Author Topic: FS Europa TC Ebay  (Read 1402 times)

Offline cal44

FS Europa TC Ebay
« on: Monday,January 21, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »
L.A boys.........this is in your neck o' the woods.  Be curious what the reserve is. 

You will notice that the pictures are "very" selective, not in a good way.  Taken at certain angles to "not make clear" the entire area.  For instance, a picture of two carburetors..............really?.........two carburetors?

I like the car in white. 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIG-VALVE-TWIN-CAM-/281053536500?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid=111000&algo=REC.CURRENT&ao=1&asc=27&meid=5044026682771944140&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=4&sd=140908303761&&forcev4exp=true
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Roger

Re: FS Europa TC Ebay
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 21, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
I must be blind, as I don't see the issues. Looks like a TCS to me, with "normal" modifications. Dashboard's a bit grungy, car doesn't look all that special, but OK.
So what am I not seeing?

Offline cal44

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 05:22:43 AM »
I always question pictures taken in the shade, creates shadows (as you point out, the dash).   Don't get me wrong, if I lived closer I would go take a look.  Since I got spanked on my last car I am very conscious, perhaps a little to much, of mumbo jumbo sellers try and pull. 
And, this looks to be a dealer..............nuf said concerning them.............

It sure does look good in white.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »
I got to admit, the ad says 'procede with caution' to me. It looks like a nice, well loved Europa. However, the photographs do miss a lot. The real 'warning sign' is the way the car is described. Lots of talk about it being the best on several points, when in fact all evidence suggests that it is merely average. A bit of ambiguous talk on its greatness, but nothing in the pictures to support it. In fact, aside from its clean average condition, there are a couple of signs of uninspired workmanship, and 51,000 miles is not exceptionally low mileage for a Europa.

I'm not out to tear this guy apart, and it DOES look like a nice car, but I get a bad vibe from the ad.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Roger

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »
I always question pictures taken in the shade, creates shadows (as you point out, the dash).   Don't get me wrong, if I lived closer I would go take a look.  Since I got spanked on my last car I am very conscious, perhaps a little to much, of mumbo jumbo sellers try and pull. 
And, this looks to be a dealer..............nuf said concerning them.............

It sure does look good in white.

So what was your carburetor comment about, please?

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
The listing would benefit from more complete pictures and it may not be "one of the very best low mileage, fully documented Lotus Europas to come to market," but it looks quite nice to me.

Anyone know what's the story with the odd looking plugs on cover plates where the pre-heater tubes once connected to the intake manifold?  Mine and others I've seen have simple flat cover plates.  What would be the use of the plugs be?
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »

Anyone know what's the story with the odd looking plugs on cover plates where the pre-heater tubes once connected to the intake manifold?  Mine and others I've seen have simple flat cover plates.  What would be the use of the plugs be?

Looks like he used a coupe of pipeplugs  :confused:
Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline TheKid#9

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,January 22, 2013, 08:47:36 PM »
I think this Europa is a very good looking, inside and out! Even though the pictures are taken in the shade, it still looks good and original in some areas of the car. It looks like its been taken care of as well looking at all the documentation. It is not the lowest mileage Europa though... Their was one for sale on Hemmings that I think was better than this one that only had around 25K miles on it and that one was all original if I remember correctly. Their are only a couple of things that I don't like about the car. How the car is presented is one. Make better pictures of a car if it looks that good, and it doesn't have the original wheels... I love the original wheels on the Europa! If you are going to restore one to original spec and have over $30K in receipts at least get the right wheels, just my opinion. Its all about taste though...

My Europa engine only has a little over 10K on it. The original owner dropped a valve in the 76 I believe and then let it sit for about 20 years until he sold the car. The second owner rebuilt the engine and let it sit for years until it was passed on to me! So I believe that my engine only has a little over 10K original miles on it from what I heard from the previous owner. Who knows if that's true but I think it is!

Good looking Europa! I wonder what it will sell for. We can at least see how the market is doing with this one...

Offline andy harwood

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,January 26, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
it appears to have gone for $17,100.
looked like a nice car.