Author Topic: 3 row aluminum radiator for $69!!  (Read 1917 times)

Offline BDA

3 row aluminum radiator for $69!!
« on: Wednesday,June 08, 2022, 02:43:23 PM »
On sale at ebay for $69! And it's in the US!! https://www.ebay.com/itm/154673350644?hash=item24034007f4:g:zJ4AAOSw86tiPDb4

No affiliation, yada, yada, yada...

I thought this was an incredible price for those who are building or upgrading their cars. It looks very similar to one I bought several years ago for much more!

Offline jbcollier

Re: 3 row aluminum radiator for $69!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 08, 2022, 02:57:19 PM »
That's insane.  You could practically buy one and sell it for scrap for more than that.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 08, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »
It's actually more insane than that! I kept flipping through my search "lotus cap" (I was amazed what it considered was related to those two words but we've all been there) and there were several other sellers selling the same radiators for about the same price. I think a lot of them were made and not sold so they're trying to get rid of the excess.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 08, 2022, 10:08:40 PM »
US$69.00 certainly is cheap! but the seller is actually located in China according to eBay.

There appears to be two main versions of these Chinese ally radiators - 62mm thick and 86mm thick.
Understandably the 86mm ones are more expensive (often much more) but I've not seen any complaints of either version.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 08, 2022, 10:34:58 PM »
You guys are very lucky with that deal, at that price I'd buy one just to fit when the mood took me. The seller doesn't ship to the UK and on Ebay UK even the thinner ones are more than double the price.

Snap their hands off !

Brian

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,June 09, 2022, 06:36:13 AM »
Well I ordered one as it was too simple to pass up so  when it arrives I will let you know what it is like

Offline s2europa

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,June 09, 2022, 02:00:30 PM »
And you can make an offer and get it for less!

Offline Vegantune

• 46+ Years Europa TCS /JPS Owner/Fixer/Improver
« Reply #7 on: Monday,June 20, 2022, 06:54:13 PM »
Seller gives three dimensions for overall size (19.68" x 10.51" x 3.54"), but only two (15-1/2" x 9-7/8") for core, with NO dimension given for thickness and no mention of tube size. This seller's photos seem chosen to disguise the inset of core front and back into frame compared to other seller pictures of same unit based on details including fan bracket design and similar prices that show a visibly deep core inset.

Shrink the core by much, and it does cut material costs/unit so you can sell cheap. But you end up with less cooling fin total area, and shrink tube width to fit giving less surface and coolant flow, all reducing heat exchange capability. To make matters far worse, aluminum only has 61% of the thermal conductivity of copper, so you theoretically need around 40% more surface area in an aluminum radiator just to equal the BTU transfer of a given copper unit. 

I will be interested to hear what actual finned core thickness and tube IDs are when these start arriving. But if other pictures tell the story, my estimate is core is at most 2" to as little as 1-3/4". By comparison, I have a 3-row aluminum, but very different design with 3-1/2" wide frame. And that core is dead flush front and back under single sheet frame lip. The results is a full 3"+ core, which also allows for wide 5/8" x 1/8" ID tubes with space for and aft of each. So there are some really good aluminum ones made. But is this particular eBay offer one of them, or just OK for cooler locales outside the US?

These cars tends to run hot for most owners, more so here in the US, and worse for higher hp engine changes. With places like NYC and Fargo repeatedly hitting 100°F summer temps, and Minneapolis/St. Paul hitting 102°F today (06/20), never mind routine daily summer triple digits down south and west, if this deal was a full 3"or larger core, or very close given a 3.54" overall width claim (which I would also like to hear confirmation from someone who bought one), plus nice large tubes, it may well be a super bargain. But if it is anything like what other seller's photos are showing of this type, I would want both core width and tube specs before ordering. Frame width only tells me the core must be smaller, but how deeply inset is a big question.

If you got one of these, measure the core, estimate the tubes (look inside either host connection), and share the actual widths. That way we will know if it is a deal, or a dud. And keep in mind for comparison, your factory radiator may be old school with straight fins, but it does have a 3.8" core with tons of fin area to shed heat, unfortunately crippled in part by a weak fan and a somewhat leaky shroud. I suspect if you put a good fan (read: 10" Spal, although design constraints require a less effective pusher, not cheap China pancake) along with a good seal around the shroud on your stock unit, and this aluminum has the small core I think it does, your original can equal and likely outperform this eBay deal given the same fan setup.

Core (frame minus core inset front and back) and tube ID size, anyone?

« Last Edit: Sunday,June 26, 2022, 08:54:48 AM by Vegantune »
- A Norwegian Blue with beautiful plumage is still nothing but a dead parrot.

1973 Black Europa TCS/Vegantune JPS #180
1973 White Europa TCS
2012 Jaguar XJL 5.0 Supercharged
1975 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4
1994 Volvo 940 Shoebox Wagon
2005 Yamaha V Star
1998 Kawasaki XII Voyager

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,June 21, 2022, 07:02:01 AM »
I bought one and had my mechanic inspect it and he says it is very good value...welds are fantastic
Recoring my old one would be far too expensive
Will update when it is in the car

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,June 21, 2022, 07:30:36 AM »
You will need to buy adaptors for the otter switch, drill new holes for the two studs, and cut those studs down, they are too long.

I bought 4. Much cheaper that refurbishing the originals.

The radiator includes the fan too.

Offline Bud

• 416-949-2778
« Reply #10 on: Sunday,June 26, 2022, 08:27:41 AM »
Where do you get the adaptors for the Otter Switch

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #11 on: Sunday,June 26, 2022, 09:12:57 AM »
I got the new screw in Otter switches from :-

https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/otter-switch-126497.

Then you need a brass adaptor, as the Otter switch is too small.

I seem to remember they were BSP threads.

Something like this:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273087614630

At least they won't fall out like the original push in switches.

I fit a manual over-ride switch as well, basically a wire from the Otter switch to a manual toggle switch, to earth on the chassis at the base of the dashboard where the other wires go to earth.
« Last Edit: Sunday,June 26, 2022, 09:26:23 AM by 4129R »

Offline BDA

« Reply #12 on: Sunday,June 26, 2022, 09:30:35 AM »
IIRC, temp switches for some Toyotas match the threads in the radiator. A helpful parts guy can help you choose the right one with the temp range you prefer. I’ve found the guys at NAPA stores are usually very helpful. There is another option - a fan controller. They have a temperature probe that sits between the fins of the radiator and allow you to adjust when the fan comes on and off. They usually include a relay. You can probably get them at your parts store, Amazon, or eBay.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,June 26, 2022, 08:15:39 PM »
There's also adjustable otter switches that allow you to change the fan cut-in point.
Here's the Davies, Craig one but there's plenty of knock-offs about.

https://daviescraig.com.au/product/mechanical-thermatic-fan-switch-12v-24v-0401/mechanical-thermatic-fan-switch-12v-24v-0401

« Last Edit: Monday,June 27, 2022, 10:23:12 AM by GavinT »

Offline Blitzen

« Reply #14 on: Sunday,June 26, 2022, 09:22:26 PM »
I paid a lot more for mine, wish I had waited.  :(    I got an otter switch that doesn’t need an adapter.  I believe it was a match for vw rabbit/golf.