Author Topic: 1970 S2 on BaT  (Read 871 times)

Offline BDA

Re: 1970 S2 on BaT
« Reply #15 on: Sunday,July 19, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
My favourite engine sound, bar none, is the Aston Martin 6 cylinder.  A short stroke engine so it revs cleanly and note reverberates up and down your spine.  &$% amazing.

You'll like this then. Factory works Aston DB4GT. Skip ahead to the test drive AFTER the tune-up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffH6hFfqyDM
That is a great video from a very interesting channel. In one, it looked like they might have a Lotus of some description but the camera panned too quickly to be sure.

When he was tuning the carbs, I thought he was being silly balancing them using the hose method but a view of the air box showed there wasn't enough room to use anything else.

As I looked around at other videos, I found they had one with the same guy tuning a Miura in front of a live audience. What did he use to balance the carbs of that V-12? Not the manometer he threw away but a length of heater hose! I'm in awe of this guy. Here's a link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gltlKhTvIL0).

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #16 on: Sunday,July 19, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
  Ferrari's allure disappears quickly when you work on them -- or maybe it's the owners who are so #$% annoying (not all of them, I know, but...). 

One of the things I like about driving the Lotus is the camaraderie of other classic/sports car owners. A while back I saw a Lamborghini Aventador closing in rapidly in the rear view mirror, so I pulled over to let it pass. Turns out the guys in the Lambo just wanted to get a look at the Lotus and give me a thumbs-up. Ferrari owners seldom give a second glance. It is disappointing to hear that attitude occurs even in universally nice Canada.
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,July 19, 2020, 05:06:20 PM »
No where is universally nice.  We just hide under a veneer of politeness.  Why just the other day I talked to my annoying neighbour and I pointedly never asked after his mother.  Who knew what depths Evil could plumb.

I used to work in a Peugeot/Citroën shop.  We had one grumpy client.  Everyone else was wonderful.  Moved to as Jag shop.  We had one (1) nice client.  Everyone else was awful.  You could say there was nothing wrong, no charge, hand them a $100 and they would still cuss you and the car out.  Some kind of image thing going on I never figured out.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #18 on: Sunday,July 19, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »
Not advocating you buy an Aston 6, BTW.  The stock set-up has you adjusting the valves by swapping followers and grinding valve stems.  In other words, the head has to come out!  Many are modified to take Jag shims, thank goodness.

Offline BDA

« Reply #19 on: Sunday,July 19, 2020, 05:33:28 PM »
I'm nearing the end of my recent valve adjusting adventure. I can relate. Post to follow...

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #20 on: Friday,July 24, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
$17,750.

Someone over paid I think.  I asked two times about the condition of the chassis, especially at the front, and got no response from the seller.  Answered every other question.  Told long stories about every imaginable subject.  But no photos or comments on the chassis.

Hope it works out for the buyer.  It certainly has for the seller.

Offline BDA

« Reply #21 on: Friday,July 24, 2020, 03:29:37 PM »
It looks like the shape of the interior and the clean engine compartment swayed the bidders. I thought it was a bit high, too.