Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168601 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #660 on: Friday,April 13, 2018, 06:03:47 AM »
A friend of mine who owns a 73 Europa told me that Lotus made the pneumatic rear deck panel opener as an OEM part the last year that Europa's were manufactured. I searched for either new OEM parts or used and could not find any. Luckily my friend had a used OEM one that I could use as a template along with detailed drawings and instructions on how to make your own. I know that a number of Lotus part sellers (like RD) sell a version of this, but I wanted mine to be as close to OEM as possible so I took the parts I had and the drawings to my local welding shop and had him fabricate the pieces.  Now I just need to source the two pneumatic struts, paint the metal pieces and wait for the body to come back from the shop.........

« Last Edit: Friday,April 13, 2018, 06:10:27 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #661 on: Friday,April 13, 2018, 06:19:02 AM »
You might get the strut information from here: http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/body/struts/hoodproject.html

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #662 on: Friday,April 13, 2018, 06:42:52 AM »
Thanks BDA. That is the information I used. Will source them from MCMaster.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #663 on: Friday,April 13, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »
I built my own and bought the struts as recommended above.  It works, and I understand why you want to keep the strut force low, but I would go a little stronger the next time as it doesn't take much of a wind to blow it shut.

YMMV

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #664 on: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »
Last night a few friends came over for dinner and I brought them all into my garage to have them sit on the front of the chassis so I could bolt on the front anti-sway bar. Without weight on the front end bolting the bar to the lower shocks is impossible. Perfect fit with a couple of friends sitting and drinking while I was bolting things up  :beerchug:

Next was to install large stainless steel washers against the outside rear rubber bushings on the lower shock strut. I took heed to Bruce's warning.

I've been thinking about the brake system and the modifications I'm making to it.  One of the concerns was removing the Pressure Difference Warning Valve that was part of the brake booster system.  I created another post regarding this subject to get some focused responses:
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=2555.0

After making my decision on eliminating the PDWV I went about routing brake lines. Yeah, the OEM routing had much to be desired (in my opinion) and after running a trial location from the 4 way splitter to the left side connection for the swing arm I thought to myself, this makes no sense routing the brake line this way.  I drilled a hole in the chassis, painted the bare metal, put a rubber grommet in the hole and ran the brake line on he inside of the chassis. There we go. Much nicer installation and better protection to the brake line but still accessible.

Small steps, but every movement forward counts.

« Last Edit: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 01:57:11 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #665 on: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »
Looks nice!  :beerchug:

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #666 on: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
WHAT?  No picture of the guests all sitting down on the job????  :FUNNY:
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #667 on: Sunday,April 15, 2018, 04:26:17 PM »
To bring the ends in to attach to the shockers at the bottom, I wind a ratchet strap around both ends of the bar, and the tighten the ratchet until the holes on the anti-roll bar line up with the studs coming out from the bottom of the shockers.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #668 on: Monday,April 30, 2018, 04:08:40 AM »
Too much business travel and spring yard work have limited my time to work on the Europa the past several weeks. I found my "spare" SOVY tank and float from the Elan S4 restoration I did 2 years ago. Cleaned it up, put new washers/gaskets in it and screwed it right onto the master cylinder. Will disassemble again to electroplate the can.  I made a note to run wiring from it to the dash when the body comes back from the body shop.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 02:35:05 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #669 on: Tuesday,May 01, 2018, 02:38:28 AM »
To bring the ends in to attach to the shockers at the bottom, I wind a ratchet strap around both ends of the bar, and the tighten the ratchet until the holes on the anti-roll bar line up with the studs coming out from the bottom of the shockers.

Hadn’t thought of that. Great idea. Will remember for next time. Thanks!

Offline seniorchristo

« Reply #670 on: Sunday,May 13, 2018, 03:51:07 PM »
  :) LOG38 -  August 10  - tick tick tick..........  :))

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #671 on: Sunday,May 13, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »
Yeah, I gave the body shop a deadline of end of June to finish. If I don’t get it back by then there is no way I can finish the car and road test it. If I don’t get it done the Elan S1 is ready for the trip.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #672 on: Tuesday,July 24, 2018, 03:57:24 AM »
As usual life gets in the way of the fun stuff......my day job has been very time consuming lately so very little time for my “Lotus Garage”. And the body shop is making progress slowly with the doors finally sanded and some fiberglass work I had specified.

Bottom line the Europa will not be completed for LOG in Ohio, but I will be there with my Elan S1.

I’ve settled for a winter completion in my head. Let’s see what really happens.

Offline BDA

« Reply #673 on: Tuesday,July 24, 2018, 06:07:15 AM »
Sorry to hear your Europa won't make it to the LOG. Your body shop is taking a lot longer than mine took for me - and I thought mine was slow. You should be very impressed with the results when you finally retrieve it!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #674 on: Friday,July 27, 2018, 04:21:15 AM »
Thanks BDA. Your frame of mind is similar to mine. Luckily I have enough other things to keep me busy that I’m not frustrated waiting......