Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 170912 times)

Offline cwtech

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #600 on: Tuesday,March 06, 2018, 08:40:08 AM »
I'm late to respond, but offer my input.

Lip-type seals are designed for the lip to face the fluids.  ...I know-- there are no fluids in the hub.  ...So, with no lube to retain, the open-side of the seal toward the yoke, would help prevent dirt and/or moisture from reaching the bearing.

One of the pics makes the seal appear to have two lips.  ...If one lip is a larger than the other, the larger diameter may very well ride on the slinger, while the smaller diameter of the lip seals on the stub axle.

Bearings are either open, shielded, or sealed.  ....Assuming the bearings have no way of being greased, only the lube present in the bearing is available. 
...Only sealed bearings are designed to retain this lube, without additional means needed to keep out dirt and water.  ....If shielded or open bearings are used, the lip can face outward.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #601 on: Wednesday,March 07, 2018, 05:31:22 AM »
Thanks for the complement Dakazman!

CWtech, yes there are two lips on the seal and they have different angles and depth on both. And one side has a spring around the seal to prevent distortion. When reviewing the seal on the bench Chris and I must have spent 30 minutes talking about the optimum seal direction on the axle shoulder and after much discussion came the the conclusion that it didn’t really matter as it was a dust shield.

The only thing I worry about is the side of the seal that has the spring is now mounted towards the sealed bearing. If the spring were to break the pieces would be floating around, where the other way the spring would end up on the road. By the way, of the four hubs I dismantled all of them had the spring missing.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #602 on: Sunday,March 11, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
Got distracted this weekend. Our local Lotus Club (PALS) had it annual "Winter Stress Reliever" party on Saturday and today I worked on renovating the 1/2 bathroom attached to the friends entrance of our house. Plus another Lotus friend (Steve) came over to use my flaring tool in my shop for all his new brake lines for his recent plus 2 Elan he purchased recently. I did sneak in a couple of hours at the end of the day to install the rear brake drum backing plates and clean up the rear hubs to prep for painting. Its important to remove all the residual Loctite in between the splines on the axle shaft and the hub to insure a good fit and adhesion when reassembling with Loctite 635. Prepped the hubs for painting and applied the first coat.

Offline BDA

« Reply #603 on: Sunday,March 11, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »
Another step in your journey! So have you given up on rear discs?

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #604 on: Sunday,March 11, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »
BDA, I have been in communication with Milo and he suggested I install the drum brakes as he does not yet have a solution developed yet for rear disc brakes with the e brake. All good, it will be an easy mod later on. I’m waiting for his solution as his other systems are well designed.

Offline BDA

« Reply #605 on: Sunday,March 11, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
I think I already mentioned that I have Richard's kit. My recent freak out over what turned out to be paint cracking from the heat from my discs impressed me with how well they worked. They generated more heat than I expected! Just a thought...

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #606 on: Sunday,March 11, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
Appreaciate the recommendation BDA. I’m going to wait and see what Milo develops.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #607 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 06:01:17 AM »
Glen, that photo of the backing plate doesn't look right to me.  I remember the wheel cylinder opening more at the 12 o'clock position and horizontal.   Do you have it mounted on the correct side (not sure if they are side specific)?    Or is it just me?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline BDA

« Reply #608 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 06:31:15 AM »
It's not you, Ted. It is a bit catty whumpus. I didn't think you could put them on any other way (other than a multiple of 90 degrees off.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #609 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »
i just checked mine and indeed, there is a very slight rearward tilt, but Glen's is at a much more extreme tilt.   Something's not right here...
« Last Edit: Monday,March 12, 2018, 09:45:41 AM by tedtaylor »
TED

'13 Evora S

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #610 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »
Mmmmm, they came off my car that way and there is a specific bolt pattern. I wonder if they are reversed left/right. Will have to check. Thanks Ted.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #611 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #612 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »
Thanks JB. The site for “Dave’s Europa” is for a 72 which is the same year as mine and it does have the more significant angle location for the actuator. 

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #613 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
I also just noticed my backing plate does not have the access hole at the bottom opposite the wheel cylinder either.    yours does.   what's going on here???
Mine is the "Special" with wider brake shoes.   is yours glen?   Maybe that's the difference?
TED

'13 Evora S

Offline dakazman

« Reply #614 on: Monday,March 12, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
Took a few pics of my plates off an 70 s2 for what it’s worth part nor ending in 99 is on the right.
Dakazman