Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168571 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #435 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 02:47:02 AM »
Dakazman, there are actually two “washers” one is a very thin black one and the other is the felt one. I have left over new felt ones that will need a small amount of trimming your welcome to have if you pm your mailing address. Hopefully you kept the black washers.

By the way, my friend Drew says never throw anything away until you are done with the build. He has been proven right many many times.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #436 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 06:32:11 AM »
 If your still apart , can you take a picture of those items, I do have a box of miscellaneous items it might be in.  Give me a few days to find. Big thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #437 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
If your still apart , can you take a picture of those items, I do have a box of miscellaneous items it might be in.  Give me a few days to find. Big thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas
Dakazman

Here you go:

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #438 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
The assembly of the transaxle was planned for today at Drew’s garage.  Careful measuring of all tolerances against the info in the shop manual (and remembering JB’s comment on checking  the ring/pinion contact pattern carefully). Getting the preload right and the pinion drag. Opened up the bag for the new oil seals where the stub axles are located and.........they are the wrong size.

The OEM seals are 36 x 52 x 7. The replacements are 36 x 54 x 11. ARRGGH! This is the second time I have ordered a part for the transaxle that isn’t the right one. Of course replacements are readily available on- line but it’s Christmas weekend and no chance of getting these by tomorrow.

Note to self......open every bag/box of new parts and take a micrometer to the part to confirm it’s the right size. These seals have been sitting in my garage for 2 months......

Oh well, I certainly have enough to do on other parts of the chassis assembly.
« Last Edit: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 01:16:13 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #439 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 01:22:01 PM »
Update from the body shop. Most of the paint has been sanded off the car. Now the repair of spider cracks and filling in the holes for the side marker lights and antenna. Plus a part of the firewall was a bit soft and needs some reinforcement along with the the battery tray rebuild due to acid leak from the battery.

« Last Edit: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 01:28:36 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #440 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 01:41:47 PM »
In spite of the fact you're having problems getting the right size bearings and seals for your tranny, you seem to be making pretty good progress!

I'm thinking about rebuilding my tranny. Where did you order your seals and bearings?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #441 on: Saturday,December 23, 2017, 02:26:06 PM »
BDA, 123 Bearing in France has most of what you need and JB suggests MecaParts. I plan on creating a separate 352 Transaxle rebuild Post once it is completed. I have found that 123 is very helpful on the phone.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #442 on: Wednesday,December 27, 2017, 04:23:07 PM »
Got one of my son's (Ryan) to help this morning media blasting and electroplating nuts, bolts and washers.  I bolted the front left disc to the hub, greased up the axle, got the bearings in place, made sure the felt was aligned properly and bolted up the hub to the axle. Then I took Ryan's plated bolts and lock washers and polished them before installing the caliper and installing the brake pads, shims, pins and cotter pins. Looks good to me!

« Last Edit: Wednesday,December 27, 2017, 04:42:22 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #443 on: Wednesday,December 27, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »
Congrats to Ryan.... helping, even holding a flashlight, torch in England, is where I started and have great memories of all the time with my father. Can’t wait to see those bolts . I have 4 daughters ,the
Youngest will design a graphic for the inside of the bonnet... maybe Ratfink or Betty boop 😀.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #444 on: Thursday,December 28, 2017, 07:20:25 PM »
Dakazman, your absolutely right about the memories, and hopefully some learning  8)

Stopped by Drew’s garage to use his hydraulic press to remove the races in the right front hub. Drew had the 352 Transaxle all assembled and tested. Just waiting for the delivery of the two stub axle seals before completed. Typical of Drew’s work, everything to perfection.
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 28, 2017, 09:38:29 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #445 on: Friday,December 29, 2017, 05:17:31 AM »
Certified
Your tranny looks great.

I read you might be going with black, still true? Those spider cracks were a bear to repair. I stopped drilled all legs and center , sanded both sides and reglassed . After painting mine I found two small blisters and paint lifting. These were caused by a void under the surface in glass .defects no bigger than 3/8 inch and varied in shape.I repaired all , but these are extremely hard and frustrating to find later . I believe there is a roller or tap test but even that is unreliable.

Have a Happy and safe New Year
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #446 on: Friday,December 29, 2017, 07:49:54 AM »
That's a purty tranny you got there, Certified!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #447 on: Friday,December 29, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »
Dakazman, your right......I was going to paint the transaxle black and then I changed my mind while buying paint.  Owners prerogative  :FUNNY:

Yes, spider cracks are the devil to remove. But easy for me 'cause I have Dave doing the work!  I don't do body work or engine machining.  I leave those projects to the experts who have the skill, tools and lots of experience. Everything else I can do. I am in awe of anyone who does body work and painting at home. So big respect to you Dakazman  :trophy:

Thanks BDA!
« Last Edit: Friday,December 29, 2017, 09:11:57 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #448 on: Friday,December 29, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
More progress over the last two days.  Rethreaded the rear bearing carriers and prepped for paint. Lots of media blasting and painting.  Old bearings pulled and new ones installed on the right front hub.  More electroplating of bolts, nuts and washers. My oldest son got wise after one afternoon plating parts, he was completely unavailable to help again with this. Luckily I have another son (Colin) who could be bribed to work with me on plating hundreds of parts for most of the evening.  Although I don't think I could get him to do it again.

Disassembly of the right caliper which was in worse shape than the left. Got the piston out of one half, but not the other.  I've tried the pumping grease, using compressed air and heating up the aluminum caliper. Nothing has budged that piston. Now have it soaking in penetrating oil.

I also showed Colin how to pack grease into bearings and prep bare metal for painting. All the boring stuff before the fun of assembly.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #449 on: Saturday,December 30, 2017, 04:28:54 AM »
Im impressed certified, good selection of photographs