Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168583 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #930 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 11:35:13 AM »

Does the key in ignition buzzer have anything to do with the second driver's door switch?
[/quote]

Yes , It prevents you from leaving your keys in your he car and goes off when you open th door to get out .
Dakazman

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #931 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »

Does the key in ignition buzzer have anything to do with the second driver's door switch?

Yes , It prevents you from leaving your keys in your he car and goes off when you open th door to get out .
Dakazman
[/quote]
As my front door key is on the same ring as the car key of whatever car I am driving, I cannot get into my house unless I take the key out of the car. Very simple, very effective.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #932 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »
All this about a door switch? How about my video of my beautiful TC engine on the Dyno........
 :FUNNY:

Offline BDA

« Reply #933 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 02:28:47 PM »
I liked it, Certified! I forgot how much hp and torque it made...

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #934 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
All this about a door switch? How about my video of my beautiful TC engine on the Dyno........
 :FUNNY:

Based on my recent internet experience, stupidity (redundant government mandated door switches and annoying buzzers) will get more airplay than beauty (your mill on a dyno purring nicely). Such is the world we live in today.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #935 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »

147HP & 124ft lbs torque at the crank.  Street tune with 93 octane gas.

Offline BDA

« Reply #936 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 05:44:49 PM »
That should work! Can't wait for it to get on the street!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #937 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 05:54:31 PM »
Got to spend most of the day in the garage today. But the focus was on my two Lotus Elan's as they have been waiting for the lift. Got all the maintenance done on both of them and moved the Europa back to the lift.

Today was the first day the Europa was outside with the chassis and body mated. Slowly acclimating to being back outdoors so when I drive with my foot in it, it wont be such a surprise.........

Painted a few parts black and installed the swirl pot.  Not a big day for getting major things done, but every day something gets done. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #938 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 06:01:56 PM »
Another step in your journey...

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #939 on: Tuesday,July 09, 2019, 10:11:29 PM »
Hi Certified!

What a beautiful car! :lotus:

Mark

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #940 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 04:39:49 AM »

147HP & 124ft lbs torque at the crank.  Street tune with 93 octane gas.

Remind me what you did to get to 147 HP. (I'm sure it is somewhere in the 67 pages of this thread, but I can't put my finger on it.) You have the header. Webbers. Is that a QED or other aftermarket ported head? Larger bore? Hotter cams?

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #941 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 05:04:04 AM »
Thanks for the complements! It’s slowly getting to the stage that has hope for completion.

Surf, the head is an original Lotus TC aluminum head with larger valves. Custom pistons, Cams, and slightly larger bore. I’m more interested in a good torque range than higher HP as it’s a street car. And I don’t wind these engines out much past 5000 RPM so the stock crank is fine.

This is the second TC engine Quicksilver Racing built for me. The first one (which is in my Elan S1) is the same build but with a Dave Bean cartridge water pump (I didn’t install one in this engine as you can’t get the pump out anyway with the firewall so close). Trust me, you really don’t need more than 150HP in these cars. Plus I want a “bullet proof” engine. The higher HP engines are a bit more temperamental and require a lot more money to build.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #942 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 06:03:48 AM »
You would be correct GavinT. Pozidrive. I’m still wondering who made these......

Curious isn’t it.
As far as I know, only the door striker plates and those courtesy light switches are Pozidriv on the whole car while there’s plenty of Phillips stuff everywhere else.

I did a little Googling and found that Pozidriv (with no "e" being the correct spelling, apparently) was patented by GKN in 1962.
We know that Colin had a good relationship with GKN, so perhaps that explains these oddities and also his relatively early adoption of the standard.

Probably also explains why my PO mangled my door striker plate screws.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 06:25:50 AM by GavinT »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #943 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »
This car is my fourth Lotus restoration (I'm not counting my Exige race cars or the Lotus kart I built or the electric scale model Lotus Formula one cars) and one thing I have learned along the way is to make progress every day, no matter how small.  It may mean sorting through parts and organizing or painting something small and letting it dry for a few days or creating a parts list of things to order or for the fanatic like me, electroplating parts while having a beer or two. No matter what, every hour gets you closer to finishing.....even if it takes years.

So this evening I did a few small things.

Cut a piece of fiberglass heat shield to attach to the battery metal heat shield and installed.  Remember, when handling this stuff to wear gloves!  Otherwise you end up with thousands of tiny pieces of fiberglass in your hands that stays in your skin months before the itching goes away.

Riveted the Lotus emissions plate on the side of the engine bay.

Attached the metal brackets that I painted black the other day to the coil and electric fuel pump while pondering exactly where I will locate both. I always like thinking about these things before I start drilling and bolting.

Ordered my Odyssesy PC925 battery and Taylor coil to distributor 8mm blue wire from summit racing.

That's enough for tonight. Tomorrow is another day.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 05:41:25 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #944 on: Wednesday,July 10, 2019, 06:10:40 PM »
That’s a great way of thinking. Any progress is good. Sometimes it cancels out the 1 step forward, 2 steps back days. Reading and prep is another nightly ritual. Sometimes We have to put down everything and talk nonsense... 🤬🥴
  What is that bracket for in front of the swirl tank?  Is the harness next ?
Dakazman