Author Topic: JPS Europa for sale on BaT  (Read 2240 times)

Offline BDA

JPS Europa for sale on BaT
« on: Wednesday,December 30, 2020, 05:23:21 PM »
There's a really pretty JPS for sale on BaT. It should go for a lot! https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-lotus-europa-twin-cam-jps/

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
Re: JPS Europa for sale on BaT
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,December 30, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »
Listed in the Lotus Europa Central registry. Looks like three prior owners and has been sitting for some time. 12 k Miles on clock since 2009...sold for 20k in 2007. Seems not much was done as same issues with cosmetics, doors, seats are mentioned.
Dealer advert...https://www.ambassadorautomobileco.com/used-vehicle-1973-lotus-europa-jps-edition-c-86.htm   
« Last Edit: Wednesday,December 30, 2020, 07:34:19 PM by Lou Drozdowski »

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,December 30, 2020, 07:44:39 PM »
They apparently did all the usual stuff for a car that was sitting up, replaced fluids, hoses, rebuilt carbs, etc.

It doesn't appear to have been restored because of the light rust on the transfer tubes, suspension, etc. The dash isn't that bad for an original dash so I'm thinking it's spent nearly all it's life indoors.

One of the radius arms got bent somehow but there doesn't appear to be any collateral fiberglass damage. It would be interesting to know how that happened.

The dash and radius arm aside (those are pretty big jobs to replace but I think they can be done when it's convenient. It's a really nice car.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 12:35:39 AM »
With any luck, there won't be any of the typical BAT negative Europa redundancies. They just seem to crawl out of the woodwork when a Europa comes up for auction.
1.) The first thing I'd do is replace those Strombergs with Webers.
2.) I had one but it burst into flames.
3.) Make sure you fit.
4.) Always wanted one since I was a kid but then....(fill in the blank).
5.) My friend (or neighbor) had one and....(fill in the blank).

And most of the negativity generally comes from people who have no intention of bidding. I have no problem with experts of any marque pointing out potential flaws that might need fixing, but telling the prospective owner what wheels to put on, what color to paint it, or what modifications to make and so on. Maybe it's just me but I don't believe in telling buyers how to spend "their" money.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 12:37:34 AM »
One of the radius arms got bent somehow but there doesn't appear to be any collateral fiberglass damage. It would be interesting to know how that happened.

:I-agree: Damage very clear on photo's 179 and 181 - these are quite substantial fabrications so what ever bent that was of some significance.  :confused:
Somebody will post the cause I'm sure.
Looks a really good car for a base line - I wish they turned up like this more often in the UK. 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #5 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 04:25:06 AM »
I’m guessing It should sell in the $40K range, despite the bent radius arms (which aren’t hard to replace and I would do right away if it was my car). I’m guessing the doors droop as the replacement “hinges” are included in the deal.

Who ever buys this will have an “investment car” for the future.

This Europa is “local” but I’ve never seen it before. Always amazed at what is stashed in peoples garages and barns. I do wonder what the “seller” bought it for as it wasn’t running when he bought it (no gas in it).
« Last Edit: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 04:29:04 AM by Certified Lotus »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 06:27:31 AM »
The radius arm damage is classic lift damage.  As has been seen, you can sometimes get away with lifting on the radius arm very close to the uprights but not there.  It's an instant fold.  It seems foolish to me to try and sell the car with such obvious damage.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #7 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 08:47:04 AM »
I’m guessing It should sell in the $40K range, despite the bent radius arms (which aren’t hard to replace and I would do right away if it was my car). I’m guessing the doors droop as the replacement “hinges” are included in the deal.

Who ever buys this will have an “investment car” for the future.

This Europa is “local” but I’ve never seen it before. Always amazed at what is stashed in peoples garages and barns. I do wonder what the “seller” bought it for as it wasn’t running when he bought it (no gas in it).

Glen, I really hope you are right about the price range of around 40k. Yes, there are some normal issues for a car that has been sitting for so long...as the new owner, you would most likely go through a priority (safety) list first and then deal with the other items as the budget permits.

Getting back to the 40k...

To bring this one lets say to level 1-2 concours condition and knowing all the parts are there already and not counting a major overhaul to the engine, trans or running gear.

Dash, Upholstery, rubber trim, carpets, seat belts, bushings, bearings, under body etc...
I could envision dumping another 5-10 k easy into it, with my own labor. Add the existing radius and door pins and this would tend qualify her as a frame off project.

Since this is a dealer, and a flip...
I'm afraid it will not fetch past 28-30 on a good day..
I hope I'm wrong...

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 09:05:02 AM »
Concours grade 1?  Add a zero to your figures: 50 to 100k.  As the car left the assembly line would be a solid 3.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #9 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 09:19:37 AM »
Concours grade 1?  Add a zero to your figures: 50 to 100k.  As the car left the assembly line would be a solid 3.

jbcollier...Yes, my point exactly...double the 40k price when all is done.
That's why I don't think (at least to me) it' worth more than 25-28...

Anyway...good luck to the lucky bidder & you have a Happy New year! 

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #10 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 02:59:00 PM »
Lou, in normal times your price range is spot on. I’ve been watching BAT sales since the pandemic started and selling prices are way beyond what I would have imagined. As long as the stock market keeps going up people are feeling rich. And all those rich guys have a lot of time on their hands “working from home”.  Seems everyone is buying the car they always wanted when they were younger.

If your thinking about selling your car now is the time to do it. 4 months from now may be too late for this cycle.

Offline BDA

« Reply #11 on: Thursday,December 31, 2020, 07:39:41 PM »
I claim no ability to accurately price any car much less a Europa but you may be right, Certified. The price of this JPS just turned $15,000 and there are still almost six days left on the auction.

Offline Richard48Y

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,January 02, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
Well, with this https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-bmw-isetta-300/ sitting at $16K the JPS project ought to hit at least $30K.
Then there is the $200+K Porsche 356, clearly the BAT cars are often not sold for their actual value as automobiles but some nebulous lust based on bragging rights and perceived future potential profit.
I note that several of the cars are repeat sales, some for the third time.
I enjoyed BAT a LOT more back when they actually sold neat project cars, now it's really BAB, Bring A Brinks (Armored truck full of cash).
Unlike so many BAT buyers I intend to actually drive my cars.
« Last Edit: Saturday,January 02, 2021, 11:46:05 AM by Richard48Y »

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,January 02, 2021, 10:56:10 AM »
 :I-agree: Well said! I do like the site better than other auction sites because it keeps a record of prices as well as all the pictures so it makes a relatively decent data point to the value of a similar car.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,January 02, 2021, 11:56:45 AM »
The best thing is the knowledgeable comments.

The worst are those by people who don't have a clue.

Check this auction out:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-vespa-vbb-150/

It's a classic Viet bodge and the seller, and BAT, are in complete denial.