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #985 on: Saturday,July 20, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »
All good, BDA (and Certified)

I guess we’re all influenced by events.
The worst aspect of spinal injuries is that there’s (or was) no real way of determining the extent of the damage. At the time, the treatment for all cases was to remain flat on your back for three months and wait.
At the conclusion of three months, the nurses come around, sit you on the side of the bed for ten minutes and then . . see if you can stand.

As it turned out, my brother was 2nd best off out of the whole ward. He was very lucky.
Anyway, apologies for the OT.

Cheers, chaps.

Offline BDA

« Reply #986 on: Saturday,July 20, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »
I see Certified deleted his post. Just so he knows, I don't think that was warranted. We drive these cars in spite of their inherent safety deficiencies. We can add all the fuel pump relays, fire extinguishers, and cut off switches we want and they won't help a bit in a T-bone situation. My first rule of Europas is, "if you can't be seen you must be heard", but there is probably no horn loud enough to reach a tractor trailer driver with his window up, A/C and radio on. So we all take risks and we have a few choices about which risks we will take but not that many and it's up to each of us which how we evaluate those risks. Driving a Europa is a lesson in defensive driving. If we were REALLY risk averse, we would all drive Cadillac Escalades.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #987 on: Saturday,July 20, 2019, 06:06:12 PM »
GavinT… you're killing me with those acronyms and texting shorts....
what is YMMV?   my official "Texting Dictionary of Acronyms" 3rd edition has it as "your mileage may vary", but I don't think that's what you inferred.   Then later you wrote OT?  if I recall....oh i'm sorry, let me state that better.....IIRC  :)    I haven't the foggiest what you meant to say.....Us older guys who aren't tech or text savvy have no clue!   :FUNNY:

Glen, I've been away as you know on vacation and just tonight caught up on the several pages of your rebuild story....you've been a busy boy even when I brought all the heat back with me from the south west!!!    LOG here we come!!!    :pirate:

Darn, missed the garage event in Stockton....hopefully well attended?   i hosted a 92nd B-day party for my dad today, so couldn't make it.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #988 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 03:07:46 AM »
I see Certified deleted his post. Just so he knows, I don't think that was warranted. We drive these cars in spite of their inherent safety deficiencies. We can add all the fuel pump relays, fire extinguishers, and cut off switches we want and they won't help a bit in a T-bone situation. My first rule of Europas is, "if you can't be seen you must be heard", but there is probably no horn loud enough to reach a tractor trailer driver with his window up, A/C and radio on. So we all take risks and we have a few choices about which risks we will take but not that many and it's up to each of us which how we evaluate those risks. Driving a Europa is a lesson in defensive driving. If we were REALLY risk averse, we would all drive Cadillac Escalades.

BDA, I wrote a lengthy comment on racing and manual fuel pump cut off switches and other aspects of driving cars with almost no safety features. After posting and rereading I thought why bother and deleted it. There are millions of cars on the road without roll over/impact fuel cut off switches. I figured if I didn’t continue to comment the discussion would just go away.

Back to my rebuild!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #989 on: Sunday,July 21, 2019, 03:11:57 AM »
Ted, welcome back from your cross country trip. Want to hear all about it. Yes, I’ve been focused on completing my Europa while you were gone. I still believe I’ll have it done for LOG and our road trip.

The PALS Garage Tour event at Darby’s was very nice and well attended. Karl has a great workshop and three very cool brass cars from 1915 era (plus a couple of Lotus’).

I ended up skipping the Doylestown car show later in the afternoon. I had preregistered and arrived at the staging area exactly at the required time. 45 minutes later there was very little movement of hundreds of cars to the downtown area and I was roasting on an open parking lot in 90+ degree weather. I just left. The idea of spending five hours in the sun and heat became reality and went home. My wife and I had a nice dinner together in an air conditioned restaurant.
« Last Edit: Monday,July 22, 2019, 02:59:00 AM by Certified Lotus »