Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 170670 times)

Offline BDA

Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 05:45:27 PM »
That's exactly right! And from Brian's post, even if it is a cold shut, it may not be serious.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 05:48:48 PM by BDA »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #181 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »
I couldn't help myself........went out to my shop and removed the bearings from the hub upright.  Wanted to see inside of the casting.  Cleaned it up and shot some detailed photos. I don't think I have a problem with a "cold Shut".....but I do have a problem with one of the bearing collars that broke. 

Offline Runningwild

« Reply #182 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 06:49:45 PM »
I had Richard at Banks recondition a set of bearing carriers for me. Came out great

Offline BDA

« Reply #183 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »
At the risk of...  :deadhorse:

I see what you mean. From these  pictures, it looks like the area where the line is is smooth and there is no crack there. From what I see, it appears to be a mold issue and not a real problem. (Just so you don't think I'm an alarmist, here is the thread about the guy I was thinking about when this topic got started. He did not have a cold shut like I thought but rather an inclusion which is an impurity in the molten metal used in the casting: http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1718.msg15850#msg15850).

I don't know what Richard charges to recondition your upright (if it really needs it - there might be enough surface for the bearing to seat against) but I would certainly trust him to do a fabulous job; not to mention advise you as to whether he needs to work on it or not. I would also expect there are people on this side of the pond who can do it, too. I don't know who that would be but from what I've read from their website, there's an operation in Virginia that does some very nice restorations named White Post Restorations (http://whitepost.com/). From what they say they can get it done. You might ask Ray at r.d. enterprises or Dave Bean. I suspect at least one of those guys could help you out.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 08:13:30 PM by BDA »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday,January 03, 2017, 11:39:26 PM »
Lighting makes all the difference.....    :)

The reason I posted before was that in the initial photo the defect looked to have a sharp jagged edge and that's traditional crack style. An unusual orientation because you'd expect it to start from either end but there's always the potential for a defect such as BDA described forming an initiation point. With lighting in the other direction, it looks solid metal.

As for the bearing seat, that's odd. Not enough metal in the casting ? Central core moved ? who knows, it might even be down to an exuberant DPO !

Practically I think only one bearing is locked in position, the other is free to move along the carrier and constrained by the middle spacer when it's all bolted up tight. I'd think you've got sufficient metal there to seat the bearing but from the photos I'd guess that's the moveable side that's damaged so maybe the bearing never meets that surface ? 

No idea why it's there, maybe the spacer collapsed or the wrong length was used in a previous life ? 

Brian

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #185 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 03:40:27 AM »
BDA & EuropaTC, I figured more detailed photos would provide a different perspective.
Glad we are all in agreement  :beerchug:

The bearing seat collar is a different story. No broken metal parts inside the upright. Bearings in decent condition. Not sure what happened here, but considering the PO had some other rebuild issues I'm suspect of a backyard mechanic that doesn't really understand what they are doing. Remember in my earlier posts I mentioned the left hub and retaining nut came off with my hand.

I have another pair of uprights that I will disassemble and inspect for use. A couple of months ago I found a 72 Europa TC for sale that someone was building as a race car project and gave up. Stored in a dry barn for 10 years. Made a silly offer and it was accepted. Once I got it stripped it of all the parts I wanted to keep (weber head engine completely rebuilt with new bearings, cams, Pistons, rods, etc., 4 speed 352 transaxle, rear drive train parts (including uprights, axles & half shafts), front uprights and axles, etc.) sold the body, chassis and wheels. I knew the cost of replacement parts and the difficulty is finding them so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have them at hand just in case. The big plus was the weber head TC. I'm a past track guy, always have a spare engine and trans in your garage  8)
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 05:45:10 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline BDA

« Reply #186 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 05:34:26 AM »
With those spares and that Weber head, I'd say you're in good shape! I think you're going to end up with a great car! Now, if you could just find an ashtray!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #187 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 05:43:43 AM »
I found an ashtray ........negotiating the price at the moment.

Offline BDA

« Reply #188 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 05:47:33 AM »
You're kidding!! Congratulations!!  :pirate: :pirate: :trophy: :beerchug:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #189 on: Wednesday,January 04, 2017, 07:07:00 AM »
The outer rear wheel bearing is held in place.  The inner rear wheel bearing is located by the bearing spacer, it does not seat against the housing.  It is not uncommon for the end of the machined bore for the inner bearing to be incomplete.

Lotus could never have been accused of having an artisan foundry.  Cheap and cheerful being the order of the day.  In these days of CNC, it would be nice to have them remade from solid.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #190 on: Thursday,January 05, 2017, 03:50:41 AM »
JB, are you suggesting the bearing collar is ok to use that way?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #191 on: Thursday,January 05, 2017, 08:51:03 AM »
Yes, the upright is just fine as long as the bearings are not loose in their bores.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #192 on: Saturday,January 07, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
Delivered my chassis and assorted parts to the media blasting company to strip off all the old paint and surface rust.  Of course it started snowing just as I was getting the chassis into the truck.  Will have it back next week and then off to the powder coater.

When I returned to my garage I tackled the disassembly of my other set of spare uprights, bearings, stub axles and half shafts in order to see what condition the uprights were in.  Was pleasantly surprised after media blasting the right and left sides.  Both are in good condition.  Now I have two sets although one of the uprights has a bearing collar that has some damage. JB suggests its not an issue as long as the bearing is tight in the bore.

« Last Edit: Saturday,January 07, 2017, 12:15:13 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #193 on: Tuesday,January 10, 2017, 03:09:07 AM »
Nice snow fall this weekend. Light and fluffy because it's 20 degree's outside. Just enough to look nice but not enough to make it great skiing or shut everything down.  My other 72 Europa (which is a shell) that is sold but waiting for pickup got it's first taste of snow in many years.

The big news is my ashtray arrived  :))  Now all I have to do is restore it. Carefully.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #194 on: Tuesday,January 10, 2017, 05:14:06 AM »
The parts TCS car I had came with a ash tray that appeared much like yours looks. I just buffed the parts on a sewn buffing wheel. The bakelite ashtray came out really well - smooth & shiny - with little polishing. I don't remember what compound the wheel was impregnated with. Thought I still had some photos, but must have deleted after I sold ashtray.
hth