Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168637 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday,January 10, 2017, 07:25:09 AM »
Glen, did the ashtray come with a spring metal retaining clip? The clip serves a dual purpose of securing the ashtray to the metal holder and a spot to extinguish the cigarette. It's not essential but the ashtray is not complete without it.

My restoration plan for the ashtray shown is to first remove the rust in vinegar or molasses/water solution then polish and seal the metal. There will probably be some pitting, hope it's not too bad. For the bakelite, use plastic polish by hand or Dremel.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca 

Offline BDA

« Reply #196 on: Tuesday,January 10, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
If you can take the ashtray apart, you might be able to have the metal bits plated. Obviously, if there's pitting, that could be a problem. There are amazing chrome paints available now. I saw one demonstrated on Jay Leno's Garage a few years ago. It was amazing stuff. It was water based and required zero skill (no runs, sags, orange peel, etc. no matter how poorly you sprayed it). I couldn't find that video but I found this one which looks like it might be the same product (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9-wFTUhpT4). I didn't find a supplier right away so I don't know the price. It might be expensive enough that you'd want to line up some bumpers and other parts to make it worth while. Eastwood also a kit that doesn't look quite as good to my eye. I found this video where a guy rates rattle can chrome paints and a couple are actually pretty good (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL4IYoxJqu4). You should be able to take care of the pits and then paint it with Spaz Stix or VHT Metal Finish and have reasonable results. You can do a search on youtube for "spray chrome paint" and find several videos on chrome paints of varying quality and you can judge for yourself. When I started this post, I didn't realize there would be so much out there on this!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #197 on: Tuesday,January 10, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »
Andy, Joji and BDA, thanks for the input and suggestions. The ashtray did not come with the spring clip (ugh.....another part to find). I don't smoke and don't know anyone who does. I might just glue the damn thing in after I restore it  :FUNNY:

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #198 on: Tuesday,January 10, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »
For the ashtray itself a great product is "Great Knobs"  It is made by a guy who restores vintage fountain pens.  He also has an MG TC. The product is great for bakelite or any hard rubber item, such as knobs and switches.

By the way, my ashtray is also missing the spring metal piece.  If you find a stash of them please let me know!

Regards,
Sherman

http://pensburymanor.com/pensburymanor/Pensbury_Garage.html

GREAT   KNOBS!
Black Hard Rubber Color  Restorer
Now you can bring back the deep black color and  luster your black hard rubber dashboard knobs and switches once enjoyed when they were young and perky  by using Pensbury Manor's  GREAT  KNOBS!  to reblacken the oxidized, faded and browned out color that time and exposure to the elements has caused!  GREAT  KNOBS!  uses the very coloring agent that was used when the knobs were originally made.  Pensbury Manor's   GREAT KNOBS!  is a dye that penetrates the rubber surface pores and bonds with the original rubber in a most satisfactory way.  It is a water based, black liquid dye that bonds with rubber but will not bond with the metal so clean up is a snap.   The resulting restored color can be hand  buffed to a very high sheen as you can see in the after picture below.  GREAT KNOBS! comes in 1 and 2 oz. bottles - enough to restore from 25-50 normal size knobs and switches.
So simple to use!  Just brush it on, let it dry and buff lightly and you’ll have some really  GREAT KNOBS!
ALSO GREAT FOR BRAKE HANDLES, SHIFT KNOBS, DOOR HANDLES, HORN BUTTONS, BAKELITE ITEMS, MANY PLASTICS , VINYLS, PLUS MORE!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #199 on: Wednesday,January 11, 2017, 02:37:55 AM »
Thanks Britcar! I was unaware of this product and ordered a small bottle. If I find a stash of springs will let you know.

Offline pboedker

« Reply #200 on: Wednesday,January 11, 2017, 03:04:21 AM »
The ash tray in my car was also missing the spring clip (and still is). That has the positive effect that the ash tray can now be used as a finely calibrated device: If it jumps out of the holder on full acceleration from standstill, I know that the engine is OK and at its normal level of 'Umph!'.
 :pirate:
Peter Boedker
3904R Special
Denmark

Offline phil

« Reply #201 on: Wednesday,January 11, 2017, 07:12:38 AM »
Hello,
I too spent a long time to get an ash-tray, I had one already but it did not have the elusive spring clip fitted, my new one does however.
Did one come with yours?

Phil

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #202 on: Wednesday,January 11, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »
It is amazing how many people have the spring clip missing. I would think that it would be extremely difficult to replicate with it's multiple bends. If you think you came across one, I've attached a couple of close ups.

