Author Topic: Wheels across the pond.  (Read 4111 times)

Offline literarymadness

Re: Wheels across the pond.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,December 07, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
D'man: Registered today.  See you at the show if not before.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,December 07, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
  Absolutely,
   I’m gonna try to put some afterburners on the wrenching.  So glad not to be painting and polishing(much) :FUNNY:  priority jobs are the seat / interior upholstery and the rechroming of the taillight assemblies.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Friday,March 13, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »
   Not that I would have made it to this event with my car, I found out today it has been postponed.
Better to be safe!
Dakazman

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Friday,March 13, 2020, 11:56:08 PM »
Ok, this has nothing to do with cars but is a response to this cancellation and the reasons why it's happened.

Over here in the UK it all seems incredibly calm about this virus and yet Europe (and to some extent even Scotland)  is going into lockdown.  Having read some of the reports coming out of Italy I can see why, but for some reason we seem to think we know better. 

What's the general response on the ground over there ?  Our media is generally anti-Trump so I'm not convinced we get the true tale from your side of the pond, I suspect there's always some agenda behind USA reports so it would be good to hear from normal folks as to what you're thinking/doing/etc.

Brian

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 01:31:08 AM »
I've been skiing in France this week and am in Lyon Airport waiting to fly back to Manchester. I received a text last night telling me to work from home for two weeks! I do have a cough and a sore throat, but that's usual for me when I go skiing. No temperature, apart from when I've been skiing hard! There is nothing obvious here and I've only seen a couple of people with face masks on in the airport.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #6 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 02:16:35 AM »
I received a text last night telling me to work from home for two weeks !
Interesting, I suspect that's your employer taking precautions rather than government ruling. On the plus side, it'll give you a nice break to get over the skiiing !

From what I can see there are individual firms telling folks to work from home and the latest advice is to stay indoors for 7 days if you have symptoms, but I don't think there's a blanket "stay indoors for 14 days if you're arriving in the UK".

Brian

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #7 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 02:33:21 AM »
Yeah. We are American owned now, but I suspect it's mainly our local HR department are a bit paranoid!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 04:24:32 AM »
Delicate situation the Coronavirus. Politics aside (he’s not my President) the ability to control this pandemic without a vaccine is high risk. Community spread is very easy and it seems you either have a mild case or a severe case which requires hospitalization.

Here in the US the Center for Disease Control has run a number of scenarios that are very scary regarding number of people that will get infected and how many will die. Even the best case scenario demonstrates the need for hospital beds will be overwhelmed. The even bigger issue is the small number of ventilators available for those that will require them to stay alive. 

Our current President did not believe the virus would impact the US and didn’t get the government involved early enough to start the preparations for when transmission happened here in the states. We lost precious time in preparing test kits in mass quantity and now we are way behind.

The only way to control the community spread of the Coronavirus is to know where it is. We don’t know who is infected (except the bad cases) and the entire population is walking around spreading the virus at some level.

The last two weeks have seen a dramatic shift of public concern. We experienced a big run on hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes and spray disinfectant. Toilet paper and paper towels. All no longer available on the shelves of grocery stores weeks ago (N95 face masks were gone over a month ago).

Right after the President’s public address on TV Wednesday night, there was a rush for dry, canned and frozen food. The major urban cities had many empty grocery shelves and here in the North East of the US there are massive lines to get into the “big box” stores like Costco.

The CDC is saying to have a 14 day supply of food in your house in case of quarantine due to contracting the coronavirus. 

This week has seen a lot of  private schools, colleges and universities, and sports stadiums close down. For months. I live in Princeton NJ and the university closed the campus last week with everyone asked to leave. Next semester (right after spring break) will be entirely on line. No classes in person. None. My youngest son’s college in Georgia just extended spring break an additional week and then the spring semester is entirely on-line. No human interaction.

The global company I worked for is going completely remote (meaning work from home) starting Tuesday.  Luckily our company has heavily invested in technology and it’s feasible to operate this way.

As I write this local communities are shutting down restaurants, stores, schools, any place the general public can interact and potentially spread germs.  A person in Princeton was confirmed to have coronavirus AFTER attending a private party earlier this week.  47 additional people were infected.  Those people didn’t know it until 5 days later so they all also impacted community spread.

There is an annual Lotus event taking place today that I haven’t missed in many years. Always great to see all my friends after the long winter of no sports car driving. I’m not going.  Too risky to interact with a group of people in a confined space. And the bigger issue is  a lot of us are in the higher risk category, over 60 years old.

Unfortunately this pandemic will have a major impact on the world. Personal health and safety is paramount. The only way to stay healthy is to limit contact with others until large scale testing is available to the general public. We will experience significant financial cost during this time that will take years to recover from. Plan accordingly.

My own philosophy is to hunker down and stay home until this is under control.  With today’s tech it’s easy to stay connected to the rest of the world. There are a number of books I’ve been meaning to read. My wife and I are Spending more time together. We are looking at the world much differently and recognizing that we can enjoy the simple things.

Stay healthy everyone. Hopefully in 3 to 4 months this will be under some level of control.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 05:49:20 AM »
  Daytona Bike week ended early today. Disney and Universal and Cruise ships closed down.

