Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168579 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #645 on: Monday,April 02, 2018, 10:45:26 PM »
So what coils of tubing are they selling with all the brake pipe ends, that look like they are copper?

I have used that copper coloured tube everywhere.

It depends where you're buying it from, if it's a seller on Ebay then it could well be pure copper so it would be worth looking at the packet. 

Cunifer/Kunifer is generally a few quid more than copper and as Bainford says it has a silvery copper colouration compared with the deep red/gold of copper. It comes in several grades with varying amounts of nickel but the one I've used for brake pipes is the 90/10, which is normally the cheapest. If you have the proper cunifer alloy it's got a touch of iron in there as well so it's not just a plain copper/nickel alloy - Cu/Ni/Fe(r)

/geek mode off/   ;)

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #646 on: Wednesday,April 04, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »
I ran a new line to the rear in the sameplace as the old line as the body hangs down about 1/2 bellow it.
I used this line probably the same as yours.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #647 on: Wednesday,April 04, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »
Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. One of the things I didn't think about was the potential of a brake line vibrating inside the chassis because I didn't secure it enough routing it in a place that it wasn't originally.  I'm not worried about having to replace it. As a matter of fact, I have never had to replace any of the main brake lines for any of my sports cars due to corrosion so I'm not so worried about it. (although my son had a BMW E30 that we had to replace all the brake lines due to road exposure and pin holes).

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #648 on: Wednesday,April 04, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
While I am finalizing my thinking on the routing of the brake line going to the rear of the chassis, it was time to get the brake master cylinder configured properly. As most of you already know, the replacement master cylinder used when eliminating the brake boosters doesn't have a threaded push rod.  Originally I had thought I would just saw off the end of the rod and thread it for the extension tube to be threaded on. Well, it was a nice thought but measurements showed that would not work as the push rod would be too short. Luckily I saved the rod from the OEM master cylinder, re-plated it and installed it in the new master cylinder. Placed in position and bolted everything up.

Now I am ready to run a brake line to the rear. 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #649 on: Sunday,April 08, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
Made some more brake lines today, installed them on the rear suspension arms and made brake line clamps to hold in place. Then I  installed the JEGS rear brake proportioning valve along with the three way splitter.  After I installed it I thought about it some more and may move it up some more towards the front of the engine to eliminate two longer runs of brake line.  Need to think about it some more.

Installed the wheels.  I have been waiting for the day I would do this. Probably a bit premature, but I need to have suspension compression on the front of the car to install the anti-sway bar and this was the best way to accomplish that. Install the wheels and add weight to the front of the car. Starting to come together  :beerchug:

My nicest moment this weekend was getting a pair of custom stainless steel grille vents for the rear engine deck from BDA.  Very cool and will look great when everything is done on the body.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #650 on: Sunday,April 08, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »
Looks great Certified! Where are you going to locate the brake pressure differential switch ( brake warning light switch)? Also, what tires did you settle on?
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

« Reply #651 on: Sunday,April 08, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
It seems to be coming together pretty smoothly! Man, that looks great on wheels!

Glad you like the screens. I think they'll look good on your car. I'm anxious to see it all come together!

Offline Bodzer

« Reply #652 on: Monday,April 09, 2018, 12:13:26 AM »
Looking great! I’m at the same stage as you are. I’d love to come over and compare notes. I’m flying into Newark later but it’s only for the night. By the way, is that a Lenham hardtop in the background? I’m considering one for my Elan. Are they any good?

Offline brucelotus26r

« Reply #653 on: Monday,April 09, 2018, 04:47:13 AM »
Make sure you use a big flat washer on the lower rear shock as I used one about the size you have and one of my shock popped off
on my first drive.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #654 on: Monday,April 09, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »
Looks great Certified! Where are you going to locate the brake pressure differential switch ( brake warning light switch)? Also, what tires did you settle on?

Great question. I was trying to figure out how to combine the brake warning light switch and the brake light switch into one union. Has anyone done this where they removed the brake boosters?

I bought Toyo tires, 175 up front and 185 in the rear. Not as sticky as my Yokohama’s on my Elan, but I wanted to get the Europa running and broken in before I spend silly money on tires from the UK. 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #655 on: Monday,April 09, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »
Looking great! I’m at the same stage as you are. I’d love to come over and compare notes. I’m flying into Newark later but it’s only for the night. By the way, is that a Lenham hardtop in the background? I’m considering one for my Elan. Are they any good?

Bodzer, it’s a shame your not going to be in NJ for longer than one night. I’m about an hour from EWR. Next time plan to stop by, always have cold beer ready in the garage.

Good spotting. The hardtop is an original hardtop for my S1 Elan. Just bought it this winter. Needs to be restored so I haven’t fitted it to the car yet.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #656 on: Monday,April 09, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
It seems to be coming together pretty smoothly! Man, that looks great on wheels!

Glad you like the screens. I think they'll look good on your car. I'm anxious to see it all come together!

Thanks BDA!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #657 on: Monday,April 09, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »
Make sure you use a big flat washer on the lower rear shock as I used one about the size you have and one of my shock popped off
on my first drive.

Oh boy, that is very good advice Bruce. Thanks!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #658 on: Tuesday,April 10, 2018, 04:00:29 PM »
Looking fantastic Certified.

I don’t know where you find time to complete all the items you have. Keep blazing along
Dave

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #659 on: Friday,April 13, 2018, 03:49:13 AM »
Thanks a Dave. I try to spend at least a few hours a week on some aspect of the rebuild. Momentum is important to get a project done. When I can I do big pushes on weekends starting at 7am until dinner time. I can usually get an entire car rebuilt in a year working mostly on weekends (this is my third Lotus project). Sending the body out for fiberglass work and painting slowed me down a lot as I knew I’d be waiting for the body to return so I didn’t press as hard to get completed.

If I didn’t have a demanding day job I could do these rebuilds in a couple of months.......