Author Topic: Heater cable operation  (Read 1593 times)

Offline phil

Heater cable operation
« on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 06:51:14 AM »
Hello All
What is the correct operation for the heater cable, my TC heater valve seems to have a bias on it which keeps on returning it to the middle of its travel, I have tried altering the cable but it just pushes the heater knob outwards, it makes it look as though the heater is on!
Maybe it should be as it is, or it needs altering somehow, any ideas??
Happy Christmas to all.

Regards   Phil

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Heater cable operation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
Just bought some new ones.They seem to spring back to the central position, so the solid heater cable is needed to push them shut or pull them open.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 07:42:16 AM »
The heater valve is a little crazy. There's resistance to opening it if it's fully closed and fully closing it if it's open. As 4129R said, you need the solid cable but that isn't really enough to open it if closed and close it if open. You have to do that by hand - or that's been my experience with all the three I've heater valves I've had. I fully shut it by hand when the weather warms and then get it loose when the weather cools off. I have no idea why they did it that way!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 08:45:54 AM »
Cheap and readily available, that's why.  That particular design doesn't work very well on a whole raft of British vehicles.  If you're not particular about originality, fit a simple plastic VW/Audi one.

Offline kiwiokie

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »
I could not get the valve to budge using the heater knob but some Kroil sprayed on the valve and manually opening a closing the valve a few times seems to have freed things up but I think I will still resort to the manual approach next spring.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,December 24, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »
I must confess mine is in permanent "on" mode and the heater knob is in fully retracted mode because it's not connected at all.....    :-[

But hey, this is England and we're not known for tropical temperatures (or even sunshine) so on the few days where I notice it's getting toasty I switch on the air conditioning by opening the windows....   ::)

Brian