Author Topic: 1974 TCS Stromberg 5-Speed on BaT  (Read 1133 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 1974 TCS Stromberg 5-Speed on BaT
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,January 22, 2023, 04:25:43 PM »
Besides being a very nice car, being restored by Bob Herzog is probably a significant factor in the bid.

I have to say that as nice as this car is, and it is very nice, I still think the nicest one ever on BaT is the current high sale (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-lotus-europa-twin-cam-5/). Just my $0.02.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #16 on: Monday,January 23, 2023, 11:08:30 AM »
Over $40K now ands will probably get a couple of last minute bids.
I noticed this, " acquired by the owner in 2021".
Confirming my contention that classic cars are being treated as "Assets" rather than automobiles.
I hope the next owner actually drives it.

Offline BDA

« Reply #17 on: Monday,January 23, 2023, 11:13:18 AM »
 :I-agree:

I can't say I don't understand why people buy cars like Ferraris and Ford GTs just to put them on blocks in their garage and sell them a year later, but I don't understand it at the same time. I buy cars to drive. Of course, I'm not as flush as those Ford GT owners but I don't think it would change. If I were to buy one, it would get a lot of mileage.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #18 on: Monday,January 23, 2023, 11:49:58 AM »
Sold for $46K.
Would it have gone to fifty with JPS stripes?  ;)

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Monday,January 23, 2023, 12:22:06 PM »
I think it might have. It was well restored by someone who has a presence in the community (he wrote a book that is for sale) and I think that helped a lot. As I said before, IMHO it was not the nicest one to go on BaT but it was at worst 3rd best.

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #20 on: Monday,January 23, 2023, 01:19:41 PM »
How is the windshield surround done? It looks very tidy.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #21 on: Monday,January 23, 2023, 02:31:58 PM »
The surround does look good!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,January 24, 2023, 06:29:18 AM »
Wow , sold for 46,000😁❤️

Offline Vegantune

• 46+ Years Europa TCS /JPS Owner/Fixer/Improver
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,January 24, 2023, 12:04:09 PM »
So the hammer fell at $46K. Definitely a high for a stock TCS. But clearly this is one very good looking car: complete, ready to show and enjoy the drive. More than that, it came with massive and detailed documentation covering a very extensive frame-off restoration history, done by a well-known and generally respected person who did most of the work, and then published a book all about this one car's evolution, featuring it on the cover.

All that certainly added a lot to the desirability and legacy, and likely ongoing value. I still think it is a lot to pay for a Europa, but at least there was good reason to go well above the market price, and more so compared to far too many hack/shade tree/incomplete flawed restoration jobs with questionable history, work, materials, and mostly a pile of inflated claims about rarity and/or condition that too often show up on eBay.  It also would have been even better if that restoration were fresh, and not showing quite so much of its subsequent road use. But its still well above what many Europas can claim for condition.

In the end, I can't really argue much with this final price. You should get what you pay for, and it should be fairly represented, rather than some seller hawking hyperbole about an imaginary market, hoping to con buyers into paying entirely too much for average or worse cars.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 25, 2023, 09:40:23 AM by Vegantune »
- A Norwegian Blue with beautiful plumage is still nothing but a dead parrot.

1973 Black Europa TCS/Vegantune JPS #180
1973 White Europa TCS
2012 Jaguar XJL 5.0 Supercharged
1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4
1994 Volvo 940 Shoebox Wagon
2005 Yamaha V Star
1998 Kawasaki XII Voyager

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday,January 25, 2023, 06:02:29 AM »
Besides being a very nice car, being restored by Bob Herzog is probably a significant factor in the bid.

Yes, I agree. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I may need to read the book again. I thought it was a decent backyard resto, rather than the high-end professional job that the selling price would suggest. Either way, it’s a nice car and ready to enjoy.

I get the notion of paying a premium for a very nice but less-than-perfect car (perfect in the concourse show car sense). I paid above market value for mine when I bought it, but after watching the various online venues for two years, when my car came up for auction, I knew it was the one, and  I went for it. That was 2010, and I paid $16,300 for an original paint, unrestored Special (clean and tidy, but it’s years and miles evident) at a time when a nicely restored JPS could be had for $15,000, and good drivers were 10-12,000. It even generated discussion on two message boards, that I noticed (This amused me a bit. In the high stakes game of collectable automobiles, I made a tiny ripple). It helped, though, that I made the purchase during one of those times when the world markets experienced a muscle spasm, and for a brief moment the Canadian dollar was on par with the greenback. Very fortunate coinciding of events, that.

I imagine this new sale will flush out a rash of Europas and Europa projects, all for sale at inflated prices.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,January 25, 2023, 05:30:12 PM by Bainford »
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,January 25, 2023, 08:04:23 PM »

Yes, I agree. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. I may need to read the book again. I thought it was a decent backyard resto, rather than the high-end professional job that the selling price would suggest. Either way, it’s a nice car and ready to enjoy.

I haven't finished Herzog's book yet but I agree that there is nothing (so far) that indicates an exemplary build. I think for build quality, I would take Certified's build (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1704.msg15486#msg15486) over Herzog's. I think we're going to have to see what other cars bring to really know if the market has turned. I think prices are on a general upswing from looking at the BaT price graph though you really have to dig deeper to factor out mods, condition, etc.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,January 25, 2023, 08:27:33 PM »
Well, it's said that one swallow does not a summer make, but perhaps it's a trend data point.
Here in Oz, classic cars of the same era and price range currently bring fairly stratospheric prices.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ford/falcon/gt-badge/

Offline BDA

« Reply #27 on: Thursday,January 26, 2023, 09:04:05 AM »
My goodness! Those are steep prices!

I was just wondering what Certifide’s car would have been bid to if it was on BaT at a similar time.

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #28 on: Friday,January 27, 2023, 10:50:23 AM »
Glad to see this one go for $46k. Makes me think how much mine is worth, definitely not worth anything less than $40k now. Especially since I rebuilt the engine with new everything. Putting the Dave bean water pump on to fix the leaking water pump issues I am having just to be done with everything.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #29 on: Friday,January 27, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »
The problem with selling your Europa even for huge money, you then no longer own a Europa!
I could fill a page with cars I regret selling.
Sure, it made sense at the time but now I really do kick myself.