Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 168600 times)

Offline Certified Lotus

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #75 on: Monday,October 24, 2016, 06:50:43 PM »
Parts i have ordered from around the world are starting to come in. I learned a long time ago that lack of parts is what slows a rebuild down to a crawl and is usually the reason most projects don't get completed. You wait and get distracted. Next thing you know years go by and you loose interest.

My last three Lotus projects were all long term restoration/rebuilds by others until I get them. Then they get done ;-)

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #76 on: Monday,October 24, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
NICE!!!  :pirate:  (Parts & philosophy).
Which master cylinder did you get?

Offline BDA

« Reply #77 on: Monday,October 24, 2016, 07:42:20 PM »
Very nice! The lower A-arms are very difficult to get! Those look very nice! Are the reproductions? Where did you get them?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #78 on: Monday,October 24, 2016, 08:10:05 PM »
+1 on where you found the lower arms !!!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #79 on: Thursday,October 27, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »
Kampena Motor Sports in Sonoma CA had the OEM lower control arms in stock. Rich has a decent supply of OEM and hard to get parts that no-one else seems to have. I have sourced him for a number of my hard to find Elan parts too.

He also supplied the Europa twin cam master brake cylinder that is bolt on for when you are removing the boosters. There are no markings on any of the pieces so I don't know who makes it.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #80 on: Thursday,October 27, 2016, 05:27:18 PM »
My wheels with mounted tires are back from the wheel refinisher. For those of you paying attention you will notice a spare set of wheels. I bought these as my car did not come with a spare. Now I have four!

Crimson Wheel repair in Edison, NJ. He did great work!

Offline BDA

« Reply #81 on: Thursday,October 27, 2016, 05:40:01 PM »
Crimson Wheel repair in Edison, NJ. He did great work!

Yes they did!  :beerchug:

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #82 on: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »
I'm trying to identify the proper name and part number for the "under panel" that is underneath the steering rack and bolts to the chassis and front fiberglass body. Can't find it identified in either the parts manual or the repair manual (although it does show up in a drawing).

Can anyone give me the info on this part?

The photo below is of the aluminum plate that is on my car. I'm looking for the OEM piece.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #83 on: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 11:19:15 AM »
Closing plate

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #84 on: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »
But of course! Thanks. Wouldn't happen to have a part number?

Offline BDA

« Reply #85 on: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 12:29:29 PM »
Ok, this is a trick question, isn't it? I looked in the parts manual and didn't find it (but it could always be hiding in a section I didn't expect like 'Transmission' or 'Exhaust'). All it is is a sheet metal piece that's not quite as wide as the 'T' of the frame and long enough to attach to the fiberglass floor in front of the front trunk. There's a hole in it to let water drain out and the left and right edges have a lip to stiffen it. Even if I could find a part number, I would be surprised if anyone stocked them. I would think they would expect you to make your own, but then in the next post someone will probably give you a part number and somebody who stocks them in aluminum!

Edit: New information
I did find it in the S2 parts manual (054A0201). Then I found that Spyder sells it as an "underlay body to chassis" them with their frame (probably available separately). Richard has them in his parts catalog (http://www.parts.banks-europa.co.uk/orders_frame.htm). The interesting thing here is that the S2 and TC are two different parts so they could be more different than I thought! It seems everybody has them! Maybe it's worth a call to Ray at r.d.
« Last Edit: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 12:46:12 PM by BDA »

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #86 on: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
NICE!!!  :pirate:  (Parts & philosophy).
Which master cylinder did you get?

Rich sent you the small cap Spitfire MC which is the correct one to use on the S2s and TCs with boosters removed. Bore size is 0.70" and is a direct bolt on to the Europas.  Besides routing the lines from the left side to the fittings on the right side done with jumpers or run new lines back to the rear of the car, you will need to modify the Spitfire pushrod to work with the TC rod. It will be obvious what needs to be done when you compare the two. I just finished up the conversion on my TCS.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #87 on: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »
Thanks guys! It's such a great resource to be able to communicate with people like you that have knowledge about these cars and get real information and insights. Very much appreciated!

I remember back in the "dark ages" (before Internet) where you had to try and figure it out on your own or know someone and wait to pay them a visit to ask questions and hopefully get the right answers. I screwed up more things than I care to remember during those days........

Offline BDA

« Reply #88 on: Saturday,October 29, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »
I can relate. I started my car before the Internet got going and I missed out on good information back then. A lot of things are so much easier now!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #89 on: Sunday,October 30, 2016, 05:24:21 AM »
Yesterday was right front disc brake and suspension parts removal. Then a couple of hours of media blasting and solvent soaking to remove rust and grime.  The brake pads were locked in position for so long they left an imprint in the rotor that I could not get out with my media blaster.