Author Topic: Really nice ‘71 S2 for sale on BaT  (Read 1081 times)

Offline BDA

Really nice ‘71 S2 for sale on BaT
« on: Wednesday,August 04, 2021, 06:52:07 PM »
There’s a really nice ‘71 S2 on sale on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-lotus-europa-13/

I haven’t read the entire description so I don’t know all the mods but the mods I saw were tasteful and tastefully done. One that I found interesting was TCS door sills. The thing that was interesting to me is that, while I prefer them on TCs to the point that I think a TC looks like it’s missing something if it doesn’t have them, but for whatever reason, I think think they look a little out of place on an S2.

Having said all that, it’s a really pretty car. It just showed up and it’s already up to $11,000. It’s a nice start.

Offline literarymadness

Re: Really nice ‘71 S2 for sale on BaT
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 04, 2021, 10:53:51 PM »
I actually think the sills on this S2 decrease the Bread van factory and help the lines of the car. And despite the fact that I am a TCS owner, I think the TC without the sills add a more aggressive stance to the Europa, a little more racier, where the sills on the TCS make it look more like a GT. To me each version has its own vibe and a positive one at that.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 02:01:12 AM »
..... And despite the fact that I am a TCS owner, I think the TC without the sills add a more aggressive stance to the Europa, a little more racier, where the sills on the TCS make it look more like a GT.
Interesting comment - I couldn't help referring back to the picture posted by "Exlimey" a couple of days ago.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 06:30:34 AM »
BDA, I agree that Special sill covers generally don't look right on an S1/S2, but for some reason they look great on this one. Along with that shade of blue and those steel wheels/hub caps, this is one beautiful Europa. There are a few things I'd change, but I would love to put this in my garage. A lovey little Lotus.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 07:12:22 AM »
I should clarify. I don’t think the special sills look bad on that S2, just a little out of place or unusual as though in my mind they belong on a Europa with its sails cut down. I might have a similar reaction to a TC with its warts (I actually like them but not having them wouldn’t spoil the look for me) removed. It surprised me that I would make that distinction without thinking about it!

Ok, I think I’m  :deadhorse:

I hope he gets a good price. It seems recent classic Lotus auctions there were a bit disappointing.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 07:22:11 AM »
Here is an S2 with a similar exterior color sans TCS sills.  Though the one on eBay looks French Blue vs Wedgewood Blue for the BAT Europa. I think I like it better with the sills, at least on a Blue car S2. The one on eBay with red interior has a Superman vibe.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274876551517?hash=item3fffeb515d:g:4pIAAOSwdf9g-Zcn
« Last Edit: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 07:30:11 AM by literarymadness »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 08:26:04 AM »
I'm sure it is a nice car but...

No driving video -- get serious, again!?! .  Seller states he is away from the car during the auction and can only answer questions from memory.

P.T. Barnum was right.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 08:40:02 AM »
It's all personal preference. I think the door sills finishes off the car for both the TCs and the S2s. Some of you may prefer the exposed rivets and the wavy fiberglass edges, I don't. This is the reason I bought my S2. The sill were added by the PO. Having the sills color matched to the car with the chrome strip helps.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »
 :I-agree:
On another subject - Please tell me about your windscreen fitting - why no chrome trim?

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »
I can't speak for the owner but from time to time (and seemingly more often in the past), some things are just not available so you just have to make do with what you can get. Lately, most things seem to either be available or very close approximations are available. For example, r.d. enterprises sells the chrome windshield trim. It looks A LOT like the original but it is actually a little more narrow so he had corners made that to fit the trim.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 12:56:09 PM »
Joji: Your S2 looks fantastic :beerchug:

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
Nicely done, Grumblebuns!!! She really is a beauty!

I'm amazed that yet another Europa (so far) does not have a driving and cold start video! I would think that would just be part of collecting historical info, snap shots, receipts, etc. for sale.

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
... Though the one on eBay looks French Blue vs Wedgewood Blue for the BAT Europa. ...
The BAT Europa is painted in Olympic Blue according to the description. Wedgewood Blue is an even lighter blue which I like a lot. It is a very rare colour on any Europa.
Two Lotus which I believe to be Wedgewood Blue:

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 02:30:58 PM »
Oops! I didn't catch that in the description. But if you look at Photo 2 and then photo 3, they look like two different shades of blue with Photo 3 looking like Olympic and Photo 3 looking like Wedgewood. Without reading the description, I assumed Wedgewood because Wedgewood Blue was an official S2 colour option and Olympic Blue was a late 1974 1/2 TCS only colour addition. Only 40 TCS were factory painted Olympic Blue.
« Last Edit: Thursday,August 05, 2021, 02:37:40 PM by literarymadness »

Offline BDA

« Reply #14 on: Monday,August 09, 2021, 01:44:21 PM »
I’m reiterating JB’s earlier post about not having a driving video. I posted on the auction that the seller really needs to post at least a driving video. I figured we would come up with one and post it but  he replied that he would if he could but he’s away from the car till after the auction ends.

WHAT!? Somebody took all those pictures of the car in preparation for the auction and didn’t think to take a video!? That person is just not serious and sadly another Europa will likely go at a depressed price.