Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168597 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #960 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 08:17:50 AM »
Might I suggest mounting the back of the silencer (muffler) as I have done.  No welding involved, just a bracket picking up on the transmission isolation mount hardware and a generic exhaust pipe clamp.  I realise you have a 352 transmission just as my Europa was originally equipped but now updated with a 365.  It should make little or no difference.  Just a thought.

Gerry     

Gerry, I have looked everywhere for that bracket (pep boys, autozone, Napa, two custom exhaust shops in my area) and haven’t found anything even close. Where did you get the bracket? I may have to custom make one, but if they are readily accessible that would be preferred.

Offline 2766R

« Reply #961 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 08:41:45 AM »
Sorry, should have mentioned that the bracket was fabricated.   Just some sheet metal bent and drilled to suit. Suggest starting with a cardboard pattern.  I wish I had documented to pass along.   Your restoration and documentation is a lesson to the rest of us!

Gerry

Offline BDA

« Reply #962 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
I second Gerry's comment. Here's a picture of a bracket I made using my usual chisel and file method. There might have been an easier way to do it but I was copying one made for me. A cardboard pattern makes it a lot easier. I don't have any fancy tools like brakes or shears. I probably cut it with a combination of hacksaws, snips, and dremel cutoff wheel. Since I don't have a sheet metal brake, I just used my vice clamping the piece between two pieces of wood and used another piece of wood and hammer to make the bend. It's made of .060" stainless. I also made a few shims for final adjustments.

Online dakazman

« Reply #963 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 07:10:02 PM »
That’s a good design, however it may be to rigid. A piece of tire thread between the clamp and bracket or a joint in the mounting to the gearbox may help if it starts to crack.  I don’t know how much The engine and gearbox twist and bends so it’s just my opinion. Trust me I almost deleted this opinion piece but failure , down the road , may damage a lot more. keep an eye on it
  2766R mount is under and beefier but where can it flex ?
Dakazman

« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 07:15:50 PM by dakazman »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #964 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »
The exhaust/engine/transmission are one unit.  Mounting it solid to the transmission reduces vibrations.  Rubber mounting would allow it to vibrate.

Now, if you were mounting it to the chassis, the reverse would be true.

Offline BDA

« Reply #965 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 07:30:26 PM »
Thanks D'man but keep in mind that the exhaust, tranny and engine are a single unit with regard to movement and vibration. It's really not that much different from the stock situation http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/s/tcsa.pdf. I have a similar mount at the front of the muffler.

Online dakazman

« Reply #966 on: Wednesday,July 17, 2019, 07:57:33 PM »
Oops, BDA your design was to the gearbox and it is isolated from the frame. 2144r s looks like it comes from the frame to the isolated engine/gearbox. That’s the one that may crack or cause vibration.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #967 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 02:01:01 AM »
I slept on this overnight and came to the same conclusion, the stabilizing bracket for the silencer (muffler) needs to be attached to the transaxle so the entire exhaust system, engine and transaxle are one unit that is then mounted with rubber mounted brackets to the chassis. Just the way Lotus originally designed it and some of you have stated.

So BDA’s designed bracket is preferred, 2766R’s designed would need a rubber isolator.

Appreciate all the thoughts and feedback. Really helps. One more unexpected custom job on a very long list.
« Last Edit: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 02:27:31 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #968 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 05:39:44 AM »
Here's a picture of a bracket I made . . . It's made of .060" stainless.

Actually, I reckon that's a very good design. Colin would give it the nod.
Well done that man.

Offline 2766R

« Reply #969 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »
I slept on this overnight and came to the same conclusion, the stabilizing bracket for the silencer (muffler) needs to be attached to the transaxle so the entire exhaust system, engine and transaxle are one unit that is then mounted with rubber mounted brackets to the chassis. Just the way Lotus originally designed it and some of you have stated.

So BDA’s designed bracket is preferred, 2766R’s designed would need a rubber isolator.

Appreciate all the thoughts and feedback. Really helps. One more unexpected custom job on a very long list.

Just to clarify, my bracket picks up on the (2) bolts securing the isolator to the transmission cross bracket and so is in unit with the transmission/engine.  It is in fact isolated from the chassis.   I’ll post a better photo when I get a chance.  The header/silencer is a Dave Bean system originally installed in the early ‘80s.  I believe the rear of my silencer is further aft than BDA’s.  Truth be told, BDA’s bracket is more elegant.

Gerry

Offline BDA

« Reply #970 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about my muffler mount. I can't take credit for the design, the guy who helped me (A LOT) with the fabrication on my car did the original one. I just copied the design so credit goes to him (Thank you, Norm!)!

I should say that I forgot to add files to my list of tools and a uni-bit. It worked better than the carbide drill bits I have.

A funny thing, Gerry. I got my muffler from Dave Bean too. Its position is probably due to the exhaust from the headers to the front of the muffler. I tried to get a stainless steel one of the same size but I couldn't find one.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #971 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »
The Rube Goldberg method...

No muffler, just a flexible pipe (Pep Boys) into a rear resonator.

Offline BDA

« Reply #972 on: Thursday,July 18, 2019, 10:12:14 AM »
Lou, is that as loud as I suspect?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #973 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 06:47:35 AM »
Thanks again for everyone's input on the exhaust bracket.  I made a template for my installation and brought it to my metal fabricator this morning. The local sheet metal shop can't get to it for weeks and I don't have a band saw or a sheet metal brake to make it myself (although my compliments to the guys who made this bracket themselves).  I have a mountain of work to do on the car so I am having it done by someone else while I work on other parts of the car.

I have included a copy of the pattern in case anyone wants to copy.  Will drill the holes once I get the bracket back. I am using the OEM threaded bolt bracket location on the transaxle to attach to the trans.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #974 on: Friday,July 19, 2019, 07:24:35 AM »
Finishing up the electric fuel pump location and installation.  Also installed the rear luggage tray to make sure everything I'm installing doesn't interfere with the location of this "box". Made blue tape markings to remind me of the depth into the engine bay and I still have an oil catch can and ignition coil to install on the side wall of the engine bay.

For the electric fuel pump, I cut a piece of rubber to wrap the fuel pump before attaching to the mounting bracket and also cut a 1/4" piece of rubber to install between the mounting bracket and the chassis location so the vibration of the pump does have any harmonic vibration through the car.

I measured and designed the air filter installation inside the body forward of the right fuel tank location. Will install a NACA Duct at the open bottom pan area to force air into this location. If I read everything correctly about the engine bay of a TC Europa, there should be enough negative pressure in this area to allow for air to easily flow upward and out the vents in the rear engine deck lid. This area looks to be the coolest (as in air temperature) location of any other area of the engine bay as it is before the exhaust system and away from the general engine bay heat load.
« Last Edit: Friday,July 19, 2019, 07:29:14 AM by Certified Lotus »