Author Topic: Late 72 TC project for sale eBay.  (Read 1616 times)

Offline literarymadness

Late 72 TC project for sale eBay.
« on: Sunday,March 28, 2021, 10:50:22 PM »
The Vin says it was built August, 1972 which was the last month the Twin Cam was built. Production for the Special began the end of August which explains the 1973 registration. It would have been invoiced September or even early October.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Lotus-Europa/143990587160?hash=item218681ff18:g:H5sAAOSwTMxgX8dl

Offline Dilkris

Re: Late 72 TC project for sale eBay.
« Reply #1 on: Monday,March 29, 2021, 12:23:29 AM »
Well she is all there, (ashtray in the rear luggage tray - but maybe broken - or someone knows the value of it and took it out for safe keeping!), appears unmolested by PO's - I wish they turned up more often like this in the UK and I wish even more that mine was in this condition when I took it on - what are the costs of bringing a car like this back to the UK? Any members done it? Is it a headache? Expensive?   

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #2 on: Monday,March 29, 2021, 08:37:21 AM »

Offline Lotsof 3146 R

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,March 31, 2021, 09:50:07 AM »
Shipping and import cost (5% vat) from Houston to uk London gateway cost me about £1500 one year ago.
Then I imported another car from Florida (Jensen Healey) and that ended up at £2200
It’s not so difficult and everyone was helpful.
Tax for a historic car is 5% vat only.
Registration is £55

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 31, 2021, 10:36:00 AM »
Shipping and import cost (5% vat) from Houston to uk London gateway cost me about £1500 one year ago.
Then I imported another car from Florida (Jensen Healey) and that ended up at £2200
Registration is £55
So ball park  - with contingencies and "loaded" - lets call it £3000 - (US$4200?) - am I missing something here because it seems to me that guys like me "over the pond" should be buying our resto/project cars stateside. OK, not right hand drive maybe - but, that conversion is hardly of significance on on a Europa. I'm sorely tempted to go this route for my next one. Anything I'm missing?         

Offline Lotsof 3146 R

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,March 31, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
Registration is £55
So ball park  - with contingencies and "loaded" - lets call it £3000 - (US$4200?) - am I missing something here because it seems to me that guys like me "over the pond" should be buying our resto/project cars stateside. OK, not right hand drive maybe - but, that conversion is hardly of significance on on a Europa. I'm sorely tempted to go this route for my next one. Anything I'm missing?       

Nope - but things can be not as described- things can go wrong- it’s unknown how one of my tyres got shredded in transport but no other damage- if you’re happy with the risk it’s a great adventure

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,March 31, 2021, 11:37:19 AM »

[/quote]
Nope - but things can be not as described- things can go wrong- it’s unknown how one of my tyres got shredded in transport but no other damage- if you’re happy with the risk it’s a great adventure
[/quote]

:I-agree: I think every Europa project car "goes wrong" in some way  :FUNNY:   - it still has to be an attractive base line for a refurb though - no? Let's face it - by the time you've finished a Europa rebuild, there isn't much left of what you started with.  ;) ;)   

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #7 on: Friday,April 02, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
Back in the 80's I sent several containers of LBC's back to England and Australia.
Some US cars went to AU too.
The most important thing for getting a car shipped is that it be packed properly, one TR4 that I did not personally handle arrived broken in two!

Done right four LBC's will fit into a single container, this lowers shipping cost considerably.
You just need a competent person to load and secure them.
Even easier to load two only at floor level.
Most cars are around 16' long so two in a 40' container is simple.
For best peace of mind you could ship a Europa in it's own 20' container but I expect you would be paying more.
Fill the rest of the container with US sourced goodies for resale to recover some of your expense.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #8 on: Friday,April 02, 2021, 10:42:13 PM »
Sorry - what is a LBC?   :confused:

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #9 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 01:01:18 AM »
Little British Car?

Offline BDA

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 05:14:21 AM »
Correct! Very common TLA (three letter acronym) here in the States among the MG crowd.

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #11 on: Saturday,April 03, 2021, 08:55:34 AM »
Over hear it used to be London Brick Company!