Author Topic: JPS Europa for sale on BaT  (Read 2241 times)

Offline BDA

Re: JPS Europa for sale on BaT
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,January 02, 2021, 12:42:42 PM »
As you say, the best thing is knowledgeable comments!

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,January 02, 2021, 01:04:18 PM »
With the exception of an occasional outlier, BAT prices are fairly close to Hagerty price values which are non-biased and based 100% on actual sales and auction wins not speculation or asking prices. Hagerty currently values a #1 Porsche 356A Roadster at $199,000 down from $220,000 a year ago.  It values a #3 condition BMW Isetta at $23,300 and its lowest #4 at $15,300 which is also way down over values from 2 years ago $27,500 and $20,000 respectively.

Hagerty shows an upward trend for the Europa Twin Cam with $41,000 for a #1 (Concours) condition car (similar to what Certified got for his #1) and $28,700 for a #2 (Excellent) condition. Add 10% for Special, 10% for 5 speed, and 10% JPS.  Doing the math, the 1974 Special/ 5 Speed that sold last week on BAT ($33,5000) was a #2 car and matches what Hagerty said it was worth. Hagerty values a #3 (Good) conditions car  at $17,000 and a #4 (Fair) at $11,200. If you go back and compare BAT Europa sales car by car, you will find most of those number will match. The problem is when sellers try to pass their cars off as one condition higher than they should be: a #3 Good car for a #2 (Excellent) asking-price or an Excellent #2 being marketed as a #1 Concours (better than new).  Very few cars are true #1 (Concours).

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #17 on: Sunday,January 03, 2021, 08:45:48 AM »
the problem i have with that grading system (#1 through #5) is that rarely any one car is exactly a #1, #2, and so on, example.   They always seem to fall inbetween those numbers and thus the varying degree of monetary value associated.   When you say owners "bump" their value opinion up a notch, has a lot to do with not trying to sell your car too short.  Owner's value their car higher due to sentimental reasons too.
all in all, a hard process to accomplish, thus the 3rd party independent non-affiliated professional valuation expert opinion is probably more honest and market reflective.
is that a mouthful or what?  :))
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,January 03, 2021, 10:41:49 PM »
All I know for certain is that classic and even many "Blea, never did like those" old cars are now insanely priced.
Just cannot justify the claimed value, even accounting for inflation a $16,000 Isetta is still an Isetta.
One of those cars that Germans actually buried in back yards to hide their shame once their economy and manufacturing base improved enough to produce better cars!*

Glad I grabbed my Europa when I did, not a TC as I prefer the TS, and have turned down surprisingly high offers on it even as a project.
I've sold far too many cars I wish I had back, finally figured out that selling is a bit silly as you then no longer own the car and are unlikely to be able to find another in similar or better condition for less money.
So I no longer sell anything that was not obtained for that purpose.
The Europa does not get sold so long as I am able to drive it, at any price, and probably not even then.

*Yes, they did, I've know more than one old codger who's family did so.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #19 on: Monday,January 04, 2021, 10:16:02 PM »
Micro cars like the Isetta, Messerschmitt, Gogomobil, Peel and many others have had a cult following for years and prices reflect that following.  They symbolize a Postwar Era in Europe the way that Chrome and Tailfins reflect Postwar America. Most were destroyed and to collectors they fit in a category few cars do: they show a sense of humor. My father was a car collector and owned some serious 50's American gems, but for whatever reason he also had a BMW Isetta 300 and a Isetta 600. As a little kid that Isetta 300 was my favorite.  He died when I was nine years old and I remember that car the most out of all of them.  I carry that love today for small sportscars.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,January 05, 2021, 08:43:32 AM »
I have always liked the micro-cars as well, and especially dig the Isettas. There have been a few times when I contemplated stewardship of a decently sorted Isetta 300. I think it would be a fun little car.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,January 05, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
We saw a Messerschmitt at a car show a few years back and the guy let my sons sit in it.  8)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,January 05, 2021, 03:34:29 PM »

It's a classic Viet bodge and the seller, and BAT, are in complete denial.
Had to LOL at this. Looked at some of the many comments on the auction.
I'm not up on Vespa's, but have run into a couple guys that were coming to Vietnam to buy and import them back to the States , saying it was very profitable. The older (don't see them too much these days)Vespa's there have, let's say, been rode hard and put up wet, to say it nicely.
 I've got a relative there who 'makes' parts for 'restoration', and spares, and for manufacturers. Is 'interesting' how they do things with motorcycles and cars.

Offline BDA

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday,January 06, 2021, 01:05:12 PM »
It finally went for $32,500. Not as much as I expected since a "regular" TCS recently sold for $33,500.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday,January 06, 2021, 01:29:14 PM »
I agree. It was interesting that is was completely different set of buyers from the auction last week.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,January 06, 2021, 03:10:10 PM »
 Very surprised it didn’t sell for more. I think the bent radius arm scared people away. So much for my prediction of reaching close to $40K.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,January 06, 2021, 04:58:56 PM »
The car's interior was getting on the worn and tatty side of original.  Especially as the exterior had obviously been repainted.