Author Topic: TC on ebay  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Sparkrite

TC on ebay
« on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 01:13:26 AM »
As I am new to these cars and still looking to buy my first one,I would appreciate what you guys think of this one. And as important for me what about the price. I can turn a spanner so any work does not put me off.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Lotus-Europa/293405871812?_trksid=p2504926.m5232.l9681

Offline Clifton

Re: TC on ebay
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 01:59:20 AM »
Seems like a lot for a car that needs a full restore.  A car like this would save years of time and more in money https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-lotus-europa-twin-cam-7/

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 04:42:00 AM »
There is an old saying, spend the money to buy the best sports car you can afford. Anything less will be a project.

Having looked at many Europa TC & TC specials over the years before I bought mine, the brown Europa your looking at is pretty much the price range for a car that has all the parts but is in need of a restoration (as long as the chassis is in good condition). $10K more gets you a completely different car and you will easily spend $10K on a restoration.

If your like me and want a restoration project I would buy it. Rebuilding a sports car has a great satisfaction to it and you will know every square inch of the car.

If you are easily distracted or get frustrated don’t buy a project car. Plus you will need a garage space for at least a year to work on it.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 05:58:56 AM »
I agree about buying the best will save you in the long run but I want a bit of a project. I can make the car to how I want it and get to know it as well. This one recent sold on ebay for a lot less. I know its a s2 and less valuable but the TC can't be worth more than double so my guess would be $8,000 tops.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Lotus-Europa-Base/143436331293?hash=item216578b91d:g:sjcAAOSwDEhdxguF#vi__app-cvip-panel

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 06:22:39 AM »
This '73 TC on Ebay happens to be mine I am selling, so thanks for posting/inquiring about it.   The "Buy it Now" price is a starting point and i'm certainly receptive to "realistic" offers.   When comparing to other projects or finished restorations, please keep this in mind about my car....   It is COMPLETE and the Big Valve engine RUNS !!!   It has one family ownership history and unmolested (except for paint job).  With effort to refurbish the brake system, you could have a rolling/driving restoration project and work on it as you go.  So from all the junk I've seen out there on the Europa market, this one stands out IMHO as lots of bang for the buck.

and hey, as an added bonus, you get the funky pin striping for FREE !!
:)  :)  :)
« Last Edit: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 07:30:50 AM by tedtaylor »
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline Clifton

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 09:22:02 AM »
You can use a Craigslist search engine like Adhuntr.com too and search everywhere. Might be harder to ship to you from a craigslister though. If you are buying sight unseen and shipping to the UK, get lots of frame pics and body from the back side. People tend to take pics of the good stuff.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice Clifton, but are the rust prone areas on the frame not easily visible even with a photo of the underneath. Here is another car I have been trying to buy but it's much worse than it looks from the photos and the owner wants too much.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »
If there are good frame photos you would see the rust. If there was rust, someone might only show a picture or two of a not so rusty area. I picked mine up on the west side of the country. No rust here but a car that sits out can have a lot of spider cracks. This may not be shown in pics unless there are good close ups. I found my car 1,200 miles away. Seller sent what I thought were good pics. The seller took pics of everything but the repaired damage that was obvious if I had seen the car in person. Price was good so I still got it but had it been a $10k plus car and it was shipped to me it would have been different.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice Clifton, but are the rust prone areas on the frame not easily visible even with a photo of the underneath. Here is another car I have been trying to buy but it's much worse than it looks from the photos and the owner wants too much.
Good luck with your search. I dig that paint job, very period.

Offline tedtaylor

• TaylorMadeClassicCars
« Reply #9 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
the wheel trim rings (beauty rims, wheel embellishers, whatever...) are almost worth the value of the car by themselves!
notice the key lock just forward of the front left wheel arch?   probably a burglar alarm?    Seeing the foreign license plate, safe to assume this is on your side of the pond?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'13 Evora S
owned nearly 50 Lotus cars over the years!
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,January 04, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
OMG, the only way I'd take that is if it were free.  My hideo-meter went off the scale!

It's also an S2, not a TC.

I bought new beauty rims inexpensively when doing up mine.  Had to hunt a bit to find the correct narrow ones.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #11 on: Sunday,January 05, 2020, 01:20:15 AM »
Its funny how some love or hate the paint job, for me its the main reason for wanting this particular car, I love it. Ted great info about the beauty rims ( I never knew this) and yes its in the Uk  but had been standing in Texas for about 20 years and does not run or drive. some more pics of the modified 70s seats and details of the custom paint shop who did the work.

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #12 on: Sunday,January 05, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »
The interior is something as well.  I would drive this with a bumper sticker "My Other Car is a Gremlin".
I loved the 70,s, wish I remembered more of the era.  :beerchug:
« Last Edit: Sunday,January 05, 2020, 08:18:46 AM by 1970EuropaGuy »

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #13 on: Sunday,January 05, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »
Its funny how some love or hate the paint job, for me its the main reason for wanting this particular car, I love it. Ted great info about the beauty rims ( I never knew this) and yes its in the Uk  but had been standing in Texas for about 20 years and does not run or drive. some more pics of the modified 70s seats and details of the custom paint shop who did the work.

That is too funny! I drive through Abilene a few times a year. I will have to see if Rick is still around...

Ted, your car's serial is 8 units younger than my TCS! Mine is a 5 speed

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #14 on: Monday,January 13, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »
Did your car sell Ted?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....