Human life is job one .  Thanks and support should go out to all the worker bees . Doctor, nurses, food delivery personnel. People who can’t work from home.

Throwing blame around doesn’t help. My daughter is a nurse and pregnant , Still at work helping people, she stated more people died of the flu last week even with a vaccine available.
She has been thru this before with swine flu and Ebola.

Let’s all be safe.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 07:35:30 AM »
This situation is very confusing to me. As Certified points out, our health bureaucracy is issuing warnings and laying out scenarios that are pretty dire compared to recent pandemics. China, who presumably knows something about this, since that's where it originated, locked down an entire city of ten million (apologies if I get the population wrong) using pretty draconian methods.

But at the same time, South Korea, which has implemented aggressive testing seems to be handling it pretty well and infections and deaths are falling. China's new infections, and deaths I believe, are also falling (if you can believe their numbers). Italy, Spain, and Iran are having a tougher time of it.

Allowing that it's still early, this virus does not seem to be as severe as previous pandemics in my memory. In the US, he Swine Flu, for example, put 300,000 people in the hospital and killed over 12,000. That was about ten years ago. Nothing was shut down, there was no run on anything, and most people went about their lives as usual. So far, the number of cases and deaths worldwide are seem very low for all the fear. Every year, the common flues kill scores of thousands people in the US without fanfare. Here in the States, there have been so far less than four dozen fatalities from the coronavirus which were mostly about eighty years old.

So far, it seems like this is being over sold. Our press is mostly rabidly anti-Trump and some of their reporting feels like just more of the same. Having said that, you have to put a good deal of trust in those who study this sort of thing and they are, for the very most part, urging us to take this seriously so we should. We do not yet have enough data to estimate how many are likely infected and until we get better information, we're flying somewhat blind so playing it safe is a good plan.

As you might be able to tell from this post, I go both ways on this but I'm glad I'm retired so I can easily limit my exposure to this.
« Last Edit: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 09:05:10 AM by BDA »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 08:09:45 AM »
I’d really like to keep this site an oasis of non-politics, but that’s going to be tough given the subject matter here.

Me? I’m enjoying a relaxing self-quarantine/social distancing at home with my lovely wife. I had to cancel a scuba trip to Bonaire, but that’s about my only “hardship”. I work from home anyway, so this is easy for me. Not so for millions of Americans who work paycheck-to-paycheck and have their earnings shut down by this virus. I work in an unrelated branch of the medical field, but I have lots of friends who are doctors. They adamantly support the whole self-quarantine thing. It is about flattening the curve so we don’t overwhelm the limited medical infrastructure with a spike in cases that outnumber available ICU beds.

t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 09:32:48 AM »
Surf, I cancelled my dive trip to Little Cayman beginning of April. My own doing. I did not want to be on a remote island with no doctor, no hospital and the chance of being quarantined for weeks in another country with limited facilities during a pandemic.

So, for entertainment value, here are two of my dive videos from my last trip to Little Cayman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVfDgXeeYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJ3md81y5w

« Last Edit: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 09:34:51 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 09:51:49 AM »
I continue to be blown away by the production quality of your videos Certified. I had to look up Russian Frigate 356 to see how it got there. Very cool!
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #14 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 10:24:57 AM »
(snipped quote)
We experienced a big run on hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes and spray disinfectant. Toilet paper and paper towels. All no longer available on the shelves of grocery stores weeks ago (N95 face masks were gone over a month ago).

Right after the President’s public address on TV Wednesday night, there was a rush for dry, canned and frozen food. The major urban cities had many empty grocery shelves and here in the North East of the US there are massive lines to get into the “big box” stores like Costco.

The CDC is saying to have a 14 day supply of food in your house in case of quarantine due to contracting the coronavirus. 

This week has seen a lot of  private schools, colleges and universities, and sports stadiums close down. For months. I live in Princeton NJ and the university closed the campus last week with everyone asked to leave. Next semester (right after spring break) will be entirely on line. No classes in person. None. My youngest son’s college in Georgia just extended spring break an additional week and then the spring semester is entirely on-line. No human interaction.

Wow. That is a lot more than is going on over here although in my heart (head ?) I think you're on the right tracks.

We also had a big run on hand sanitiser a week or so ago and surprisingly also on toilet rolls for some reason that evades me, but it happened. 

This week, for the first time in my memory we did our weekly shop at Tesco (big over here) and the shelves were empty of pasta.  Tinned stuff was thin on the ground as well, another surprise as normally this place is like Costco.    I immediately made sure I'd got the important stuff (Bombay Sapphire) and called it quits at that. I work on the principle that if there's no alcohol sanitiser left, perhaps I should go for internal application and catch any germs by surprise  ;)

Being more serious, we live fairly remotely so are used to keeping freezers stocked and normally plan for at least a couple of weeks disruption over winter.  Our neighbours are the same but I guess most folks in the UK are used to topping up daily and that's why there's panic.

But we still don't have venue closures on the scale of Italy, Spain and now we can add you guys to the list as well.  Pubs, cafes, restaurants, schools, universities, cinema, etc, are open as normal which I'm starting to find a bit disconcerting.

It's not political (I voted for our current government) but I just wish they would stop acting like "we know best, everyone else is wrong".  Cynically I can't help but think it's more about the economy than public health. 

Brian