I also ordered the "Great Knobs" products this morning, primarily for my power window switches. We'll see how well it works. BDA, thanks for the info on the spray on chrome systems. I may consider those when I get to my bumpers. Durability of the finish is my main concern.

To keep the ashtray in place, a very thin strip of Velcro or magnetic adhesive backed tape may work. 

Offline BDA

« Reply #203 on: Wednesday,January 11, 2017, 10:47:07 AM »
To keep the ashtray in place, a very thin strip of Velcro or magnetic adhesive backed tape may work. 

I was thinking in terms of badge tape (from 3M).

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #204 on: Wednesday,January 11, 2017, 04:50:41 PM »
I forgot the spring clip had such bends. It also holds the ashtray lid open, and spring tension to keep it closed?
A guy around here does some really good chrome powder coating, that could be a option.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #205 on: Thursday,January 12, 2017, 04:19:46 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for insights, comments, recommendations and some thoughtful ideas on restoring the ashtray and substitute chrome.

I'm just happy I have the main parts of the ashtray to fill the void in the trans tunnel plastic cover.

While my chassis is off being media blasted and powder coated I'm working on the complete restoration of the shift linkage. I have a 352 transaxle and have read that every piece of the shift tubes connecting points should to be refurbish as it is the weak point. (Owning an early Elan I'm used to a very tight and direct shift, so I'm very spoiled).

I have two dilemma's regarding the shiftbtubes and associated parts; the center u-joint between the two tubes (#9 in the drawing) needs replacement. I have found a NOS part but the seller wants $400 for it. Then there is RD 's new version (see photo) for less than half the price. I'm not building a show car so originality isn't important, but function is. What would you do?

Second, I have two rear shift tubes (#10 in the drawing) Both are damaged and need many hours of repair work (not bent, just the ends are messed up). Have been looking for a NOS replacement without success. Anyone have this part for sale or know of a source? Is the ujoint attached to the rear tube a separate part or did it come with the rear tube already installed from the factory?

« Last Edit: Thursday,January 12, 2017, 04:28:33 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline buzzer

« Reply #206 on: Thursday,January 12, 2017, 05:06:20 AM »
The joint at the end of the bent tube that connects into the gearbox is part of the tube. It is welded on as std. I would expect you can get someone to refurbish it if it needs rebuilding.
In the UK Banks & SJ sport cars ran provide/refurb the parts. I got my central Uj refurbished by SJ sport cars. The Banks's one looks good but is expensive.
A good local machine shop may be your best bet for the UJ which is fixed to the tube.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #207 on: Thursday,January 12, 2017, 05:11:20 AM »
If your gold standard is how a Lotus Elan shifts, you are in for a rude shock.  It can be improved though.

First, your questions: second first, yes the rear-most link u-joint has it's yoke welded to the tube.  First, if you are not concerned about originality, then use modern sealed joints from a race fabrication supplier such as Pegasus.

What would I do?  What I already did which is build a custom cable shifter.  Shifts like a dream and it is easy to find any gear whether going up or down through then box.  That's a lot of work though.  I think significant improvements can be had by replacing, where possible, bushings with sealed bearings, fitting sealed u-joints and making up a reverse lock out at the shifter.

Initial fabrication:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-4qr8BZx/A

Final form:

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-nc9PsWm/A

https://jbcollier.smugmug.com/Lotus-Europa/i-SKn8D9L/A

Offline BDA

« Reply #208 on: Thursday,January 12, 2017, 06:00:09 AM »
I can't disagree with anything John says, especially about the sealed u-joints. I've seen a nice re-engineering of the pivot (at the bell housing) that should also help with shifting, too. I ll try to find some pictures.

In the meantime, I'd advise you to search the knowledgebase (link on main page of this forum) and the documentation section of Lotus Europa Central (http://www.lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm) for information on cable shifters. I have no experience with them, but several people seem to have had good experience with them. Since you aren't worried about originality and you're doing a frame-off, it might be an option to consider.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #209 on: Thursday,January 12, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »
There are a couple of files of documentions of cable shift conversions in the yahoo group file section. D. Lindemans' being a very complete one. He also has a list of parts and suppliers for the parts he designed. He posted the parts/suppliers in the messages recently.
BDA - thanks for the tip about Lotus Central documentation, I had almost forgot about L-C.
I too will be going thru the cable shift modification soon