Author Topic: Heat shielding for rear luggage box  (Read 1268 times)

Offline invjbo

Heat shielding for rear luggage box
« on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 04:00:40 AM »
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding heat shielding/insulating for the rear luggage box. If i look in the parts manual I can see that there is a heat insulation under the luggage box. This is not present on my car and i havent had the luggage box in the car. So no pratical experience.

As there is a narrow distance between the muffler and the box and there is a fair amount of heat radiation upwards from the muffler, I fear that the box will be damaged by heat. I am wondering if i should add some kind of insulation directly on the muffler or if i should create som shielding with an air gap underneath the box.

Best regards
John
Lotus Europa S2 -71
VW Golf Gti -16
Bayliner 2455 -01
BMW S1000XR -16
Husqvarna Fe 450 -16

Offline jbcollier

Re: Heat shielding for rear luggage box
« Reply #1 on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 05:52:23 AM »
Check out DEI.  They, and others, offer lots of heat shielding options.  I wrapped the muffler with their "muffler shield kit" and used "floor and tunnel shield 2" on the bottom and front of the luggage box.

Offline invjbo

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 28, 2015, 01:50:06 AM »
Many thanks for the tip. I will look into their Products.

Best regards
John
Lotus Europa S2 -71
VW Golf Gti -16
Bayliner 2455 -01
BMW S1000XR -16
Husqvarna Fe 450 -16

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,December 01, 2015, 05:01:25 AM »
It is a wise precaution.  I was talking to another Europa owner at a show a few weeks ago and he showed me the damage that had just happened in his luggage compartment the day before.  Interestingly he has owned the car for years without a problem but the long drive to the car show the day before had almost set his luggage box on fire and melted his coat.  I googled heat shields and there are a few makers on ebay.  I haven't made/fitted my exhaust yet but I will be trying to shape the silencer into an oval and adding heat shielding to the bottom of the luggage compartment.

Offline invjbo

« Reply #4 on: Monday,January 18, 2016, 02:21:51 AM »
Well, I ended up ordering some Products from DEI. I am fairly satisfied with the result.

Best regards
John
Lotus Europa S2 -71
VW Golf Gti -16
Bayliner 2455 -01
BMW S1000XR -16
Husqvarna Fe 450 -16