Author Topic: Restoration of 2358R  (Read 170589 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: Restoration of 2358R
« Reply #1275 on: Sunday,October 27, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
Hi again,
If you could get some more movement on the nut then it does sound like something had relaxed after the initial few miles but to be honest I've no idea what that could be. 

My workshop manual has "check rear hub retention" as part of the A service which is pretty much every 3 months or so, which suggests Lotus thought it a potential problem area although perhaps that's harking back to the S1/S2 and just playing safe ?

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1276 on: Sunday,October 27, 2019, 10:35:23 AM »
By the time the TC came along, they added using loctite on the splines due to all the hub loosening issues.  You should use loctite on the S1/2s as well even though it's not specified in the manual.

It definitely came loose due to components settling in.  There's no other way for play to develop if the nut is locked in place.  On my recent rear axle conversion, I checked hub torque after every long drive until it stabilized.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1277 on: Monday,October 28, 2019, 05:59:48 AM »
Thanks Brian & JB. You have confirmed my own thoughts on this. Will drive the car for a while and recheck it.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #1278 on: Monday,October 28, 2019, 06:39:01 AM »
Glen, which locktite did you use? The recommended "35" no longer seems to be made. Did you use a primer? If you found some actual "35" it may have been old stock, and may have a shelf life. Was the residual Locktite on you splines still gooey when your hub came off?

I have been flummoxed by Locktite products many times in my day job. What works once in the lab for a prototype sometimes fails miserably in production. We have done pull-off tests with 648 retaining compound and rarely get advertised strengths.

I am not facing a hub removal anytime in the near future (knock on wood) but if I were I would look into alternatives to Locktite for that purpose. Epoxies have come a long way since the 1970s and there may be a gap filler that does a better job of the intended purpose than Locktite 35.

Tom

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1279 on: Monday,October 28, 2019, 07:57:05 AM »
Loctite 35 is now 635.  It's important spec over other spline compounds is its slow cure time.  This easily gives you time to assemble it.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #1280 on: Monday,October 28, 2019, 08:53:29 AM »
Brian, thanks for the photo and comments. I suspect the reason it came loose was either loctite was old and not functional or I didn’t put enough of it on. This time I put much more (new) loctite on the splines.

The bent washer was intact and holding the nut in place. But it seemed to need another half turn to tighten it. I know I had torqued the nut to 150 lbs. The only other thing I can think of is it might be possible a bearing wasn’t full seated and it finally seated with the torqued nut and some driving. I’m doubtful this was the cause as I used a hydraulic press to seat the hub bearings and checked them afterwards.

I read somewhere to check these nuts after 100 miles when you have replaced the bearings. I am guessing this might be a common problem?

Never the less, it’s all back together and will get some miles on it to check the assembled result.

The Dave Bean catalogue has some interesting words on torqueing the hub nut. He suggests after getting everything together, but before bending the tab washer, take the car out to a safe, empty parking lot or similar and leaning on it hard whilst turning in each direction. Do this a few times then go home and re-torque the nut. Repeat. After a couple of rounds of this procedure, then finalise the nut torque and bend the tab washer.

If I had the cataloque with me I could scan and attach the page, but I'm at work right now. Nonetheless, it sounds like such a regimen may have prevented this 'near miss'. I am very glad it was caught when it was.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #1281 on: Monday,October 28, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
Certified: I tied off the speedometer cable with a tie wrap a couple of years ago when I replaced the cable and have not had a problem.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1282 on: Monday,October 28, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »
Bainford, Surf & JB, I’m fairly convinced the issue was both the hub not being fully seated and not enough loctite. I did not use primer but I cleaned all the surfaces with lacquer thinner and then let everything dry. Both of those situations are now remedied.

L/M, I like your simple solution. Even better is the gentle curve of the speedo cable!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1283 on: Wednesday,November 06, 2019, 04:33:33 PM »
Latest video of my Europa Twin Cam

https://youtu.be/dlaZESDiYes

Offline Steve_Lindford

• The time is...
« Reply #1284 on: Wednesday,November 06, 2019, 11:48:32 PM »
I would have thought that re torquing the nut after the locktite has set would mean the locktite would fail...     ??

Offline dakazman

« Reply #1285 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 02:44:49 AM »
   Nice video Certified, that link should be on your eBay post. That engine sounds GREAT!
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #1286 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 06:59:59 AM »
If you use the proper slow-setting loctite, it would work.  You'd have to wait until the car was ready for the road before fitting and tightening the rear hubs.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #1287 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 06:41:49 PM »
Yahoo, 60,000 views! Thanks for everyone’s interest in my restoration journey and all your support  :beerchug:

This is such a great forum and community.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #1288 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 06:47:47 PM »
 :beerchug: Congrats on 60,000 views and for all the information brought to the table because of your build.

L/M

Offline BDA

« Reply #1289 on: Thursday,November 07, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »
That is a great milestone, Certified! I think that milestone speaks for itself! It was/is a great topic with great discussions and a great result - your car!