Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168589 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #870 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 11:11:41 AM »
Good job on everything, Certified!

I took my squirrel cage fan and wished I hadn't. On mine, the squirrel cage is attached to the motor shaft with a rusty crimped clamp. Not wanting to replace it with a hose clamp, I used a zip-tie. It seems to work so far but I don't think the attachment is as strong as the original. If I had it to do again, if I had a good replacement for the clamp, I would do it. Otherwise, I would just live with the rusty clamp or maybe paint it.

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #871 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 11:12:49 AM »
I'll be interested in how the heater fan disassembly works out as I just removed mine and it seems to have the same issues as yours. Mine has a bit more rust around all the bolts/nuts and I've already cracked the plastic housing slightly trying to remove one of them. In my brief survey of how to disassemble it to get to the fan bearing, it looks like the housing has some kind of rivets holding it together.

Good luck and take lots of photos.

Larry
Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #872 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 04:33:43 PM »
Thanks for the continued motivation guys. You have me rethinking the disassembly of the fan. Will sleep on it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #873 on: Tuesday,June 18, 2019, 06:29:32 PM »
I should note that my squirrel cage is plastic. Rust on a fan might cause a different calculation. I would look carefully at how the fan is attached to the shaft and proceed accordingly.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #874 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 02:38:51 AM »
Glen...I am available Thursday's thru Saturdays, let me know. I figure about a 90 min drive to get to your place. ld

Lou, sent you a PM about this Friday.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #875 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 03:27:49 AM »
Glen...I am available Thursday's thru Saturdays, let me know. I figure about a 90 min drive to get to your place. ld

Lou, sent you a PM about this Friday.

PM...Sent, French GP practice at 5am..a bite for breakfast, then the trip to your place. ld

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #876 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 04:38:26 AM »
See you Friday. Have your best rear window installation skills with you  :beerchug:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #877 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 06:44:02 AM »
Good job on everything, Certified!

I took my squirrel cage fan and wished I hadn't. On mine, the squirrel cage is attached to the motor shaft with a rusty crimped clamp. Not wanting to replace it with a hose clamp, I used a zip-tie. It seems to work so far but I don't think the attachment is as strong as the original. If I had it to do again, if I had a good replacement for the clamp, I would do it. Otherwise, I would just live with the rusty clamp or maybe paint it.

Certified the squirrel cage is removed by the nuts holding the motor mounting flange. The danger is the captive studs crack the casing if turned. The squirrel cage I have installed on two units are metal.see magnet.
If you decide to remove I suggest slotting the studs and use a screwdriver to keep it from turning and use a lot of it pb blaster. Liquid wrench. After you get it off the squirrel cage is held on by a nut but...after off needs the fingers slightly prayed open to relieve tension on shaft.
  It’s not difficult to get to but tedious.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 07:02:28 AM by dakazman »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #878 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 02:56:41 PM »
Thanks Dave. Might reconsider taking the fan part now that I see you did it.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #879 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2019, 04:28:02 PM »
 This one is my spare that I picked up, it runs so that’s why it’s rebuilt. I had it disassembled. Trying to figure out a better to assemble without cracking the case.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #880 on: Friday,June 21, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »
Thank goodness for my Lotus friends!  I'll cut to the chase.......the rear window is in! 

First of all many heartfelt thanks to Lou, Ted, Larry and Bruce. Believe it or not it took all five of us to get that damn window installed. And it took 2 1/2 hours before we were done. AND we now know the absolute right way to install this window with the least amount of effort. Everyone had a different take on what we should do and how to do it.  We tried them all. Then......we took the collective suggestions and combined them to come up with the right answer and it worked like a charm.

Dan stopped by after we finished to see what we had done and meet us all personally. He has a 73 TCS and is going to be starting his full restoration soon. Great to meet you Dan.

Here are the steps:

1) Install the rubber molding on the glass
2) Get some nylon string. Enough to wrap around the molding section for the fiberglass opening TWICE and leave long ends overlapped in the middle so you can pull on them. Grease the string with silicon or Vaseline jelly before wrapping the rubber molding.
3) Grease the fiberglass opening to allow for the rubber molding to slide over the edge.
4) Install the window from the inside of the car out. Place the window with rubber molding centered on the opening with two people applying pressure against the glass and molding. SLOWLY pull the edges of the string from the outside so the rubber molding slips over the fiberglass opening (on the outside of the body) while the two people on the inside apply pressure against the window and the molding (its helpful if you can stand in the engine bay when doing this). Have another person (or two) use plastic tools to ensure the molding is pulling over the fiberglass.
5) Work you way around the window pulling the string slowly. If something doesn't fit right, don't worry. You have a second chance as there are two loops of the string (brilliant).
6) Keep pressure downwards on the glass and out wards. Everything needs to be constant and adjust based on what you see and feel.
7) Once the molding is installed, grease the lock strip section of the molding.
8) Using the special lock strip tool is almost a must.  We had two so very lucky the installation of the lock strip went so well. Never the less, you still need to push various areas of the lock strip with plastic tools and fingers to ensure it is fully inserted. It is important to have someone inside the car to apply pressure where ever you are installing the lock strip so you don't PUSH THE WINDOW OUT.
9) Stand back and admire your success. Take a group photo and then take everyone to lunch!

Note, the photo of the string next to the hose clamp is to provide scale of the nylon string.
« Last Edit: Saturday,June 22, 2019, 02:54:49 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #881 on: Friday,June 21, 2019, 04:12:06 PM »
It looks like you all had a big time! Congratulations to all of you! :beerchug: Glad you got that done. That may be the toughest part of a restoration!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #882 on: Friday,June 21, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
I decided to tackle the interior fan motor next after looking at Dave’s photos.  As you know I looked inside and found the squirrel cage rusty and dusty.  After looking closely at the way it was assembled I determined it was bolted together in way that disassembly should be fairly straight forward. It was.  The squirrel cage came off and into the media blaster, then painting. Will do two coats and let cure before reassembly.   I'll clean the plastic assembly but won't paint it.

« Last Edit: Friday,June 21, 2019, 05:43:31 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #883 on: Saturday,June 22, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
I was supposed to go to one of our Lotus Clubs Garage Tours (PALS) today but I'm still jet lagged and would have never made the drive home in the afternoon without a nap. So I decided to focus my energy on more restoration work until I needed an afternoon siesta.

Cleaned the heater fan housing and reassembled for installation later.

Cleaned and prepped the underside of the body for undercoating.  It was finally a clear sunny day and low humidity (It's been raining for weeks) so it was a good time to finish the final undercoating. Also installed the rear wheel arch closure plates,  riveting them in and taping the edge to the body and then undercoating.

I cut all the 1/4” closed cell foam padding for the chassis and glued it to the chassis replacing all the horse hair padding.

Drilled larger holes for the fuel lines (I'm using stainless steel braided lines and AN fittings) and installed new larger rubber grommets. 
« Last Edit: Saturday,June 22, 2019, 07:38:55 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #884 on: Saturday,June 22, 2019, 05:04:17 PM »
Nice progress Certified,
A’m getting accustomed to my afternoon nap with feels like temps of 105f. 
The frame wrap is first class, but you didn’t say the thickness used. I purchased some but not enough to cover what you did.
  Looks like the mating will take place soon.😀👍👍👍😀😀
Then the wiring begins....😧 fun times.
Dakazman