Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168656 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #90 on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 05:30:45 AM »

Rich sent you the small cap Spitfire MC which is the correct one to use on the S2s and TCs with boosters removed. Bore size is 0.70" and is a direct bolt on to the Europas.  Besides routing the lines from the left side to the fittings on the right side done with jumpers or run new lines back to the rear of the car, you will need to modify the Spitfire pushrod to work with the TC rod. It will be obvious what needs to be done when you compare the two. I just finished up the conversion on my TCS.

I'm running all new brake hard lines once I remove the chassis from the body (and after I have the chassis media blasted and repainted).  I don't like using jumpers as its another fitting that could leak. Plus without the boosters, the hard lines will be routed to the brakes directly with only a splitter for right & left side. When you say "modify" the pushrod, can I use the original pushrod from the OEM master cylinder or is there a change in length?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #91 on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 09:03:47 AM »
When you say "modify" the pushrod, can I use the original pushrod from the OEM master cylinder or is there a change in length?

I dont know if the pushrod I had on my car was original or not, for some reason I doubt it. The piston recess on the triumph master cylinder was different and I think I made up a new front end to accommodate this.  The installation was covered in this thread, ignore the bodywork mods, mine is RHD so a different set of problems. As an aside I've just changed it again for a slightly larger bore (19mm) to go with the bigger disc conversion I did recently.

http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=138.0

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #92 on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
I agree with you that jumpers are a band aid and a source of potential leakage. If you are going through a body off restoration new brake lines are the way to go. My restoration is a few years away so I'm going with jumpers temporarily.

The small cap Spitfire MC has a 0.70" bore while the TC has a 0.875"(?) bore which means that the larger TC pushrod retaining washer can't be used. The simplest way to get around this is to cut the welded clevis from the Spitfire MC and thread it for the TC pushrod.

I misthreaded the Spitfire pushrod and ended up having to fabricate a new mushroom head pushrod. Look at the photo to see the difference in the mushroom tip for the stock TC/S2 pushrod and the Spitfire pushrod.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #93 on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
Now I understand about the master cylinder push rod.  Thanks for the additional insight and the photos!

I'm focused on the four corners of brakes and suspension at the moment.  Disassembling everything I can, media blasting, taking note of the parts I need to order and then reassembling. I'm sure the reassembly before I have finished everything has a few of you scratching your heads......... 

Until I can get the chassis and body separated (should be in a month or so) I wanted to learn all I can about the mechanical parts of the Europa.  As I have mentioned before, I have restored a couple of Lotus Elan's, but this is my first Europa. So I'm learning about this car by slowly taking it apart, reading the manuals I have and asking questions on this forum and then putting the parts back together to see how it all fits and what I have missed.  Plus, until I remove the chassis I want to roll the car around on its own wheels (although at this time there are no brakes). Once I have the chassis removed, everything comes back off (particularly the parts that can't be easily removed without the body off) and either media blasted or re-cleaned for primer and painting. I have a method to my madness ;-)

Today I media blasted more suspension parts from the right front.  You will see in the photo below the lower front arm partially media blasted with some original rust left on it for comparison (just about everything is rusted under the car). The next photo shows the various bends in the arm. I probably could have straightened all this out with the use of a torch, anvil and hammer, but I decided to replace the lower arms as I could source OEM parts. And the last photo show reassembly of the front suspension, disc brakes, etc. I did not remove the rear upper and lower arms as they will be easier to remove when the chassis is off. And the shocks/springs are being tossed as I have new full adjustable suspension.

« Last Edit: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 06:59:12 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #94 on: Monday,October 31, 2016, 06:36:31 AM »
I have emailed AND  called Richard at Banks to get some info on his rear disc brake kit as well as his headers and repackable muffler. No response??? Is this typical for him? Do I need to chase him to buy things?

As a comparison, I bought a huge amount of parts for my Elan S1 from Tony Thompson Racing in the UK and these guys were very responsive right from the beginning including hand written letters with install instructions for certain parts and follow up emails and phone calls.

I'm always surprised at people who are in business to sell parts and then don't respond to an inquiry to buy them.........

Offline BDA

« Reply #95 on: Monday,October 31, 2016, 07:24:01 AM »
It's been a long time since I've bought anything from Richard but I've bought a lot. I think I am one of the early buyers of his rear disc kit and twin link kit - in fact, IIRC I had to wait for him to finish developing the rear disc kit. I found him extremely knowledgeable and helpful. That was almost twenty years ago.

Unless he's changed (I would doubt it), he doesn't do email. That doesn't explain why you are having trouble getting him on the phone. When I've called him, I try to get him mid-day (which means about 7:00 am for us).

I know that he's occasionally had some health issues (that I think have been resolved). I don't know how true it is, but I am led to understand that his is basically a one man shop - he has helpers but he does all the real work.

Obviously, I can't say what's going on with him. I can guess that as his success has grown, that he is swamped. That's the best face I can put on it. Hopefully his health isn't becoming a problem again.

Offline Roger

« Reply #96 on: Monday,October 31, 2016, 07:39:53 AM »
I've had help from Richard too. Best contact is by phone, just like it is with Sue Miller in the Elan world.
Both are super helpful though.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #97 on: Monday,October 31, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
Ok, good to know that Richard is a one man shop and telephone is the only way to communicate. I'll try again ;-)

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #98 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 04:40:24 AM »
Spent a portion of Sunday with my friend Drew removing the broken windscreen and starting the removal of the dash to replace it. While dismantling we found the number of the car written in chalk on a metal support.  I'm being careful to keep it intact.  I'm removing the radio as my new dash has a blanking plate. Was wondering if the Blaupunkt radio/cassette player was OEM supplied? 

The wiring is all in order and looks to be unmolested, which is unusual in these cars.  It is evident it has never been taken apart.

The windscreen on the other hand had a lot of sealant on it. I wonder if this was all factory applied.....

« Last Edit: Monday,November 07, 2016, 04:41:58 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #99 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 05:10:14 AM »
I believe the radio was a dealer installed item. The parts manual doesn't specify a brand. The dealer installed a Becker in my car and it seems that I remember that it wasn't universal. It's probably likely that a lot of people installed their own radio.

You're very lucky that your wiring is unmolested. That seems like one of the playgrounds for POs.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #100 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 05:29:31 AM »
Should also find the build number written in chalk and probably coarsely engraved on the inside of the doors
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #101 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 05:31:20 PM »
The Radio and Antenna were both dealer install. I don't think their is was a specific place to put the antenna. Either Right or left, the dealer decided. Mine is on the drivers side, while yours is one the right. My dad and I think they just drilled a hole and put one in.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,November 08, 2016, 07:27:49 AM by TheKid#9 »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #102 on: Tuesday,November 08, 2016, 03:19:47 AM »
I'm a fan of listening to the engine sounds. No radio for me. (If you really want music there are enough portable devices that interface with an iPhone that it's not an issue). So the blanking plate goes in. Now I need to figure out what to do with the antenna hole in the body. Kid#9 it's on the right side of my car.

Buzzer, I'll make sure to look for the marks inside the doors when I take them apart to put in new hinges.

BDA, good to know these where dealer installed. Makes sense for US cars.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday,November 09, 2016, 08:54:39 AM »
My dash needs re-doing, and I have considered removing the original dealer installed radio/tape deck as well when I refinish the woodwork, but it's an 8-track which just might be too cool to get rid of. I just love explaining its operation to younger people.  :WTF:
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday,November 09, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
but it's an 8-track which just might be too cool to get rid of. I just love explaining its operation to younger people.

:)  I like the style, it's important these young folks realise how hard we had it in the olden days.....

Brian