Author Topic: Headers and intake runners  (Read 2951 times)

Offline exarkun1178

Headers and intake runners
« on: Saturday,January 11, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »
So,  finally made it down to the shop today.  they've made progress...  the disassemble progress, but progress none the less.

Whats great about the decision to pull the body off, is i know what i have.  We found a few issues with the backbone - where the chassis makes the "T" at the front of the car. both left and right side from the bottom up 2" is split.  will need mending.  a few other spots will need gussets.

A surprise for us was the HUGE split in the manifold. Cylinder 2 exhaust has a 3" through and through crack.  The shop is happy to weld it, but want to know my options.  currently i am running the stock Renault S2 engine - No mods.  i do have a new Weber carb (see attached image.)

I see R&D has a steel header for the S2.  Banks looks like it too has a header (SS).  first question of course would be, if i go with the headers, what am i to do about the intake runners?  i dont see them.

Also, if i was to go headers id want them SS and  thermal ceramic coated - any thoughts of where i could get that done? 

Any one have the Banks version? thoughts?

what else is everyone using?

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
Re: Headers and intake runners
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,January 11, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
If you want to keep the weber carb you have now, you just cut the header flange in two parts and use that one in conjunction with the new exhaust manifold.

I'll be using Valerio's twin DCNF 40 intake manifold and I will be building my own custom exhaust manifold build to my engine (length, dia, etc).

I have been toying with the idea to draw up a twin DCOE 40/45 manifold for the wedge engine in a 3D CAD program. It could then be either 3D printed (but it has several downsides) or used to get them cast in aluminium. But to make these I would need some people to want them before I can arrange manufacturing.

On the 3D printing, this has quite a few upsides, they are made one by one, on the continent of the seller (postage is lower) by very accurate 3D printers and you can buy them straight from the manufacturer.

But the material options are a bit lower (due to the heat resistance requirements). Either alumide, but this is a gamble as its only stable up to 130°C. But stainless steel is an option to print them, stable to 900°C and very high resolution printing (even the threaded parts). But the cost would probably be too high per manifold so that making a production run to have them cast would be cheaper.

I have one week of exams left at Uni, afterwards I'll draw up a model of the manifold to see if this project is feasible.

On the side of the exhaust coating, http://www.zircotec.com/ is definitely the best in the business. But it comes at a price too, it won't be cheap. If you have a stainless exhaust you can use heat wrap, it works almost as good at a much lower price But don't ever use it on a steel manifold, it will rust out before you know it.

Kind regards,

Serge
http://sleurs-motorsport.com/
http://www.youtube.com/sleursmotorsport

Offline exarkun1178

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,January 12, 2014, 04:10:54 AM »
Serge,

Thank you,

The Banks catalog isnt always the easiest to use. I do think i found the SS option. it would be 800$ plush shipping so close to a grand i think.

R&D has a mild steel version for 340$

I still have the intake issue.  but to your point i could just cut off the exhaust part and uses intake as is....

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #3 on: Sunday,January 12, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
exarkun 1178
For what it's worth, I purchased the mild steel header from R&D and sent them to Jet Hot...look them up. I was very happy with the results. They will never discolor or rust, and have various color selections. I used the satin finish, there is a picture in the "what does your Europa look like" thread, or I can send you more info.ld 

Offline lotuseater

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,July 27, 2014, 02:02:01 AM »
Hi

Which version of Weber do you have in the photo? Despite my efforts, will possible have to give up on the Solex carb.

My chassis had similar issues which only showed up after shot blasting (even though a previous commercial garage/restorer had blasted and then painted over the cracks ! It had sat for over 10 yrs and I just spotted a few things that looked suspicious so investigated further.)

My manifold has similar crack and the more I try to find another, the more I find that have cracks. Probably going to cut mine to separate the inlet from the exhaust - dump the exhaust and replace with headers (possibly Banks, but the RD version looks good value even if I have to sip to UK ???)

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Monday,July 28, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »
Another option for header coating is PolyDyn Performance Coating. I haven't run the car yet so can't comment on the thermal performance but I can tell you that the coating is pretty tough. During my struggle in installing the two piece header on the TCS I managed to bang the header against the chassis or engine. No chips or scratches on the coating.

Can't say the same about the Jet Hot coating I used on my Elan header. The unsuccessful installation was a massive headache which resulted in several scratches on the header. I'm thinking about having it re-coated and trying again.

I also have the RD header for my S2 and will again use PolyDyn when I get around to installing it.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Monday,July 28, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »
Dry fit first, then coat.